Help! Debating if I should apply this cycle or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinio04

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied two years ago and didn't get accepted anywhere.

GPA 3.4
MCAT - retaking May 19. My MCAT score the first time was 492 (why I applied when I did, IDK, but I did)
Personally, I think my medical experiences are at par. (medical scribe, volunteering in hospitals, medical assistant)

Since my last application, I've mainly been working (medical field). I took one graduate level science course but didn't do a complete post bacc. Do I apply this year? I'm also debating on post poning my MCAT. Avg on practice exams is about 502. Any recommendations/suggestions?!

Members don't see this ad.

GPA 3.4
MCAT - retaking May 19. My MCAT score the first time was 492 (why I applied when I did, IDK, but I did)
Personally, I think my medical experiences are at par. (medical scribe, volunteering in hospitals, medical assistant)

Since my last application, I've mainly been working (medical field). I took one graduate level science course but didn't do a complete post bacc. Do I apply this year? I'm also debating on post poning my MCAT. Avg on practice exams is about 502. Any recommendations/suggestions?!
You should have never applied with a 492. If you score > than 500 apply broadly, and consider skipping schools you would be a reapp at. Come back when you have an MCAT score

GPA 3.4

It would surprise me if you even interviewed with those stats, let alone get accepted.

Do not apply this cycle. I think you need to retake the MCAT first and make sure you’re okay with your score this time before you consider reapplying. After you’ve done that, look at boosting your ECs during your year off so you have something more than “par” to show for your gap year(s).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Post your MCAT score here when available in June. Depending on your score you may be able to apply this year. Where is your state of residence?

You should have never applied with a 492. If you score > than 500 apply broadly, and consider skipping schools you would be a reapp at. Come back when you have an MCAT score

I know I shouldn't of. I think I was in a hurry to apply at that time. There's a problem with skipping schools I have applied to...I applied to A LOT of schools. I don't remember the specific amount.

Post your MCAT score here when available in June. Depending on your score you may be able to apply this year. Where is your state of residence?

I'm rescheduling my MCAT for June 1, therefore I won't get my scores until July 3. I don't think I should wait until after that score, it's already a little late to send my application. I live in Michigan.

I'm rescheduling my MCAT for June 1, therefore I won't get my scores until July 3. I don't think I should wait until after that score, it's already a little late to send my application. I live in Michigan.

Do you want to be a 3x reapplicant or do you want to do it right this time?

DO cycle is longer than MD. Wait on the MCAT.