Help Guide a Lost Soul

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMAOwais

longshot wannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior microbiology major by year(not by credit hours) now in a public state university. I chose to study science since I did well in that subject in high school. Also I did pretty well in high school, and I wouldn't consider myself below average intelligence-wise. I had no real idea what I wanted out of college or afterward. As such I worked with little motivation, while simultaneously struggling with depression/anxiety and added stress from family/finances. Not looking for pity just painting a picture. Given all that I have an embarrassingly low gpa, few volunteer hours or strong extracurriculars, no rapport with professors, and a predominantly ****ty transcript at my current university.

As luck would have it, I had an epiphany of sorts; after messing everything up, I decided I might like to become a physician, great timing right?

Anyway, I know I figure I have no chance at an american/maybe even carribean/foreign medical school with my current transcript and an extravagant upward trend from here on out. So I figured some options:

a) reapply(NOT transfer) to another school, basically start all over [Is this possible, and will it allow me to maybe even try for an american medschool?]
b) stick with trying to salvage my current degree and do postbacc or masters and then apply to carribeans or elswhere.
c) realize medicine isn't for me, move on and fail my life's only real ambition
d) anything you guys come up with

Sorry for the long read, any help, info, [brutally] honest feedback is appreciated. Good luck with all your stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want accurate feedback, you're going to have to be more specific in your description of where you stand. At least specify the GPA and break it down between BCMP and overall, and let us know what EC's you do already have.

I can start off by telling you that ALL grades count when applying to allopathic med schools, but DO schools use the most recent grade for repeat classes. GPA's from Masters degrees aren't calculated into the undergrad GPA, but post-bacc classes are.

Becoming a physician is not the only route into medicine. I don't know where you stand now, but it does not hurt to explore the other possibilities, as well.

Both bcpm and overall are under 2.5. My extracurriculars are mostly Judo and a religious student organization which is active in the community. I'm retaking an EMT-B course to get certified which I had not done previously.

I know I can succeed in all the courses I've failed in, I was lacking the health/motivation. I am currently taking medications/counseling and trying to find my way back.

About all courses counting, with regards to applying as an incoming freshman to a new school and not transferring credits... does that mean i cannot use it as clean slate albeit one requiring more time?

I know my situation is less than optimal, to say the least, but if there's a possibility even with a few extra years here and there, I would want to pursue it. Its not a decision I've jumped into lightly or without any consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump for some more responses, any advice is greatly appreciated.

It doesn't matter if you transfer to a new school or not. When you apply to med school, you must submit transcripts from every post-high school institution you've attended. A compostite GPA will be figured for you.

What you need to redeem yourself so there's a possibility of a US med school admission is to get a string of straight As. Assuming you have 60 hours and a GPA of 2.5, if you take another 60 hours of coursework and get all As, your GPA will be up to 3.25. After 2 more semesters (five total years in undergrad), it will be 3.4. A 3.4 is the mean for acceptees at DO med schools. A 3.6 is the mean at MD med schools. Summer school classes will make your GPA resuscitation go faster. Now reread Humid Being's post.

I think you might even have a chance at some MD schools if you do get all A's for the next two or so years. Make sure you get EC's done too.

I've been feeling a little down too. Haven't gotten any replies yet... I think you should definitely look into osteopathic medicine. It's slightly easier to get into than MD schools.

Disclaimer!! I have no acceptances yet, but here's my experience:

I have only 3.5 overall GPA, 3.3 science. And most of my pre-med requirements were low Bs and even high Cs....it hurts to look at my transcript. But I have a STRONG upward trend (3.1-->3.3-->3.7-->3.9), and at the two interviews I've had this year (Duke and UW), my interviewers made a point of acknowledging that upward trend. In fact, at Duke, when they asked what I thought my weakness was on my application, and I answered "(duh) grades," my interviewer said "but you have such a strong upward trend, which shows us that you can do the science, which is what really counts." Most schools aren't looking for high numbers because they're pretty...they're looking to see that you can do the science, and there is more than one way to prove that.

Also anecdotally, one of my very good friends, who I really think is one of the best people I know, had a 2.6 for 4 years of undergrad (and a 37 MCAT). But he didn't give up. It took him 3 application cycles, all the while taking hard, upper-division science classes to bring his GPA up, but he got in...to a top tier, US MD school. I don't know what his final GPA was when he was accepted, but I am sure it was well below the average GPA for the school...but the school didn't care, because he showed perseverance and he showed he was capable of doing the science.

The point...don't give up! Your chances are not shot, if you have the perseverance to do what it takes, from this point on. Do what Mobius says...resuscitate your GPA by taking as many science classes as you can, be patient, because it will take some time, and really round out your application in the meantime. Good luck, to you and to all of us that are struggling with goof-ups in our early years :)