Quantcast

help! confused about medical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cortana112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Ok. so I VERY recently found my calling. I want to be a Cardiothoracic surgeon. It took much soulsearching to reach this conclusion but I FINALLY feel at peace. My only problem is that im about 45 units of passing grades into college but I feel like because I wanted to be a teacher before and didnt get As and Bs I have already ruined my chances and Im only 20. well I got all As and Bs except for the 3 classes that I failed, and opted to retake for a higher grade. I am retaking one of them now and will get a B in it and the other one I retook last year and failed again because I didnt know what I was doing and was partying too much. (these failed classes are organismal Biology which I'm earning a B in now,and inorganic chemistry the first section, which I failed twice because I was immature and didnt care.) I took last semester off and really thought about my life, I realized that I was burnt out from highschool and wanted to have my fun where I could, I also realized that I was being an idiot and after lots of other crazy experiences I knew what I wanted to do. Thing is I KNOW I can get As in EVERYTHING from now on, the only thing is I feel like I'm utterly screwed. My counselor said I can get academic renewal (omiting certain grades from my gpa, but only classes I will never retake). My question is do you guys think I have a chance? I am very hard working and intelligent, Im sooooo discouraged, please help!

chman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

If I were you I would check into DO schools. It is still medical school, but they have a more lenient policy about retakes (MD schools just average them, where DO schools replace). Plus average GPA is a bit lower too. It is a little hard to tell you everything without knowing all the details (classes you need, GPA, etc). But it has been done before, but it is a tough road, I won't lie.

PS, Do forum is just a couple down if you want to check it out. They would be able to tell you more than me.

dd128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your gpa now?

So you are halfway through your sophomore year right? Med schools look fondly on upward trends so if you can get your act together and pull up to a 3.5-3.6 with a very strong upward trend and good mcat you may have a shot. Special masters programs are always an option for those with less than desirable grades as well.

mfrizzo3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. so I VERY recently found my calling. I want to be a Cardiothoracic surgeon. It took much soulsearching to reach this conclusion but I FINALLY feel at peace. My only problem is that im about 45 units of passing grades into college but I feel like because I wanted to be a teacher before and didnt get As and Bs I have already ruined my chances and Im only 20. well I got all As and Bs except for the 3 classes that I failed, and opted to retake for a higher grade. I am retaking one of them now and will get a B in it and the other one I retook last year and failed again because I didnt know what I was doing and was partying too much. (these failed classes are organismal Biology which I'm earning a B in now,and inorganic chemistry the first section, which I failed twice because I was immature and didnt care.) I took last semester off and really thought about my life, I realized that I was burnt out from highschool and wanted to have my fun where I could, I also realized that I was being an idiot and after lots of other crazy experiences I knew what I wanted to do. Thing is I KNOW I can get As in EVERYTHING from now on, the only thing is I feel like I'm utterly screwed. My counselor said I can get academic renewal (omiting certain grades from my gpa, but only classes I will never retake). My question is do you guys think I have a chance? I am very hard working and intelligent, Im sooooo discouraged, please help!

And modest....

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Ok, what is your cumulative gpa at this point? And what is your cumulative science gpa? Your writing is not very clear.. I get it that you screwed up but what exactly is the damage. More precise info please. you are a senior, junior, sophomore, and what is your science and cumulative gpa? Be specific and then we can help you.

TexasMDtobe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, you're not screwed.

Get A's from now on and retake the basic sciences you failed. Stop messing around and get the grades you need to.

As said above, the Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) route may allow you to overcome those failing science grades easier than the MD route, as the DO application service allows you to replace a poor grade if you retake the class and do better.

Secondly, a lot more is needed than just grades. Get a volunteer gig at a local hospital or clinic and start clocking those volunteer hours. Also contact a local doctor or two (easy to do if you volunteer at a medical facility) and shadow them for a few days. This allows you to gain a working knowledge of medical practice while demonstrating your committment to medicine to the admissions committees of the med schools to which you will apply in a few years.

NPHisyourLord

Removed
Reaction score
Ok. so I VERY recently found my calling. I want to be a Cardiothoracic surgeon...

Really, I mean, really? You haven't even gotten accepted to a medical school and you already "know" what you want to be, really? That's what internships for is figuring out what you want to be. None of this, I saw Callie cut open a chest on Grey's Anatomy and I thought I want to be an orthopedic surgeon crap.

