Help! CUSM vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently debating on whether I should attend EVMS or CUSM. I am a California native, interested in pursuing internal medicine, emergency med, or obstetrics in the future so nothing too competitive. I hope to do my residency in CA or at least the west coast so not sure if attending EVMS will hinder my chances in doing so. I have a list of pros/cons for each school and would appreciate any feedback or even speak with any current students about their experience. Thank you!

CUSM
Pros:
  • Save money on living expenses since I can commute from my family home
  • Close to support system and mentors
  • Really vibed well with the students and faculty during interview day
  • School's mission really aligned with mine
  • P/F pre-clinical grading
  • heard good things about Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
  • Seems like a very diverse student body
Cons:
  • New school: unknown match list
  • Limited research opportunities
  • Many orgs/community outreach opportunities are relatively new and barely starting (could be a pro bc more leadership opportunities?)

EVMS
Pros:
  • Respectable match list
  • Ultrasound curriculum sounds pretty awesome
  • CareForward Curriculum is cool
  • Really like the school's community-oriented mission
  • P/F pre-clinical grading

Cons:
  • pretty far away from family which makes me hesitant especially with my mom's ongoing health problems
  • pretty expensive for OOS, ~60K tuition not including living expenses
  • didn't really vibe and feel very comfortable with my interviewers (both student and faculty)
  • I heard there were limited research opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

Is the money a big obstacle for EVMS ? Are there alternatives for caring for your mom if you leave (sibling, etc.) ?

Reactions: 1 user
Is the money a big obstacle for EVMS ? Are there alternatives for caring for your mom if you leave (sibling, etc.) ?
My main concern is whether spending another $20-$30k a year to attend EVMS is justifiable...although EVMS is a reputable program, it is still a lower ranking school. Unless you think otherwise?
I don’t really have alternatives for my mom since my sibling goes to school a couple hours away and my dad’s English isn’t the best.

I think for personal and price reasons you should pick CUSM. Plus you want to be in California and are not interested in anything too competitive. Work hard and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW I had a friend making this exact same decision as a CA resident last year- and they are very happy at EVMS and with their decision. Obviously you need to consider your pros/cons but not often I see an exact same x vs y as someone I know so thought I’d share 😊

FWIW I had a friend making this exact same decision as a CA resident last year- and they are very happy at EVMS and with their decision. Obviously you need to consider your pros/cons but not often I see an exact same x vs y as someone I know so thought I’d share 😊
Oh wow! What a coincidence! Do you have any insight as to why your friend decided to go with EVMS? Thanks!

Oh wow! What a coincidence! Do you have any insight as to why your friend decided to go with EVMS? Thanks!
I can ask for more details but from what I knew of it was definitely driven by the p/f step 1 shakeup and feeling more confident about being at a more established school. Don’t quote me but I think it ended up being cheaper in the end for them and I did check in recently and they said they were decently happy with location/found that med school kept them too busy to feel like they missed CA haha. I know your situation is a bit different but either way congrats on getting into Med school- either one will treat you well!