Help! confused on how to book NYU flight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrbubbles

si,thats a black squirrel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm trying to book my flight + hotel for the NYU interview coming up..my problem is that i'm lookin on ORbitz to book it and i have NO clue which airport, hotel, is even close to NYU.

so far, i used La guardia aiport to stay at the "CLarion at the Laguardia airport"..

is that even close to NYU? or should i use JFK? help please..

i have no sense of direction.

Members don't see this ad.

maps.google.com

when i interviewed, i took a taxi and super shuttle to get from place to place.

from what i remember, jfk and la guardia are about the same distance from nyu. find a place to stay that is as close to nyu as possible.

I used La Guardia but it was a huge hassle, I think it is easier to get to Manhatten through JFK.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you may get up early....
In my case, I used Newark airport, and then took Supershuttle to my hotel near NYU at 5 mins away by walk.
When I came back to home, I booked from La Guardia airport.
It was about $35 (taxi) from the 34 st to the airport, and the traffic was bad....

you can either go to LGA or JFK...i used JFK. i think LGA is closer to manhattan though...
anyway, i wouldn't stay at hotel near by the airport. try to find a hotel in manhattan close to the school. That way you'll get to the school on time. when you arrive at the airport, you can either take subway or airport shuttle to go to your hotel (from JFK the shuttle was 20 dollars)
i stayed at podhotel (podhotel.com) - pretty nice. although you have to share a bathroom with two other rooms it was really really clean...there are 3 other bathrooms on the floor and you can even check which one is available from your room. they are all available most of the time...
i've heard many ppl stayed at hotel 17...
you can try and see if they have a room available

you take trains from any airport all the way to just south of NYU. you then take a bus.

being a little city savvy will save you a ton.

For sure, use JFK. I used JFK. book a hotel close to 1st ave and 24th street. then u can use subway to get there.

if u wanted to use subway(cheapest way $ 7 vs. taxi 60), use airtrains and go to jamaica station. then take train E towards manhatan, and then depending on what ever street, take the next one. ASK, ASK ASK> ask at JFK, they will give u the map, and mark it for u. then ask while u r in the airtrian.

It is a interesting ride. do it. its cheap and interesting

i flew to newark, stayed at a hotel next to the airport (ez because of complimentary shuttle). then the next morning, i woke up ~1.5 hours early to..
1. shuttle back to the airport
2. take airport airtran to newark train station
3. take train to penn station in nyc
4. walk to nyu, which is a good 20-30 minutes

sounds complicated but its very simple, easy, and cheap. plus the walk will wake you up and you have the chance to get a quick breakfast or drink. if you get lost walking ask new yorkers... contrary to popular belief they are mostly very willing to help you. gluck!

wow..i am definitely scared now lol.

so no one booked their flight + hotel through orbits.com or cheaptickets.com?

hmm..thanks for your guy's help.. pretty much, i should get up @ 4am so i can make it to NYu before 8 am? lol.

niccceeee

wow..i am definitely scared now lol.

so no one booked their flight + hotel through orbits.com or cheaptickets.com?

hmm..thanks for your guy's help.. pretty much, i should get up @ 4am so i can make it to NYu before 8 am? lol.

niccceeee

don't forget to factor in the time diff cuz ur originally from cali. >.<

Take the cab!!!! Maybe you'll find yourself in the CASH CAB!

yay finally booked it ..LAX --> JFK aiport

staying at the "La quinta inn" which is 4 miles from NYU

where the heck is long island anyway? is that close to touristy areas?

anyway, thanx for ur guys help

actually, i have heard of it!

damn..maybe i should try the cab. maybe i'll get back the $600 it cost me to book the flight! gosh darn it.

and if u guys wanted to laugh,...i booked my flight with round trip shuttle (which i paid for both ways- airport --> hotel, and hotel--> airport)

too bad..the shuttle won't be waiting for anyone cuz i'll be @ NYU already checked out of my hotel..

wow..and i want to be a dentist?

ive had bad experiences with legaurdia, if you need to go that way use JFK
sbiggrin.gif