Wake up, and focus on getting into Medical School then worry about residency.

...Cardiothoracic surgeon, Really?...

NPH

chman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really, I mean, really? You haven't even gotten accepted to a medical school and you already "know" what you want to be, really? That's what internships for is figuring out what you want to be. None of this, I saw Callie cut open a chest on Grey's Anatomy and I thought I want to be an orthopedic surgeon crap.

Wake up, and focus on getting into Medical School then worry about residency.

...Cardiothoracic surgeon, Really?...

NPH

Dude, does everyone need to say something about this. Why not let the person dream a little? Obviously she might change her mind, and is being a bit presumptuous, but is it really necessary for everyone to chime in?

NPHisyourLord

Removed
Reaction score
Dude, does everyone need to say something about this. Why not let the person dream a little? Obviously she might change her mind, and is being a bit presumptuous, but is it really necessary for everyone to chime in?

Dreaming is great, Hopefully she can also pay her rent with rainbows and fireflies.

No one is saying she shouldn't dream, but she also shouldn't walk around thinking she's destined to be some surgeon. She should keep her options open.

Ultimately, hope and dreams won't get you into medical school or into a residency. Get awesome grades, do amazing on the MCAT and you're set.

NPH

D

da8s0859q

Ok. so I VERY recently found my calling. I want to be a Cardiothoracic surgeon ... 45 units of passing grades into college ... didnt get As and Bs ... I am retaking one of them now ... I was immature and didnt care ... I KNOW I can get As in EVERYTHING from now on ... do you guys think I have a chance? I am very hard working and intelligent, Im sooooo discouraged, please help!

You've got an uphill battle compared to the kid who's still pulling a 3.5+ in his first semester of college, and yeah, it's good to have dreams, but I'm not at all convinced that you'll still want to do CT surg come four years from now. You do have a chance, and you jolly well better be hard-working to get into / through medical school.

Realistically, you're going to have to kick some asses on the way to your bachelor's degree (and definitely on the MCAT, as it's not sounding like you're a shoe-in for a stellar, semi-compensating final GPA), but you most certainly can still get into medical school if it's what you really and truly want to do. If you're willing to pursue a DO, then consider that; if not, well, it's time to batten down the hatches.

More the matter is whether this is what you really want to do. From the way things sound, now would be a fine time to make sure that you really want to go to medical school in the first place. If you do, great, you have an idea of what you need to do. If not, hey, I'm sure you could find lots of SDN medical students (and residents, and attendings) who would applaud your decision.

MegaProjectile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your MD chances are slim as of now even if you ace all your classes since your grades will be averaged. The competition is just too great seeing that the average GPA for MD matriculants is going up each year . Focus your effort on DO schools. Retake the classes, do well and your GPA should improve for DO schools.

CT surgery is not really competitive(bleak job market) so you can get to your dream via the DO route. Nothing should stop from pursuing your dream but play your cards right that way you don't end wasting time in futile effort.

riverjib

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why CT surgery? I'm curious about what made you decide THIS is the field for you.

Lots of people are hardworking and intelligent. In fact, there are plenty out there who were rejected this cycle with 3.7+ GPAs and decent (or great) MCAT scores. Lurk here for a while. There is so much that goes into getting into med school. Even if your numbers are excellent, you have to convince people that you love medicine, not just CT surgery.

Even those who are sure about medicine change their minds about specialties. My advice is to work your butt off, get clinical experience, and keep an open mind. Realistically, you have no idea where you'll end up. You can certainly enter med school with goals, but you need to be flexible and interested in medicine as a whole. Don't go into it if you're not willing to consider the multitude of other fields in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)

Slowpoke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As much soul searching as I have done... which is quite a bit, I have still not come to a end-all decision of what I want to do in my life, the only thing I am certain of is I want to do something great. I will agree with many of the posters here as you sound a little bit naive and in need of a good wake up call. However, you should also not let these wise-gentlemen push you down. If this is what you really want to do, well dammit, go out there and do it. If you fail at first, get up and try again.

Prove us wrong.

Ischemic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dreaming is great, Hopefully she can also pay her rent with rainbows and fireflies.

No one is saying she shouldn't dream, but she also shouldn't walk around thinking she's destined to be some surgeon. She should keep her options open.

Ultimately, hope and dreams won't get you into medical school or into a residency. Get awesome grades, do amazing on the MCAT and you're set.

