HELP! Dropping out of graduate school to apply for post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsdreamcatcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will your program allow you to simply get a master's degree and leave? If so, I would say that looks much better than actually dropping out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they do. After the second year, which would be right before the start of medical school if I did get an acceptance. I guess I'm just frustrated as the MA won't really benefit me for medical school...I could spend the time I'd spend on year 2 in a post bacc. It just may look horrible on a resume to just drop out of a graduate program...?

Yes, they do. After the second year, which would be right before the start of medical school if I did get an acceptance. I guess I'm just frustrated as the MA won't really benefit me for medical school...I could spend the time I'd spend on year 2 in a post bacc. It just may look horrible on a resume to just drop out of a graduate program...?

I'm not an adcom, but my opinion is that it shouldn't as long as you can explain your reasoning convincingly. If the rest of your app is solid, this shouldn't be a reason for not getting an interview.

That is what I'm hoping for. Doesn't it make sense to say that after I realized I won't stay in that field, I decided to prepare for medical school? Not only to be more competitive by doing well in a post bacc, but also by putting all time and effort into this one goal

...but then again...if you grew up like me: you finish what you started

I started a Phd program (liberal arts) this Fall because I just had to see if I will be happy with it. I have completed all my pre-req course work and have volunteering, shadowing and everything except for MCAT to apply to medical school. I also have a family, so that's why I followed many people's advice and tried to see if there's anything else that could make me happy besides medicine.

SO now...here I am, in my first semester of graduate school and I'm super unhappy. I love the material we work on, is IS interesting. But I just don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life.
Before I respond, I have a preliminary question: at this time, have you decided 100% that a career in medicine is your true career/calling (and nothing else), based on your interests, experiences, activities, volunteering, shadowing, family issues, etc?

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't already have the experience and activities to back it up...it'll look like you thought about medicine on a whim and dropped out of your program...it'll make you look like a quitter.

Before I respond, I have a preliminary question: at this time, have you decided 100% that a career in medicine is your true career/calling (and nothing else), based on your interests, experiences, activities, volunteering, shadowing, family issues, etc?
Yes, I am 100% certain!

If you don't already have the experience and activities to back it up...it'll look like you thought about medicine on a whim and dropped out of your program...it'll make you look like a quitter.
Agreed. It would, but I already have over 100 hours of volunteering, shadowing and ECs. It is not THAT much, but I think it is enough to make a case. I have explored the field to make a decision

Will your program allow you to simply get a master's degree and leave? If so, I would say that looks much better than actually dropping out.

I agree, and I've seen adcoms on this site caution against quitting a graduate program part-way through, as it can make you look flighty.

Why do you want the post-bac? Do you need to raise your ugrad GPA?

I think I should be okay GPA wise (3.7 science and overall) I just thought it's show more commitment and preparation as I'm a non-trad

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I should be okay GPA wise (3.7 science and overall) I just thought it's show more commitment and preparation as I'm a non-trad

My suggestion, based on comments I've seen from adcoms, would be to show that you finish what you started and that you're not running away from your current program but towards medicine. I'd say to finish your program (through the masters level) while showing your commitment to medicine by shadowing and volunteering.

I have taken my last pre-requisite only a few months ago. I think that is an excellent idea. @peridotthecat !:) And so simple lol I wonder why I couldn't think of that.....I guess a crowded mind won't let you see the most simple things at times

My 2c is get your masters but while you're doing that study and prep for the mcat so you can make a smooth transition out. EG start prepping for a springish MCAT test, kill it and apply during your 2nd year.

Based on your comments, it sounded as if you're planning to take the MCAT in the spring of 2017. Plus, you're in the very first semester of a PhD program in liberal arts - so you're not likely to earn a PhD degree in that discipline until at least 4 or more years later - and you're not close to earning a master's degree in the same program. So, I don't see any compelling reason to stay in the liberal arts program to earn any degree - especially since you don't want to be in the program at all. You're just taking up valuable space at this time and some other aspiring liberal arts scholar might want that space.

By now, you should be able to articulate a litany of decisive reasons *why* you want to totally withdraw from the PhD liberal arts program and pursue a medical degree. You should be determined/passionate about becoming a physician "for the rest of your life," and not because you "think" medicine might be a fun career. It must be the career for you. As many SDNers have already stated in this forum: the study of medicine will demand countless hours of mind-numbing work; and it will occupy your time and mind for 4 demanding years, followed by a multi-year residency.

By the way, some schools have policies and protocol in place in connection with applying to medical school (i.e., when you're already enrolled in a separate graduate program). So, you should go on a fact-finding mission and confer with a school advisor/counselor about your program's policies and school protocol, as well as anything else related to your decision to withdraw from the PhD program before you begin to apply to medical school.

If there are no other obstacles or issues to consider, you can withdraw from the liberal arts PhD program and continue to accumulate ECs related to additional clinical/volunteering activities as evidence of your 100% decision/dedication to become a physician (many applicants have completed >100 hours by the time they apply to medical school). Depending on the school, you will also need to obtain a Committee Letter or LORs from professors who know you well, and that might require extra time. You can also use the extra time to prepare for the MCAT and score well on the MCAT.

