marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I"m very worried that I'm making a wrong choice. I've worked in the medical field for 8 years and I can't think of anything else that I would be happy doing. But, on the other hand I don't know how happy I will be as a physician. I'm just not sure this is what I'm meant to do. I'm not a big fan of blood and guts. But, I love talking to patients and helping people. But, I'm so scared that I am going to get through medical school and be disappointed. My views of medicine are very realistic. I know that it's not all money and glory. I have talked to my husband and he just says that it's not a bad career to end up in for now. I really don't think he understands the trials of medical school and the sacrifices that I will be making. Any suggestions for me?

Dr Sum Day

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2002
None of your business
Visit site
Status
Non-Student
How about physical and rehabilitative medicine where you will help individuals with musculoskeletal and neurological disorders return to optimal health? I don't believe they get the guts, etc?

It's cool your spouse is supportive; I didn't have that til recently!

Only you will know if you want to be a doctor, no one else can tell you.

Last edited:

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
You should only go into medical school if you have the passion and self motivation to become a physician. If you have doubts, and don't think you will be happy you should either look for another career choice, or look into specialties that fit your personality.
You should only become a physician when you reflect on yourself, and know that medicine/surgery is the only thing you want to do in your life. If you can wake up every morning, and be satisfied with your career choice as a physician, then do it. Other wise, get out.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
Da South
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How about Psychiatry? If you love talking to and helping people that is a perfect field. No blood or guts. I know how you feel, I am a chiropractor with a successful practice. I am giving it all up because I think I have a passion to go into emergency medicine. I am nervous about what I am about to do, but I know it is right. You will know if it feels right. Good Luck

BMW-

marie337 said:
I"m very worried that I'm making a wrong choice. I've worked in the medical field for 8 years and I can't think of anything else that I would be happy doing. But, on the other hand I don't know how happy I will be as a physician. I'm just not sure this is what I'm meant to do. I'm not a big fan of blood and guts. But, I love talking to patients and helping people. But, I'm so scared that I am going to get through medical school and be disappointed. My views of medicine are very realistic. I know that it's not all money and glory. I have talked to my husband and he just says that it's not a bad career to end up in for now. I really don't think he understands the trials of medical school and the sacrifices that I will be making. Any suggestions for me?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
marie337 said:
Positions with minimal blood & guts:

1. Psychiatry
2. Radiology
3. Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine/Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
4. Family Medicine
5. Sports Medicine
6. Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
7. Pain Management/Anesthesiology
8. Medicine Research

or take this test http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
marie337 said:
Here is an idea, with all due respect

Attend a medical school for a semester before you start to worry about any of this. Or just get out now and do something else. This is the kind of thing I am used to hearing from people in their 2nd year, and invariably those people work the hardest to find something that they would enjoy. Considering you haven't even started yet, you really should just be in the throes of elation and ready to emark upon a true adventure in a truly noble calling. The doubt and fear and depression and anger all comes later.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
OSUdoc08 said:
Positions with minimal blood & guts:
4. Family Medicine
or take this test http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/
Dont kid yourself. To make any kind of $$ in Family practice, you better be doing wound care, scopes, circumcisions, any procedure you can get your hand on. It isnt just surgery that involves orifices and sores and colons.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
Idiopathic said:
Dont kid yourself. To make any kind of $$ in Family practice, you better be doing wound care, scopes, circumcisions, any procedure you can get your hand on. It isnt just surgery that involves orifices and sores and colons.
Yes, but it's the lesser of two evils.

