Help! Do I even have a chance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AorticDysfuncxn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just received my MCAT scores back (which I've retaken more than just several times) and I can't seem to pull up a good cumulative score! =(

I was hoping to get some advice on where I should go from here...I submitted my AMCAS already for 2010 admission and don't know if it's worth filling in secondaries or if I should withdraw (I applied to 43 schools all around the country).

My stats are the following:

Cumulative GPA: 3.4

Science GPA: 3.2

MCAT Scores:
09/2009 V=8 PS=7 B= 9 Cumulative=24N
05/2009 V=7 PS= 6 B=12 Cumulative=25Q
07/2008 V=7 PS=6 B=10 Cumulative=23N
09/2007 V=10 PS=7 B=10 Cumulative=27M
06/2007 V=9 PS=8 B=8 Cumulative=25P

Extracurriculars:
  1. Shadowed a physician for 2 years, gained clinical experience and helped with research (which was submitted for publication but not sure if it was published)
  2. Volunteered at children's hospital and at the ER department of another hospital - provided psychological support to patients and families
  3. Did research for 2 years as an undergrad, made poster presentations, and completed an honor's thesis - graduated with Honors
  4. Currently work 40 hours a week in a laboratory - help determine people's risk for certain diseases
  5. Was part of various student organizations as an undergraduate - served as chair and leader for many of these
  6. Work part time in international healthcare to improve health in third world countries
  7. Organized and executed fundraiser for earthquake victims and impoverished third-world children
  8. Served on EMS and have become re-certified in first response
  9. Choreographed a particular cultural dance - taught others
I'm also taking science classes after work and have received A's on all my exams and assignments thus far. I hope to update schools with my performance in these classes, and I was also hoping to take the GRE and send them that score as well (assuming those scores are stellar compared to my MCAT scores).

So...HELP! What should I do? Do I withdraw my application and apply for SMPs instead (I was thinking of doing this as my backup)? Medicine is my dream and I really want an MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dont waste time on the GRE....

MD is a long shot whenever you apply. I think your best shot is DO. Apply to all of them first and some low stat MD schools and in-state MD schools.

Both your GPA and MCAT are low for MD. Plus, you have taken the MCAT 5 times and your 2nd was the best.

Try DO and be happy if you get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
state schools + DO + maybe SLU, Creighton...

Chances are just about nil for MD, though.

At this point, would an SMP be a good option for me?

Yes, but find one with a strong linkage program.

Look at Tulane, VCU, and EVMS for starters.

Maybe there are even SMPs affiliated with DO schools - that may be your best bet.

Good luck.

PS What did you do to prep for all those MCATs? Did you use Kaplan online? I highly recommend it if you did not.

As crazy as it sounds, if you could get your act together and score a low 30s MCAT, that would go a long way to helping your cause...but I would not just rush out and do that until you have a game plan in place, such as an SMP next year...

You need to find a way to get your MCAT score up. Why did you take it so many times with only 3 or 4 months between attempts? What did you do to study? Did you take practice tests, and if so, what were you scoring on them? That 27 might have been enough to get your foot in the door, but a 24 with a 3.4 GPA seems like a long shot just about anywhere in the US. Not impossible, but close to it if you're primarily gunning for "MD."

If I was you, I'd start working on retaking classes that had grades of C or worse one or two at a time, too. Managing that while studying for the MCAT (and this isn't something that you should be doing leisurely) might be difficult with a full-time job, though. This would also primarily be beneficial for DO schools, too, so you'd have to decide if you'll be happy with that.

SMPs are typically for low GPA but high MCAT scores. I don't know that I'd be willing to take on the heavy debt that usually comes with those if I was in your position. And you'd have to be sure you were ready to destroy it. A subpar showing there would probably be the end of your dream.

I'd take a long look at DO programs. It doesn't lock you into primary care, and your patients typically don't know the difference, if you're concerned about prestige. It's far and away your best chance for being a doctor.

Your stats put you right at the average for many DO programs. It's still not too late to apply this year & gain an acceptance. An SMP is expensive and risky to boot. Also, as mentioned above, it is mainly used to combat a low GPA... now a low GPA and MCAT. I would definitely give the osteopathic route some serious consideration. It's your best shot at being a doctor.

Yeah, I realize I really do need a higher MCAT score...that's why I kept re-taking it. I used Kaplan Online, Kaplan In-Class, and Exam Krackers to study. On practice tests I did decently...at one point I got a 13 Bio, 9 PS, and 11 Verbal. For some reason on test day the results aren't what I get during practice testing. My worst section is definately physical sciences...and when I do badly on that it carries onto my verbal and usually verbal is one of my stronger subjects.

As for my lower GPA...I always participated in a lot of extracurriculars on campus as an undergraduate (at one point I was taking 4 classes, plus working on my thesis and doing about 5 extracurriculars at once). I'm taking classes after work right now (like Pathophysiology)and have been doing pretty well in that (only A's so far) so I think that, plus courses I will take next semester, will help boost my GPA.

For right now, I'm trying to figure out my next steps....either re-take the mcat one more time and make sure I only take it when i know I can get a better than sub-par score while applying to SMP or MPH programs....either that or continue in this application cycle hoping some schools will look at the highest score in each section...(my highest score in PS=8, B=12, V=10, and W=Q).

Yeah...I'm lost =(

You need to find a way to get your MCAT score up. Why did you take it so many times with only 3 or 4 months between attempts? What did you do to study? Did you take practice tests, and if so, what were you scoring on them? That 27 might have been enough to get your foot in the door, but a 24 with a 3.4 GPA seems like a long shot just about anywhere in the US. Not impossible, but close to it if you're primarily gunning for "MD."

If I was you, I'd start working on retaking classes that had grades of C or worse one or two at a time, too. Managing that while studying for the MCAT (and this isn't something that you should be doing leisurely) might be difficult with a full-time job, though. This would also primarily be beneficial for DO schools, too, so you'd have to decide if you'll be happy with that.

SMPs are typically for low GPA but high MCAT scores. I don't know that I'd be willing to take on the heavy debt that usually comes with those if I was in your position. And you'd have to be sure you were ready to destroy it. A subpar showing there would probably be the end of your dream.

I'd take a long look at DO programs. It doesn't lock you into primary care, and your patients typically don't know the difference, if you're concerned about prestige. It's far and away your best chance for being a doctor.

1. Currently work 40 hours a week in a laboratory - help determine people's risk for certain diseases
  2. Work part time in international healthcare to improve health in third world countries
  3. Organized and executed fundraiser for earthquake victims and impoverished third-world children
Use these experiences to talk about working with underserved/ international medical groups, apply to Meharry and Howard. Also try Mich State if you aren't too concerned about oos tuition and also try GWU..