Thank you.

Keep in mind that post-bacc programs can get very expensive very quickly.

Hello, everyone! I hope I won't be ripped to pieces for my question. I started a Phd program (liberal arts) this Fall because I just had to see if I will be happy with it. I have completed all my pre-req course work and have volunteering, shadowing and everything except for MCAT to apply to medical school. I also have a family, so that's why I followed many people's advice and tried to see if there's anything else that could make me happy besides medicine.

SO now...here I am, in my first semester of graduate school and I'm super unhappy. I love the material we work on, is IS interesting. But I just don't see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I just don't belong here. I know I will have to drop out, but my question is: would it be smarter to drop out after the first year, do a post bacc as prep, and face some uncomfortable question when I apply to med programs? Or should I complete the two years, get a masters (which won't benefit me in any way) and then apply?

I know, I made a bad decision but I guess I had to do it to KNOW that I don't want it.

Thank you all for your advice in advance!!
Greetings...
Your story really resonates with me so I thought I'd post.

I too was in a PhD program and I realized research wasn't for me. I stuck it out one school year and then dropped out. I've already received one interview this round despite dropping out of the PhD track just last spring. In fact, I made my "dropout" the centerpiece of my personal statement and emphasized my decision to pursue medicine. Specifically, why I'm sure that medicine is my true passion based on my experiences. I say give it a shot. If you have strong ECs, GPA, and MCAT, I think it's worth a go. But you need to address it in your PS in my opinion. And to be honest, the "why did you drop out" question shouldn't be that uncomfortable- you went for it and it didn't work out. Nothing to be ashamed of! I think it can be a strength if you can articulate why a career in medicine will be different. And if you can't- then maybe press pause on applying and spend some time finding an answer to that question.

I should note I am defending a master's thesis next month. I was able to write about my undergraduate research and gather enough grad credits from my undergrad/PhD to graduate. I don't think its a MUST that you stay where you are and finish, but you should move forward in some fashion (post-bac, get a job in a medically related field, etc...). Go heavy on the medically related ECs during this next year so they see that you're committed to a future in medicine.

I'm no expert, but I was in your shoes. And I have at least one interview (of 11 schools I applied to) this round. Good luck to you!

I have to say this OP - you need to be careful and read the exact verbiage of your commitment to the PHD program you are in.

I know it sounds wierd, but schools can blacklist you if you jump from another school. You have to do it the right way or you may even get an acceptance to med school rescinded after the fact. It is just how it is so you need to talk to your PhD program directors/mentors/whathaveyou about your plans.

These sort of rules came out to protect "poaching" of students.

I have to say this OP - you need to be careful and read the exact verbiage of your commitment to the PHD program you are in.

I know it sounds wierd, but schools can blacklist you if you jump from another school. You have to do it the right way or you may even get an acceptance to med school rescinded after the fact. It is just how it is so you need to talk to your PhD program directors/mentors/whathaveyou about your plans.

These sort of rules came out to protect "poaching" of students.

Poaching generally refers to graduate programs in the same field, not from a liberal arts PhD to medical school. The OPs interests and life goals have changed he won't get blacklisted for it.

Not guaranteed. Hence, OP needs to follow through with his current program.

We had a lady who was bright, and doing well in a masters program. She did the same thing that OP wanted and interviewed and was eventually accepted. Once they knew she was still in school they rescinded the offer. It was sad but what can you do.

I would just go through with talking to your program because it is not worth burning up an opportunity for something so easy to do.

Poaching generally refers to graduate programs in the same field, not from a liberal arts PhD to medical school. The OPs interests and life goals have changed he won't get blacklisted for it.

Not guaranteed. Hence, OP needs to follow through with his current program.

We had a lady who was bright, and doing well in a masters program. She did the same thing that OP wanted and interviewed and was eventually accepted. Once they knew she was still in school they rescinded the offer. It was sad but what can you do.

I would just go through with talking to your program because it is not worth burning up an opportunity for something so easy to do.

Keyword still in school. If OP leaves the program before he'll be fine. I suspect the bright girl wasn't completely honest with her medical school about her situation. Regardless, you're right about talking to his current program. Better safe than sorry.

Thank you everyone for your input! @Doctor-S I fully agree that it would make sense to completely withdraw and focus on ECs etc for medical school. That would be optimal. However, I did some research and it seems as if many schools don't like drop-outs, unless there was a compelling reason. I don't really have a compelling reason... It looks like it'll hurt me more to drop out than staying in and making the best of it. I'm already studying for the Spring MCAT, so I will submit my app in June next year and should have my masters by the time medical school WOULD start. I'm convinced now more than ever that this is what I want. I just needed to be in this program to be able to say that I tried it out and it wasn't for me.

I think I have to be an adult and stick it out. Thank you everyone, it was really great to read everyone's take on this. Now I know what to do :) You gotta love SDN!