OP
marie337

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I fully intend to choose a specialty with a minimal gross factor. And, I know that it's possible to "get used" to the blood and guts. I have been thinking a lot about psychiatry, but keep thinking that if I want to get into counseling, then maybe I should be a psychologist. I think the problem is that I'm 26 and my husband is constantly bringing up the family issue. I just don't know if I can balance everything the way I want to.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
marie337 said:
I fully intend to choose a specialty with a minimal gross factor. And, I know that it's possible to "get used" to the blood and guts. I have been thinking a lot about psychiatry, but keep thinking that if I want to get into counseling, then maybe I should be a psychologist. I think the problem is that I'm 26 and my husband is constantly bringing up the family issue. I just don't know if I can balance everything the way I want to.
Psychiatrists get more money and autonomy than psychologists. They also get more business.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Be proud, and excited about a career in medicine, and all the barriers that seem to hold you back will fall. If you can persevere, and stay goal oriented, than you can make it. It is harder having a family along for the ride, and there are sacrafices that may or may not want to make. Diagnostic Sonography is a two year program, and after you graduate, you can make around $26.00/hour. Reflect on yourself, and you will find the answer to your calling. There are three year PharmD programs, and you can make around $90-100K per year.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
The most laid-back guy in the entire hospital is the attending PharmD.

OP
marie337

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think my problem is that I'm a perfectionist, and not the good kind of perfectionist. Every time that I come close to starting something new that I may not be "the best" at, I consider jumping ship. So, that is probably what I am doing now. I'm sure it is just an anxious phase. I have been seriously considering psychiatry. The only problem is that if I go into psychiatry I want to have a lot of counseling time and not just med reviews. That is why I was questioning psychology vs psychiatry. We'll see. I think it will be very hard for me to pick a field.

medicine1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
Status
Psychiatrists usually are not trained to do much for counceling. Psychologist specialize in 'holistic' treatments. Psychiatrists usually diagnose, write prescriptions, and then refer them to someone else for counceling/rehabilitation, etc.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like you should consider PA school. No insurance woes, you can work 9-5 and make comparable money to a FP doc (especially when you take out the insurance cost), help people, have time to spend with patients, and have time for a family.

Gosh, I almost have myself convinced there! Too bad I am halfway to a D.O. ! Actually, I am happy with my decision because I really am someone that needs to be driving the bus, as it were. But if you don't have problems with authority like I do ( ;) ), PA sounds perfect for you.

OP
marie337

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unfortunately, I also need to be the one in control. I thought about PA school originally but I need to be at the top. I think my wave of uncertainty has passed. I just needed to take a step back and remember why I chose this path. I just wish that I didn't have to wait another 5 months to start. This is way too much time for me to think about what lies ahead.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
marie337 said:
Unfortunately, I also need to be the one in control. I thought about PA school originally but I need to be at the top. I think my wave of uncertainty has passed. I just needed to take a step back and remember why I chose this path. I just wish that I didn't have to wait another 5 months to start. This is way too much time for me to think about what lies ahead.
We all get the jitters--if you didn't doubt along the way you'd be abnormal.

The thing that has surprised me the most is how every doctor seems to have created their own unique little niche. You really can be creative and make just the kind of practice you want. You can work part time, do a cash-only practice, do home-visits, or have a traditional group or solo practice. You can do shift work in the ER or as a hospitalist. You can go into education or administration or clinical research.

You'll find your niche and be able to have a family as well as a good career. Just look at all the women doctors who have done the same.

Best of luck!

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
marie337 said:
You've made some smart moves here. You:
1) Asked yourself some really big questions
2) Asked others for advice
3) Weighed out their advice
4) Arrived at a conclusion that satisfies you

Good job! :)

Keep in mind though, I think you've overestimated your level of "commitment" to this career path. Being an incoming student is not nearly as committed as being a PGY-1 with $200k+ in debt with no way to pay it off but to continue practicing medicine even though you know it's not for you... A hypothetical situ, but you see my point?

Baby steps. By the end of your first semester, you should have a good handle on what you do/don't want for your life. I can pretty much guarantee that you will surprise yourself immensely!!!

:luck:

NS

OP
marie337

marie337

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NotShorty said:
Keep in mind though, I think you've overestimated your level of "commitment" to this career path. Being an incoming student is not nearly as committed as being a PGY-1 with $200k+ in debt with no way to pay it off but to continue practicing medicine even though you know it's not for you... A hypothetical situ, but you see my point?
NS
I totally agree and that is why I have been trying to think hard about this now. I am 26, though, and I am not getting any younger. My husband is really wanting to have children in the next couple of years. So, I feel like I should really put some thought into this. I would rather make the right decision the first time. I do appreciate all the advice that people have given me.