Help! EM rotation schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation:

The PD of my EM prog has offered to fill out a SLOR for me now based on research and ER Club contact I've had with him. BUT I won't be rotating in EM till November. My other SLOR's will be
1) ER doc from 2 week rotation (not affiliated with ER program)
2) ER doc from 2 week shadowing in summer before 3rd year (not affiliated with ER program)

other possibe good LOR's I may get:
1)Surgery faculty
2) IM faculty
3) ICU doc (with good rep)

So here's the Q: If I get a letter from my PD without having done a rotation there yet will it be worthless? (therefore, should I switch my EM rotation to July (pre-ERAS))

Due to the scheduling of my 3rd year rotations, Nov may be the only time I can get the EM rotation. I have thought as a solution to do some type of part time rotation or "shadow" without credit in June so that the PD could get some feedback on my clinical skills from faculty in the department. Would this work? or Do residency programs want to see my EM grade before they grant interviews???

I know this is convoluted. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO... If you can switch the rotation to pre-ERAS, you should. Period. [reasons for this discussed extensively in other threads] :D

Personally, I would switch your ED rotation to July or Aug if possible. Plus, if you do the rotation, you can potentially get letters from other ED attending as well. Otherwise, I have seen students audition for their letter writers over a few voluntary shifts in the ED. If he asked to write a SLOR for you, then he'll probably do a great job, even if he fills in the blanks with his own good perceptions. I've seen where some attendings wrote glowing SLORs for students simply bc they really liked them and wanted them to succeed in the match, despite comparable aptitude of other students. I wouldn't recommend this for away rotators, but if your attending knows you through emed club affiliation and research, he probably knows enough about you to do you justice without a full month in the ED. But if you're at all worried, ask him if it would help him complete the SLOR if you worked in the ED with him a night or two. I don't know how well the shadowing LOR will help, but definitely get the surgery letter, IM and ICU. It doesn't hurt to ask. And, you can always chose later which ones you want to submit. Best of luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just my two cents,
I agree with the concensus to do your EM rotation pre-ERAS if at all possible. This is just one person's experience but I had numerous PDs comment on my EM letters, especially situations that were written about my work in the ED. Not one word about any other letter - no matter how grea they were from other departments! I think the EM letters mean everything in the interview process and try if at all possible to get a "superstar" one about your work in the department, if your PD does not have the ammunition to write about this now, try to squeeze in some shifts to get this done!

Nof55

I switched my ER rotation from Nov to July so now I'll be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for the info!!!!

* A resident told me if I do the July I should also do a 2 week rotation in Dec or Jan so they remember my face. I don't know if this would be useful at other programs but at mine they said it was a must.

Originally posted by johnson
I switched my ER rotation from Nov to July so now I'll be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for the info!!!!

* A resident told me if I do the July I should also do a 2 week rotation in Dec or Jan so they remember my face. I don't know if this would be useful at other programs but at mine they said it was a must.

Congrats on your switch. It was the best choice.

As for a 2 week rotation in Dec or Jan, I think is ridiculous. If your school wants you, they will remember you, especially if you've done research with the PD. Also, you should have an ED attending as your advisor, so I can't see how 2 more weeks in Dec or Jan will make a difference. You should check with some of the students from your school that applied this year for further advice on that situation.