Help Choosing Schools! 3.6 gGPA 3.0 uGPA 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlinthebar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First MCAT (2013) 26 (55%) - expired
Second MCAT (2015) 29 (73%)
Third MCAT (2017) 513 (90%) - 128/128/128/129

State: NJ Resident

Race: Asian

Undergrad: Private Top 30 (Economics)

Grad (MS): Private Top 20 Med School (Physiology) - Finished in 10 months + completed additional semester of courses to boost GPA

Clinical experience: Mental Health Clinician (4000 hours, 2 years), Founder of Non-Profit/Work in Nutritional Health for Disadvantaged Population (5000 hours, 3 years), Epilepsy Grand Rounds (30 hours, 1 year)

Research experience: Economic Theory Research (3 years, 300 hours), Clinical Researcher in Neurology Lab (2 years, 1000 hours), 3 Neurology Publications (2nd, 4th, 6th author)

Shadowing: Neuro-ICU (150 hours), Overseas OB/GYN and Prenatal (250 hours),

Non-Clinical Volunteering: New York Cares (60 hours, 1 year), Music Outreach at Nursing Homes (200 hours, 4 years), Autism Outreach ( 4 years, 200 hours)

Other ECs: NCAA Div. I Fencer (600 hours), Juilliard Violinist (5000 hours), Ranked University Table Tennis Player (300 hours), University Student Gov't Board Member (60 hours, 1 year)

LORs: Stellar letters - 1 from clinical work experience, 2 from clinical research, and 1 committee letter from grad school

Relevant Honors/Awards: Academic Scholarship for National Merit Scholar (top 5% of class), University-Wide Grad Student Leadership Award

Story: Low GPA resulted from dealing with a death of parent due (cardiovascular disease) and having to support the family while finishing college. Personal experience with father further motivated me to pursue medicine and help those who were disadvantaged and/or had similar needs.

Interests: CVD/Obesity, Pediatrics, Mental Health (Neurology), Global Health Concerns on Healthcare Delivery

Uncertain where to apply due to low undergrad GPA, however also only looking to apply to MD schools. I have been several years out of college and there is an upward trend from freshman year to grad school. Focusing on targeting my state school and schools in the NYC/Tri-State area - short list includes: RWJ, Rowan, NJMS, Columbia, Albert, and Icahn. Chances for school list?

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Brown
Columbia
Cooper
Drexel
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Hofstra
Icahn
NJMS
NYMC
NYU
Penn State
Quinnipiac
RWJ
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Weill
UBuffalo
UPenn
URoch

Members don't see this ad.

Grad (MS): Private Top 20 Med School (Physiology) - Finished in 10 months + completed additional semester of courses to boost GPA

Clinical experience: Mental Health Clinician (4000 hours, 2 years), Founder of Non-Profit/Work in Nutritional Health for Disadvantaged Population (5000 hours, 3 years), Epilepsy Grand Rounds (30 hours, 1 year)

Research experience: Economic Theory Research (3 years, 300 hours), Clinical Researcher in Neurology Lab (2 years, 1000 hours), 3 Neurology Publications (2nd, 4th, 6th author)

Non-Clinical Volunteering: New York Cares (60 hours, 1 year), Music Outreach at Nursing Homes (200 hours, 4 years), Autism Outreach ( 4 years, 200 hours)

Other ECs: NCAA Div. I Fencer (600 hours), Juilliard Violinist (5000 hours), Ranked University Table Tennis Player (300 hours), University Student Gov't Board Member (60 hours, 1 year)

LORs: Stellar letters - 1 from clinical work experience, 2 from clinical research, and 1 committee letter from grad school

Relevant Honors/Awards: Academic Scholarship for National Merit Scholar (top 5% of class), University-Wide Grad Student Leadership Award

Story: Low GPA resulted from dealing with a death of parent due (cardiovascular disease) and having to support the family while finishing college. Personal experience with father further motivated me to pursue medicine and help those who were disadvantaged and/or had similar needs.

Interests: CVD/Obesity, Pediatrics, Mental Health (Neurology), Global Health Concerns on Healthcare Delivery

Uncertain where to apply due to low undergrad GPA, however also only looking to apply to MD schools. I have been several years out of college and there is an upward trend from freshman year to grad school. Focusing on targeting my state school and schools in the NYC/Tri-State area - short list includes: RWJ, Rowan, NJMS, Columbia, Albert, and Icahn. Chances for school list?

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Brown
Columbia
Cooper
Drexel
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Hofstra
Icahn
NJMS
NYMC
NYU
Penn State
Quinnipiac
RWJ
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Weill
UBuffalo
UPenn
URoch

School List:
Albany
Albert Einstein
Boston
Brown
Columbia
Cooper
Drexel
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Harvard
Hofstra
Icahn
NJMS
NYMC
NYU
Penn State
Quinnipiac
RWJ
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Weill
UBuffalo
UPenn
URoch
Here is a more realistic list:
All 3 NJ MD schools
The Philly Triplets
Netter
Albany
NYMC
Any DO school, starting with Rowan. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
You have several red flags for a reinventor aiming at MD: 3x MCATs, post-bac GPA of 3.6 is not that stellar...should be > 3.7. Research MS's viewed less favorably by MD schools than SMPs. Hence, chances best with the NJ schools. I'm not sanguine about any others.

Members don't see this ad :)
School list is totally unrealistic. You'll never get into half of those schools. Pick lower tier MD schools and Goro's suggested DO schools. It's getting late for MD applications this year, but DO applications should still be good. Don't turn your nose up at DO schools.

If you must do MD, consider an SMP. But keep in mind that you'd have to spend a few more years to get in, assuming you did well in the SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT is pretty good, but it's your third try. Your GPA is below every school's average. I think you will have a lot of success at DO schools. You might have some success at MD schools if you apply wisely. That school list just isn't realistic.

In addition to Goro's list I think you have a shot at:
Penn State
Geisinger commonwealth
Rush (due to your volunteering hours)
Rosalind Franklin
Wayne State
Quinnipiac

You are competitive at most DO schools.