Help choosing where to apply for a graduate student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmphun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my master's degree in biology this year, and over the summer decided that I wanted to do drug work on a far more clinical level than lab based basic science work, so I am applying to pharmacy school.

However, now that I am looking over my options for pharmacy school, I can't seem to decide where to apply. Furthermore, I really have no clue as to how to pick which schools may be right for me. Applying for graduate school, I only thought about which professor I would work for, and what project I would do for them. However, going back to only taking classes as a student, this won't matter. What are good, unbiased criteria that actually matter when picking a school, and where can I find the data (e.g. I refuse to apply to a school with a less than 90% first attempt NAPLEX pass rate)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up my master's degree in biology this year, and over the summer decided that I wanted to do drug work on a far more clinical level than lab based basic science work, so I am applying to pharmacy school.

However, now that I am looking over my options for pharmacy school, I can't seem to decide where to apply. Furthermore, I really have no clue as to how to pick which schools may be right for me. Applying for graduate school, I only thought about which professor I would work for, and what project I would do for them. However, going back to only taking classes as a student, this won't matter. What are good, unbiased criteria that actually matter when picking a school, and where can I find the data (e.g. I refuse to apply to a school with a less than 90% first attempt NAPLEX pass rate)?
Personally, I found cost of attendance to be a huge factor in determining where I would apply. If you have access to cheaper state schools, I would start looking there. If they offer the sort of coursework that you find rigorous and interesting, then I'd narrow in on those.

Hey pharmphun, I know exactly how you feel: how do you choose between so many great schools, and what factors really matter when you're deciding between them?!

You might want to start your search as broad as possible, and narrow it down from there. Do you have any specific goals or interests, such as retail or community pharmacy, or working in a hospital, or research? Some schools have more opportunities to gain specific experiences that are aligned with these goals, or graduate more students into a given field that you might be interested in.

There are also "accelerated" programs that will graduate you in 3 years, as opposed to 4. Obviously there are advantages (and disadvantages) to consider with each, but if you feel strongly either way, this can also help you narrow down your list.

Where you want to live matters more than you think! In-state tuition tends to be more affordable than out-of-state tuition, which is certainly something to think about. Pharmacy schools in urban vs. rural settings will each offer different practical experiences, which matters if you know where you would like to practice. Plus, being happy is so important in pharmacy school - and place plays a big part. Some students really value living near their family--or in a location with amazing running trails--or in a city with accessible public transport. The importance of location is oftentimes undervalued.

Also, you'll be happier as a pharmacy student if you enjoy the environment and culture of the institution itself. Once you've narrowed down your list, do some research on the values and environment at each pharmacy school to see if you can envision spending the next 3-4 years there. Get to know the students there during your interview visit and ask them about what they like about their program.

I'm sure there are lots of other ideas about how to pare down your list, but hopefully this will help you get started. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! As of right now, all of the public schools I've been looking at are cheaper out of state than Minnesota is in state, so cost won't be a huge factor in choosing out of that pool. I'm not sure I want to stay in Minnesota much longer, but I don't know that I want to pass up on the #2 school in the US, that has told me I have a strong chance of getting in, pending my PCAT results. (As of now, I'm thinking of UIC, Pitt, Utah, and Ohio State.)

Thanks! As of right now, all of the public schools I've been looking at are cheaper out of state than Minnesota is in state, so cost won't be a huge factor in choosing out of that pool. I'm not sure I want to stay in Minnesota much longer, but I don't know that I want to pass up on the #2 school in the US, that has told me I have a strong chance of getting in, pending my PCAT results. (As of now, I'm thinking of UIC, Pitt, Utah, and Ohio State.)
There's no reason not to apply, right? See where you get in and see how you feel after your interviews! Having too many schools to choose between is the best kind of problem to have, right?