Help/feedback on school list? Nontrad, FL resident, 519, 3.75

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hijaan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.75, sGPA 3.92. I’m a nontrad applicant, so my undergrad cGPA was 3.7 and sGPA 3.85 (only 11 BPCM credits). The rest of my BPCM credits were done DIY postbacc (county college + state college), postbacc sGPA 3.93.
  2. 519 (130/131/129/129)
  3. FL
  4. ORM
  5. WashU
  6. 1800 hrs scribing for hospitalists, 4100 hrs as clinical research coordinator (collect med. history, do phlebotomy, f/u with our participants), 170 hrs volunteer at free student-run clinic (collect med history and vitals).
  7. 4100 hrs doing clinical epidemiology research (no pubs but it’s a CDC grant and we’ve gotten a test FDA approved, currently in process of rolling out clinical trial for a new regimen). 1500 hrs geology research assistant in undergrad (no pubs). 450 hrs biopharmaceutical intern, did assays on antibodies. 200 hrs doing independent public health/medical anthropology research in low resource setting in Brazil, turned research into senior honors thesis.
  8. Infectious disease 13 hrs, pediatrics 4 hrs, pulmonologist 4 hrs, family med phys. assistant 128 hrs. Am planning to get in 80 more hours from now til May 2019.
  9. 120 hrs ESL teacher for refugees, 60 hrs with tennis program for underserved youth, 80 hrs with immigrant rights action group
  10. Fulbright Eng TA in Brazil (10 months), summer intern at nonprofit teen center (500 hrs), leader in various undergrad orgs (my major’s honors society, student concert venue, portuguese language group), also was radio DJ for 2 yrs
  11. Fulbright above, magna cum laude (based on GPA + thesis), deans list for 4 semesters
  12. In my senior year of college, I realized that I wanted to do something clinical. Prior to that, I was thinking just public health. I was pre-PA for a few years (hence the scribing and shadowing the fam med PA), but decided on med school 2 years ago when I started as a clinical research coordinator, with the convincing/support of my PI. I graduated college in 2013, so any feedback on schools that’re friendly to non-trads is greatly appreciated! My goal is to work w primary care or mental health for immigrants and refugees in underserved areas. I dont speak Spanish (yet), but I speak Portuguese proficiently and have every intention to learn Spanish ASAP. I’m also going to pursue an MPH at some point (not sure if it’ll be during med school, residency, or fellowship if I do one), so med schools with strong public health programs are a huge plus. I’d also love to save on tuition, hence the TX schools (and the lack of bay area and NYC schools).
TL;DR schools that’re non-trad friendly, work with immigrants/refugees in underserved areas, primary care/mental health, strong public health programs, but above all: low tuition with good program.

Current school list:
All FL schools except NSU
WashU
Harvard
Penn
UMich
Emory
UCLA
UNC-Chapel Hill
UTSW
Keck
OHSU
KU (parents live in KC)
Wake forest
Tulane
UTSA
UTMB
Dell med school
UT Houston
Maybe Texas A&M?

Thank you so much!

@Goro @gyngyn @Faha @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from your list .The Texas schools and UNC accept few non residents but you could receive interviews at some of those schools with your high MCAT.

List looks very reasonable. Delete OHSU unless you're from Oregon and replace with any top 20 that interests you. You're Harvard material.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive several interviews from your list .The Texas schools and UNC accept few non residents but you could receive interviews at some of those schools with your high MCAT.

Thank you so much for your input! That's very reassuring to hear. I'll use that energy to work on getting my secondaries out ASAP.

List looks very reasonable. Delete OHSU unless you're from Oregon and replace with any top 20 that interests you. You're Harvard material.

Wow, I never thought that I would be called Harvard material. Huge thanks! I originally didn't have OHSU on my list, but I was reviewing their Mission-Based groups and thought I might have a chance based on GPA/MCAT and my public health experience/desire to pursue an MD/MPH. I'm not sure if that's realistic though... I'll try to scour their forums to find out which OOS applicants got interviews. Thanks so much for your input!

@Goro, @LizzyM, and @gyngyn can chime in here - but your GPA's excellent, your MCAT stellar, and your ECs absolutely superb - as good as if not better than most top-20 matriculants.

@Goro, @LizzyM, and @gyngyn can chime in here - but your GPA's excellent, your MCAT stellar, and your ECs absolutely superb - as good as if not better than most top-20 matriculants.
Wow, I'm seriously beyond flattered. Thank you so much!

Not sure about the TX schools but otherwise the list looks fine.
Thank you so much for your input, despite this not being your cup of tea!! Sorry for the bother!