help: Columbia online app 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are the instructions for filling out this thing online? I clicked on downloadable forms and then instruction booklet, but nothing happens. I can't believe AMCAS is actually doing a better job than they are.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having many problems with the Columbia app and the Tech Support replies are generic and won't answer my questions.

For instance, they only let you put 10 courses per year. I took more than 10 courses every year!

Also, it requires that you enter a Graduate GPA, even though most applicants haven't been to graduate school.

Finally, for the MD/PhD part, it requires the entry of GRE scores, even though the test is not required.

Anyone have any answers?

I thought the Columbia app was waaaay easier than AMCAS last year. Are you guys doing it on-line through the embark.com website? Just leave the graduate GPA space blank. Ditto for GRE There's a blank page at the end of the application where you can put extra coursework and/or anything else you want them to know that there isn't room for on the application. Good luck to you both! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
it isn't embark.com anymore - but though its a bit glitchy, if you keep on trying it works. brute force never fails. except when it does.
-jot

OK, so I finally figured out that my Acrobat Reader wasn't working properly. But even when I was able to read their "instruction booklet," it says nothing about how to actually fill out the online application itself. Does Columbia have anything comparable to the AMCAS 90-page instruction booklet?

for courses that you withdrew or went for P/F (no number grade equivalent), how do you fill those in?

also, for the following question on the app
----------------------------------
5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*

Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1104 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.
---------------------------------

How do you list your work experiences, do you need to describe them?

can we attach additional info in a word file like last year? like ones personal statement?

SMW,

The GRE and graduate GPAs are required fields, meanign that it will keep giving an error and not let you submit unless you fill them out.

Gee, sounds like Columbia decided to ditch their glitch-free embark.com app from last year and follow in AMCAS's footsteps. :rolleyes: Sorry I gave the wrong info. :oops: I guess I would email or call their admissions office to find out what to do.

I visited the Columbia's application page today and noticed that they have fixed most of the problems that we've encountered thus far. Graduate GPA is no longer a requied field, and you can also enter pass/fail courses now. The only annoyance is that all of courses that I've entered have disappeared :mad: . Oh, well...

son of a ---- thats annoying, ahwell shouldn't take that long to put them back in.
-jot