NPH

There's a difference between dreaming and having a goal you're working towards. Pinpointing that end goal gives you something to focus on when things get tough and to motivate you day to day. Doesn't necessarily have to be CT surgery but everyone has/does something similar to this. I'll have to agree though that CT surgery is a dying field that's gradually being encroached upon by cardiologists and possibly interventional radiologists. Anyway, let the woman have dream/whatever if it helps her work harder you guys don't have to **** all over it just cause you don't agree with it.

DrArete

Removed
Reaction score
The people who do best in medicine are those who view it more as a job than a vocation.

Econ2MD

Reaction score
If medicine is your goal, and you are committed to it, it certainly is achievable. You have a tough row to hoe.

You have to find a way to do well in chemistry. You're facing two semesters of inorganic, two semesters of organic and likely biochemistry.

If you have a's and b's except for the 3 f's, you should be able to be competitive GPA-wise, even if a couple of b's are sprinkled in the next three years.

Please know that the only academic amnesty I am aware of is in Texas. It has its own stipulations and only applies to Texas medical schools. Regardless of what your school says, all courses go on your AMCAS application.

DO schools allow grade replacement...but there is a limit on the number of attempts. Do your research.

If you are committed to this route, start working on the volunteer/EC aspects of a strong application.

You're 20...it's o.k. not to know what you want to do with your life. It took me into my 30's to figure it out. Just don't slam any doors shut by continued poor academic performance.

Also know that most medical students change their mind wrt specialty. Don't get too specific with your goals. Even if that remains your focus, you need to convey an open mind to medical schools in the process.

D

da8s0859q

Please know that the only academic amnesty I am aware of is in Texas. It has its own stipulations and only applies to Texas medical schools.

Just don't slam any doors shut by continued poor academic performance.

Also know that most medical students change their mind wrt specialty.

Big +1 to all of this.

The academic amnesty policy to which Econ2MD refers is called Academic Fresh Start, but it won't apply to you for the immediate future (read: ten years, Texas residency required). See the TMDSAS mention of it FMI.

I'm already wavering on my ideas of specialty; granted, I was never convinced of the "original" specialty, but you cannot possibly rule out things about which you know next to nothing. Not an insult, btw -- just the way it is until MS-3 / MS-4 or some sort of other hands-on experience with the majority of 'em.

NPHisyourLord

Removed
Reaction score
There's a difference between dreaming and having a goal you're working towards. Pinpointing that end goal gives you something to focus on when things get tough and to motivate you day to day. Doesn't necessarily have to be CT surgery but everyone has/does something similar to this. I'll have to agree though that CT surgery is a dying field that's gradually being encroached upon by cardiologists and possibly interventional radiologists. Anyway, let the woman have dream/whatever if it helps her work harder you guys don't have to **** all over it just cause you don't agree with it.

No one is saying she shouldn't dream, I'm just saying be realistic. She hasn't even gotten into medical school and she already knows the residency she wants to do? Really?

I mean come on reality check guys! I just think she should worry about getting into a medical program then she can be any doctor she wants if she gets the scores IN MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Priorities, get them.

NPH

Jihad

Reaction score

Before you decide you want to do CT surgery you should take a long hard look at whether you want to be a DOCTOR in general. You have made it clear that your decision to enter medicine was a rapid one. Please know that it is likely that if/when you enter medical school you will likely change your mind on specialty and or may not get the residency you like due to its competitive nature. Continue to research your goals and take the necessary classes. If you enjoy science and are successful in classes then you should be able to get in somewhere (with decente ECs as well). Also consider the sacrifices and time required to achieve your lofty goal.

mic2377

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, you need to be frankly honest with yourself about being a CT surgeon. First, are you hard-working/smart enough to get the grades necessary to get into med school? Then, will you be hard-working/smart enough to be top of your class in med school and even be able to get into CT surgery? You need to take this one step at a time.

With this said, fire away. But, you are going to have to do a complete 180 to eventually get where you want to be. It was hard enough for me to get into med school with 2 C's on my transcript, even though they were from my freshman year. It is going to take an EXTRA helping of persistence in your case.

GoLytely

Reaction score
Interesting how destiny only reaches out to college freshmen when a CT surgeon or neurosurgeon is needed.

Interventional cardiology is the new cool (and employed) thing. Tell your friends.