Help choosing between Clinical psychology and MD (Psychiatry)

Oct 4, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Psychology
Hi there. I'm currently finishing my BSc in Psychology. I'm just thinking about the next step and I'm utterly confused. I've always had an interest in medicine but for some reason I chose psychology. I like psychology but I also like medicine. I don't know which to go into. should I choose clinical psychology or should I go into MBBS /MD and specialize in psychiatry. I've interned in a psychiatric hospital under a team of psychiatrists and I really like it. I just feel that psychology wont be as satisfying and I'm just really confused. would really like some help from someone who's had to make this decision. thank you

Doctor Eliza

10+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
You've worked with psychiatrists and liked it, you don't know why you majored in psychology, and you think psychology won't be as satisfying. I can't imagine why you'd go into psychology over psychiatry in this scenario!

Reactions: 1 user

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
I agree with Dr. E--from your post, I really don't see anything that's actually driving you toward psychology other than that you've majored in it. If you've shadowed/interned in psychiatric settings and have enjoyed the types of things you've seen psychiatrists doing, then that sounds like the appropriate career path to me.

For me personally, it was the opposite--medical knowledge is inherently interesting to me, and I continue to shore up on it when I can, but there's just no way I could see myself enjoying doing what physicians do everyday (regardless of specialty). Except maybe neuroradiologists; that seems like a pretty sweet gig.

About the Ads

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
You can get what you want out of being a psychologist while practicing as a psychiatrist.

This statement doesn't make any sense.

AcronymAllergy

Neuropsychologist
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
You can get what you want out of being a psychologist while practicing as a psychiatrist, but you can't reverse that. Needless to say it's generally harder to get into medical school and more expensive but I would argue better job security/opportunities, better pay, prescribing abilities. If I could've cut it as a pre-med and it wouldn't have been such a gamble w/ my future, I definitely would've pursued that route.

Not to entirely re-hash old threads/arguments, but I'd personally disagree with the bolded statement. Depends on the basis of comparison, though--all psychology programs vs. only US medical (allo and osteo) programs or vs. all (Caribbean included) med programs? Or only funded psychology programs vs. one of those med school groupings? Etc.

Also, getting what you want out of psychology as a psychiatrist is going to depend on what it is the OP wants. Although in this case, I'd agree that psychiatry seems to be the better choice, given that they (the OP) has worked with psychiatrists and enjoys what they do, and is already having doubts about psychology.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads