Help for a spanish doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avicena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a spanish doctor who is doing a family medicine residency in Spain (4 years here in spain). Whwn I finish, I want to go to work to the USA so, have started studying to get the USMLE, but my question is: What else do I need to work there? It is neccesary to do another residency in the USA or can I convalidate mine?

Thank you, and I am sorry about my english.
If anybody wants to talk about experiencies about family medicine in diferent countries, this is my e-mail: [email protected] and my name is Jorge

Members don't see this ad.

avicena said:
Hi! I am a spanish doctor who is doing a family medicine residency in Spain (4 years here in spain). Whwn I finish, I want to go to work to the USA so, have started studying to get the USMLE, but my question is: What else do I need to work there? It is neccesary to do another residency in the USA or can I convalidate mine?

You can certainly work in the US without board certification, although your job opportunities will likely be more limited. You will, of course, need to be licensed in the state you'll be working in. I suggest you contact the medical board(s) in those states for more information about their requirements.

As far as board certification goes, try contacting the American Board of Family Medicine ( https://www.theabfm.org ) to see if your international residency will qualify you to sit for the boards.

I'm almost 100% sure that you will need to do a residency in the US to get a license to practice medicine in the US.

You will need an ECFMG certificate to practice and that requires that you do residency.

Board Certification is up to you.

If you really want to come here, I suggest you take USMLE I and II and apply for a residency here. That way you won't have to do you residency in spain and then one here. Unless you want to be able to practice in spain as well and they don't accept your residency in the US.

Good luck.

Thank you, and I am sorry about my english.
If anybody wants to talk about experiencies about family medicine in diferent countries, this is my e-mail: [email protected] and my name is Jorge

I know the preference (and sometimes the requirement) is that a foreign educated doc needs to have completed a US residency to be considered a good candidate.

Suerte!