Help deciding on Touro CA advice/review from alum or current student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigmac131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a week to decide whether or not to put in a 2K deposit down for Touro CA, I do have other acceptances (AZCOM) and I recently interviewed at Nova, which I really liked. I was hoping a current student or Alum could give me a review on Touro. Sort of like this one on Nova: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11571845&postcount=945

Curriclum: It seemed they didn't have any Harveys? Does this really matter? And how much hands on practice do you recieve?

Reputation: It's a newer school does it have much of one in the bay area?
Clinical Rotation: Are they set? Lots of moving around 3/4 year?
Housing
Study Areas
Board Prep: Does it have a class for this? Do those classes really matter or is it all on your own

Administration:

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

'harvey' = harvey simulator/mannequin

Members don't see this ad :)
This'll be super brief as we have block exams in a few days, but...

Curriculum (A): systems-based w/ TBL labs. lectures are optional (recorded) and labs are mandatory. fall of M1 is "fundamentals" which previews all the systems, spring of M1 is CVRR (cardio / resp / renal), fall of M2 is MSN (musculoskeletal / neuro) and spring of M2 is GERD (gastro / endocrine / repro / derm). There is fairly good coordination between profs with respect to the material, sometimes accidental overlap. Decent parallel of omm theory alongside the other stuff.

Location (B+): love it or hate it seems to be the thing. do you like cities or rural? haha, this one is neither! it's on an island in san pablo bay that is an historic, decommissioned naval shipyard. seriously. our campus is reconstructed / reclaimed from their old buildings and I think that is pretty sweet. it could always be better, and if you like shiny new buildings there are other campuses out there for you. we have a flock of wild turkeys that roam campus, a public golf course within walking distance, and lots of cheap housing. SF is an hour ferry ride. many students live in surrounding communities as vallejo can feel rough to some people. nice towns like benicia or even berkeley are well within commuting distance. and the weather is amazing pretty much all of the year.

Faculty (A-): mostly great, a few bad, a few outstanding. strong anatomy professor, strong omm chair, really helpful clinical / primary care profs. weak areas seem to be biochem / genetics, both in perception of the faculty and board scores.

Reputation (B-): well, it ain't easy being surrounded by Stanford, UCSF and UCD. we fly under the radar for the most part, especially because we don't really rotate in the main bay area hospitals. this is a tough thing to quantify, but you can look at our match list and see which local programs tend to take our grads.

Rotations (C+): do a search for my post under the School-Specific threads

Housing (A): cheap, plentiful options on the island allow you walk / ride to school. many people live there or in benicia, glen cove, berkeley / richmond / albany. lots of options. SF is ridiculous, you can't afford it.

Study areas (B): the library is small but currently undergoing renovation. some people complain of lack of space, and a lot of people probably study at home.

Board prep (B+): new mandatory monthly sessions reviewing COMBANK from USMLE weapon, which everyone got a free subscription to this year. past few years a handful (5-10) students were failing COMLEX each year but most did fine, and someone got a 260 last year on USMLE Step 1. :eek: there is a lot of integration of board-style questions into the lecture material and on exams, but how that compares to other schools I know not.

Administration (A-): very helpful and approachable. only downside is that some things get routed through the NY school (like financial aid and work study) which can cause problems. good academic support, great advising.

Overall: (B+)

This'll be super brief as we have block exams in a few days, but...

Overall: (B+)

Super, How nice of you!!! Thanks a million for sharing here!

How are exams done 1/2 year? One a week or all at once? Coming from the East Coast did you actually have time to explore any of the surrounding areas your first two years? And for third year are you taught by touro grads?

Each semester is split into three blocks, and there are a series of exams at the end of each block. As far as free time, you have a fall break + winter break + spring break... and the summer between M1 and M2. Everybody's a little different with study habits, but I think most people end up with plenty of time to explore and take day trips, except right before block exams.

During the first two years you have doctoring labs and omm labs each week where you learn physical exam and diagnostic skills... some of the faculty in each department include alumni. And yes, some of those doctors are preceptors for specific rotations at specific sites. But the faculty include physicians from all over, both MD/DO.

I remember them saying most rotations are preceptor sites, does this seem important? Do you miss out on experiencing a wider range of operations you would at a hospital? Could you think of a reason one way out weighs the other?

koan i noticed a mention of drug testing on the letter touro mailed out. do we arrange that pre-matriculation or does it happen randomly throughout m1/m2?

Hello. I am a 3rd year at Touro-CA, here to answer any questions you may have about our school. Feel free to PM with specifics.

I remember them saying most rotations are preceptor sites, does this seem important? Do you miss out on experiencing a wider range of operations you would at a hospital? Could you think of a reason one way out weighs the other?

I would say about half of our rotation sites are at preceptor sites and the other half are at large community hospitals with multiple residency programs. It is a misconception that all of Touro-CA's rotations are with individual preceptors. It all depends on what you want, though. Usually people end up getting placed in the environment they prefer through the lottery. In the preceptor sites you work directly with the physician all the time and so oftentimes you are first assist during surgeries and get a lot of attention since you are one of only a few if not the only student on the service.

On the other hand, with a large hospital on a service there will be multiple attendings, residents, and medical students, so you'll be competing for more 1 on 1 attention from your attending and for experience assisting in the OR or doing procedures. You will work more closely with the interns and senior residents than you will with the attendings themselves. But with the latter environment you get more of an idea of the structure, curriculum, and lifestyle of residents. Depending on the site and/or the patient population there may be different ranges of pathology available for you to experience; large community hospital usually has a greater variety of types of cases.

koan i noticed a mention of drug testing on the letter touro mailed out. do we arrange that pre-matriculation or does it happen randomly throughout m1/m2?

I never was randomly drug tested during years 1 and 2. I think we got tested once but that was with good forewarning.