Help Finding Info On Neuropsychometric Test Batteries Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waffle23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I a rising undergrad sophomore and I am going to be doing clinical research this summer and my goal is to design a repeatable neuropsychometric cognitive research battery of tests for stroke patients. My mentor has given me primary literature to read and I am starting to get a grasp on what my goals are.

Can anyone recommend any good books on neuropsychometric testing that I might be able to find in a local library? Currently I am reading "Principles of Behavioral and Cognitive Neurology 2nd. Edition" by M.-Marsel Mesulam. I am on a great chapter that gives an overview of neuropsychometric testing, batteries, tests for specific cognitive domains, etc. What other good literature is out there that is specifically about neuropsychometric testing of cognitive domains?

Specific goals that I have are gathering basic information on each test, the amount of time needed (the battery must not exhaust the patient), the skill level of the examiner needed, etc.

Also, are there any good websites that I can use to search for information on neuropsychometric tests? I basically want to organize my own mini-database of neuropsychometric tests and info attached to them, and then go from there as far as designing one. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is much more a matter for neuropsychologists than neurologists actually. I am not sure why your mentor would put you in charge of such a task. Test selection requires a complex understanding of neuroscience, neuroanatomy, statistics, psychometrics, and the condition being studied. I am not sure where you would have gotten this experience. Building a battery without proper training is both dangerous to patients and a violation of the APA ethics. And where exactly would you get the resources (financial and time) to norm this? Designing a comprehensive battery is not a "one man band."

There are already well established "fixed" batteries for the assessment of neurologic impairment (ie., Halstead-Retain, Luria- Nebraska, NAB, etc). However, having a fixed battery for stoke makes little sense from a behavioral neurology perspective because the cognitive sequelae of the condition is so heterogeneous. Additionally, the location, duration, and the type of stoke (occlusive vs hemorrhage) play a large factor in the severity and types of symptom presentation. Accordingly, the majority of neuropsychologists in practice utilize a flexible approach to assessment, rather than using fixed batteries. Since the degree of cognitive impairment is variable, one one would need a flexible battery that is adjustable to referral questions and the capabilities of patients. (i.e., stoke patients may have severe limitations in motor skills or expressive language that prohibit use of certain tests). Assessment of stroke patients should be well rounded (i.e.,assessing all domains), but also heavy in subcortical functions and attentional tasks. Anomia and psychomotor slowing are also likely with subcortical dysfunction.

All neuropsych instruments are copyrighted and not in the public domain for obvious reasons. If you would like to learn more about the field of neuropsychology and neuropsychologial assessment, I would recommend Lezak (2005). I would recommend skimming over division 40 guidelines (http://www.div40.org/) and the Houston Conference guidelines in order to see the formal training requirements needed for the practice of neuropsychology and to competently conduct this kind of research.

Last edited:
Please see my reply in the psychology Ph.D. forum.