HELP! Erroneous letters of rec sent to programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwiyum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went on my 3rd EM interview last week and I found out that 2 of my letter writers (IM attendings) wrote that I would be good for IM in part of their letter and later wrote that I would make a great EM doctor. I think one of the letters even said "recommending for internal medicine residency". I was definitely questioned about my sincerity in applying for EM during that interview. The problem is that I originally dual applied but decided on EM early on in the process. I got the letters fixed to say EM (I hope) and reuploaded to the same slots in ERAS last week after I found out.

My question now is, will programs that I have NOT interviewed at yet know about my 2 erroneous letters? Will the new ones replace them and will they just never know about the old one? I hope I don't have to continue addressing this mixup in the interview season. Also, what should I do about the 3 places I already interviewed at? The first two didn't even mention it!

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

If the programs have already printed out your LOR's, then they will have copies of both the old and updated letters. Otherwise, they'll only have the new ones. There's no way for you to know.

Do programs print out letters of rec well in advance? Say, that I don't have an interview for a few weeks...would they have my entire app printed out?

Each program will have their own protocols. Some will print at the time of invite. Some will print when you actually interview. Some may not print at all and do everything electronically. It shouldn't matter in the vast majority of cases. And you have no control over it, nor is there any way to find out.