Dec 23, 2009
Australia or NYC or CT
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dingo. So, at this point, I have three options for the summer:

1) UWash SMDEP

2) Research Associate at Feinstein Institute at LIJ in NY

3) NIH Health Internship in New Mexico with Native Americans

So, I have opinions about each of them and different factors are coming into play. But, I wanted to ask you guys what your opinions were on any of these things. Is there one thing which you think might offer a clear greater advantage over the other in terms of medschool applications? I especially wanna ask if SMDEP would help that much more than either of the two?

Guys, I want you to do your best to persuade me to go a particular route.
thanks,
renz.

Zorrix

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dingo. So, at this point, I have three options for the summer:

1) UWash SMDEP

2) Research Associate at Feinstein Institute at LIJ in NY

3) NIH Health Internship in New Mexico with Native Americans

So, I have opinions about each of them and different factors are coming into play. But, I wanted to ask you guys what your opinions were on any of these things. Is there one thing which you think might offer a clear greater advantage over the other in terms of medschool applications? I especially wanna ask if SMDEP would help that much more than either of the two?

Guys, I want you to do your best to persuade me to go a particular route.
thanks,
renz.

If you are a freshman do SMDEP...

Dec 24, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Come on guys, no one else thinks anything?

This can't be a serious question. Go to SMDEP. I'm going to the one in Nebraska myself. Going to SMDEP as a freshman makes you a valuable commodity as a pre-med student. People on campus where I am that are pre-med envy me because I got in. SMDEP will help you the most.

randombetch

Removed
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
If you are a freshman do SMDEP...
This can't be a serious question. Go to SMDEP. I'm going to the one in Nebraska myself. Going to SMDEP as a freshman makes you a valuable commodity as a pre-med student. People on campus where I am that are pre-med envy me because I got in. SMDEP will help you the most.
Wtf? What's so good about SMDEP? I thought about applying and decided to do research after my freshman year instead. I'm sure I made the right decision.

Go with research. If you foresee yourself lacking clinical exp, do the NIH thing.

Jan 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
DO NOT DO SMDEP!!!

It is a HUGE waste of time. My time at SMDEP consisted of mostly going to lectures of classes that I had already taken or was about to take. At least at my site, there was minimal shadowing or clinical experience. The best thing I got out of it was being able to go to the gross anatomy lab a few times.

Talk to someone that went to the SMDEP site you're considering in a lot of detail so you know EXACTLY what you'd be getting into. My expectations of what SMDEP would be (the way it was advertised) and what I actually got out of it were completely different.

You will be better served by doing research or getting some clinical experience. (I'd go with research)

At the beginning of the fall you will realize that you wasted a summer and the "valuable commodities" will be the students that used their summer to get a head-start on research or other productive extra-curricular activities.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the above posters who said that if you're a freshman, do SMDEP, especially if you are interested at all in going to UW for medical school. I did this the summer after my freshman year. The classes varied in their helpfulness, but I found many of the sessions, volunteering, and shadowing to be very valuable experiences. Furthermore, when you interview, you will also have an interview with the Office of Multicultural Affairs. If you did SMDEP, then they already know you and can see how far you've come over the years. It's an extra point of reference, and alumni from the program who are already in med school are more than welcome to answer any questions or help you out with things when you interview. You have three summers during undergrad, and not all of them need to be spent researching or doing internships.