HELP!! Clinical Psych in Edu. vs. MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIC7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted in Teachers College Columbia University Clinical Psych in Edu. MA program. However, I just graduated as a NYS Elementary teacher. But its hard to get a teaching job now and I want to start my MA. Now I am working part-time at a social work agency. My friend is a director and she is telling more and more about considering a MSW. But I have done some research and although a job is granted as soon as I graduate with a MSW. I don't feel that helping the community is my calling. What I strive and look for is to help children (hence that is what i look to focuse my studies in!) and i want to help them with mental health issues. I see myself working in a variety of settings not only in a mental health hospital but in a school or a government agency etc... But I am crossed because I feel that I have this talent and opportunity but i dont know how or where to channel myself to. I am looking to fulfill that calling I have and even though I want to make $$ I want to help CHILDREN after all no matter how long. HELP!!! Let me know what you think...:confused::rolleyes::idea:

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to look into school psychology.

This is a good place to start: http://www.nasponline.org/about_sp/whatis.aspx

Edited to add: you can specialize in school social work as an MSW as well. School social workers tend to work more directly and individually with students than school psychologists do.

Last edited:
I just got accepted in Teachers College Columbia University Clinical Psych in Edu. MA program. However, I just graduated as a NYS Elementary teacher. But its hard to get a teaching job now and I want to start my MA. Now I am working part-time at a social work agency. My friend is a director and she is telling more and more about considering a MSW. But I have done some research and although a job is granted as soon as I graduate with a MSW. I don't feel that helping the community is my calling. What I strive and look for is to help children (hence that is what i look to focuse my studies in!) and i want to help them with mental health issues. I see myself working in a variety of settings not only in a mental health hospital but in a school or a government agency etc... But I am crossed because I feel that I have this talent and opportunity but i dont know how or where to channel myself to. I am looking to fulfill that calling I have and even though I want to make $$ I want to help CHILDREN after all no matter how long. HELP!!! Let me know what you think...:confused::rolleyes::idea:

I have an MSW. Not all social workers work in the community or take people's kids away. Most MSWs are therapists. If you want to be a child and family therapist, you can achieve this with an MSW in a clinical social work program with practicum placements and faculty that focus on clinical social work/therapy with children (NOT case management with children). If you want to do testing in addition to therapy, you can get a PhD/PsyD in clinical or counseling psychology, but beware that it is a very competitive and humbling admission process. Your best is not good enough in clinical psych doc admissions and exceptional student = average student. I agree with smitten in that you should look into school psychology. It is less competitive and a PhD/EdD in school psych can gain licesure as a psychologist (same licensure as clinical or counseling psych) in some states. Your teaching and education background will also be a big plus in school psych. I decided to go for a PsyD based in my goals. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you to Smitten for your response but I do not want to stay in a school setting that is why I decided to branch out. and PsyDLICSW after many conversations with my friend who is an MSW director and spoke with a person who is LCSW I am understanding more what Social workers do but i still seem to see myself as helping children going through some sort of trauma and not only family issues unless that is my only option. But I have been thinking to try one semester of Clinical Psych in Edu. and try a class in social work and see how I feel but thank you for your response. :):)

Thank you to Smitten for your response but I do not want to stay in a school setting that is why I decided to branch out. and PsyDLICSW after many conversations with my friend who is an MSW director and spoke with a person who is LCSW I am understanding more what Social workers do but i still seem to see myself as helping children going through some sort of trauma and not only family issues unless that is my only option. But I have been thinking to try one semester of Clinical Psych in Edu. and try a class in social work and see how I feel but thank you for your response. :):)

You can do clinical work related to trauma with children in social work. An MSW qualifies you for clinical licensure as a therapist and I think most of the training and experience you get comes from working as a therapist/therapist intern and working with someone who does this kind of work. The University of Kentucky has a clinical social work track that prepared students for therapy work. Hope this helps.