Help! Choosing my last english course!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which course should I take?

• Costuming 1

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Special Topics: David Lynch

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Post-Colonial Literature

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

runawayclock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to put up with the stupid English requirement (me fail english? that's unpossible!), so I'm applying as a special student again after my graduation to come back for ONE English course... I've narrowed it down to three that i'm really interested in, and I wanted some help picking which would be best for my transcript. All are 300 level courses.

(I'm not too worried about the level of writing, since my last 400 level english class was an A- and have done a lot of other humanities courses.)

1. Costuming for the Stage 1 - read script, analyze characters, come up with costume designs. Coolest part is that you get to actually do it for a real play that the uni theater production will put on at the end of the semester. I already have some experience making clothes and drafting patterns from my high school classes in design, but haven't done a proper course since being in Uni... thankfully the final project is actually only worth 30%.

2. Special Topics - David Lynch. Eraserhead, his Hollywood trilogy, Twin Peaks (!!!) and his work in other media. I'm a big fan of Twin Peaks and some of his other stuff, but sometimes he feels a bit too pretentious and absurd for me. Might be really cool, might make me want to gouge my eyes out trying to extract meaning from strange owls flying about in the northwest.

3. Post-colonial literature - The Remains of the Day, No Sweetness Here. Awesome reading list in this class and no final (just discussion and papers). Might be a bit boring, but probably easiest.

Costuming interests me the most, because I haven't taken anything like that before, but I'm worried that they won't accept it as an English class (but it is offered by the Dept. of English, with prefix ENGL in the course number). It isn't substantial writing/reading, but it is quite a bit of work and probably pretty unusual for a pre-med elective. What do you think?? Costuming, Lynch, or Post-colonial???

Members don't see this ad.

I voted for post-colonial lit. The costuming class sounds awesome, but if you're worried about it satisfying the requirement I'd go with one of the other two, post-colonial sounds easier, fairly interesting, and will definitely fill the requirement.

Uh, I and II do not sound like literature/writing intensive English classes to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, I and II do not sound like literature/writing intensive English classes to me.

A lot of schools that I spoke with that had an English requirement told me that any course that has a course number starting with ENGL will do - hence my looking for more interesting courses (If the requirement was just a year's worth of writing-intensive courses in the humanities, I would have that several times over). Also, the grading scheme in the Lynch course is i think almost 100% based on essays.

Wouldn't you rather take a class on like.. Contemporary Fiction or something cool instead of old books?

I would go with post-colonial lit just for safety but it seems like you're equally interested in all of them which kinda makes it hard to chose. At least you know whichever one you chose you'll be happy

i think old books are cool. :p

i took a class on american literature from 1900+ to like 1950, not gonna lie, it was awesome. in that class i was actually for the first time introduced to the idea of masculinity in literature, and how in most if not all conversations people strive for dominance in some shape or form. i am a biochem major and not from this country really, so i thought these things were really cool. oh and we discussed in what it means to be american in some of the texts we have read, which just turns out it means you are white lol.