Help! Getting Fellowship Approved for Post-9/11 GIB Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1013765

Another frustrated active duty physician here plotting my escape...

I'm separating next summer and will be headed to a non-ACGME accredited fellowship in AUG 2022. I'm trying to use my GIB benefits during fellowship primarily for Military Housing Allowance (MHA); however, while recently trying to get my fellowship "approved", the state certifying official declined the request because he said the fellowship isn't specifically accredited by the ACGME, rather it's accredited by the Orthopaedic Trauma Association as most trauma fellowship are.

Apparently, there aren't any specific provisions for fellowships in the VA GIB benefits instructions, but Internships/Residencies are the closest thing, and under that category the instruction specifically states a program must be accredited by the ACGME in order to qualify. So with that being said...

1. Has anyone been able to work around this technicality and had a non-ACGME fellowship approved after classifying it as something else? If so, they said I could claim precedent and that may work...and they already said On the Job Training/Apprenticeship don't work for fellowship...
2. If not, what other options do I have to qualify for and use the MHA benefits during fellowship to help offset living expenses?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Quick google search led me to this thread right here on SDN.

Remember that the post-9/11 GI bill almost always will pay out more money if passed on to the kids for education. I'm guessing you aren't at 10 year mark and didn't elect to transfer benefits at active duty year 6?

Quick google search led me to this thread right here on SDN.

Remember that the post-9/11 GI bill almost always will pay out more money if passed on to the kids for education. I'm guessing you aren't at 10 year mark and didn't elect to transfer benefits at active duty year 6?
Thanks, I'm well aware of that fact. But because the Navy sucks I didn't find out about transferring my GIBs until 6 months too late...and since I knew that I was going to fellowship as soon as my commitment was up, I couldn't extend the extra 6 months that I would need to fulfill the 4 years required to transfer these benefits to my kids. Just another cog in the wheel getting screwed by the military. #GetMeOut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I'm well aware of that fact. But because the Navy sucks I didn't find out about transferring my GIBs until 6 months too late...and since I knew that I was going to fellowship as soon as my commitment was up, I couldn't extend the extra 6 months that I would need to fulfill the 4 years required to transfer these benefits to my kids. Just another cog in the wheel getting screwed by the military. #GetMeOut.
Does the Navy need to be better about education on their benefits? Yes
Is it the Navy's fault that YOU didn't take it upon yourself to figure it out? No

Many SDN threads, countless google searches and even my website would have given you the information.

"getting screwed" by a big system is a good lesson that you can take with you anywhere because there are just as many instances of things like this in large academic centers or other government run organizations.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't extend the extra 6 months that I would need to fulfill the 4 years required to transfer these benefits to my kids. Just another cog in the wheel getting screwed by the military. #GetMeOut.

I'd consider extending! Your trauma fellowship can wait! Transferring that GI Bill to your kids might save you 6 figures!?

How could you not know about this? I transferred my post-9/11 to my kids some 11 years ago when I was a half-conscious medical student. It's not the Navy's job to spoon feed you everything. Do you know about TSP? It's fantastic

Is it the Navy's fault that YOU didn't take it upon yourself to figure it out? No

Many SDN threads, countless google searches and even my website would have given you the information.

"getting screwed" by a big system is a good lesson that you can take with you anywhere because there are just as many instances of things like this in large academic centers or other government run organizations.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Spoken like a true company man. Thanks for the completely obvious, but unhelpful advice.

I'd consider extending! Your trauma fellowship can wait! Transferring that GI Bill to your kids might save you 6 figures!?

How could you not know about this? I transferred my post-9/11 to my kids some 11 years ago when I was a half-conscious medical student. It's not the Navy's job to spoon feed you everything. Do you know about TSP? It's fantastic

No way--I would rather do my own vasectomy than serve one more day in uniform. Thanks for stating the obvious and not being helpful at all. Regards.