Help!!! Columbia P&S info needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Does anyone have any info on the average number of hours a typical week is spent on lecture hours for 1st and 2nd year P&S students. Also is it mainly PBL or traditional mode lectures and how are the exams broken down? Lastly for those of you that were fortunate to attend the 2nd look, what were your impressions? How diverse was the class? I did not previously consider P&S as a viable option so I did not make it out for their 2nd look weekend...obviously i am having a change of heart and any input would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the exact number, but P&S is heavy on lecture time. Its curriculum is pretty traditional, and is somewhat negligent of advances in newer PBL methods used by schools like Cornell, Pitt and Harvard. It suits some learning styles better than others, though, if you prefer learning in the classroom better than in small groups.

Good luck in your decision making. You've got a great option at your disposal.

I repeat...Goto UCSF... Good for you and good for me :D

From my interview notes, my P&S tour guides said it's about 40% lecture, 40% lab, and 10% small group learning (Even they don't know what the rest of 10% is, b/c they're sorta reading off the notes given to them by the school).

But then again, you can skip the lectures you don't find interesting/useful...so I wouldn't make that a big factor in your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many hours P&S students are in a class (either small group, lecture, or whatever) during a typical day? How does it compare with schools like UCSF, where students generally have class only 8am - noon.

I too missed the Columbia 2nd look weekend but now think it might be a good option.

why aren't more people stoked about going to UCSF? Is it the tuition hike?
There are people on this board turning down UCSF left and right for other schools?!? Just curious.

geez, this turned into another UCSF vs. Columbia thread. :laugh: Cutting and pasting my post from the other thread:

...this topic has been discussed in another thread before. I'll post the link for you. To summarize, the vote from most of the long time posters, including admissions superstars like Habari and souljah, was for UCSF hands down, especially if you're a Cali resident. Can't be beat. On an entertaining note, indianboy mentioned that you would be "a dirty ponce" for turning down UCSF as a Cali resident for Columbia.

Here it is: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=109730&highlight=columbia+ucsf

I didn't intend to turn this into UCSF vs. Columbia :D

But I know Supereagles have many options, and UCSF and Columbia are among the two...If I were him, UCSF all the way!

CalBeE said:
I didn't intend to turn this into UCSF vs. Columbia :D

But I know Supereagles have many options, and UCSF and Columbia are among the two...If I were him, UCSF all the way!

Thanks CalBeE. Men, my crystal ball tells me that exmike's prediction is about to be realized. Columbia is sure to bring some positive news for you in the coming weeks. :thumbup:

on the columbia website i was able to access the student schedule for the first year...if you find it, you'll be able to find out the exact answer to your question.

good luck!