1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Help! help! Application help needed!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by MidwestDental, Nov 14, 2002.

1. MidwestDental

MidwestDental Member

Hello, everyone. I have a big problem. I am trying to finish off my third recommendation for the AADSAS. I have 2 options:

1) Professors that I did not give a great impression to and did not get to know very well. Nevertheless, they are likely to at least remember who I am and comment accordingly.

2) A professor who probably does not remember me at all. I never ever interacted with this prof and she was just a lecturer.
    The class has 200+ people.

Which will probably make a better recommendation?

I'm thinking the professor who doesn't know a thing about me. They will probably just look at the grades I earned in the class, my personal statement, resume and other stuff and fill out some kind of form letter.

Do you think that some professors may actually try to sabotage you by giving a bad recommendation?

Thanks for your help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jtremend

jtremend Member

i would either take your chances with either professor, or just ask them both to write you a non-confidential recommendation. although, these type of letters have less credibility, you can choose the better one. its better that than to get a bad letter. and also, since the professor knows you will be reading it, they are less likely to write anything too negative. as long as not all of your letters are non-con, you should be fine.

4. Comet208

Dentist
    i' d go with the prof #1. make an appointment with him and try to make a good impression this time (this depends on how you treated him when you had him as a prof) most profs tend to forget who did what since they have lots of students every year.... again this is all relative....

just be nice to him.. start by asking him for some advice on dental school ... he is probably clueless, but will love it that you are seeking advice from him.. tell him how much you enjoyed his class and etc.... if everything goes well, he'll be more than willing to write you a rec.

this has worked for me, hope it works for you as well...

comet

5. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

I know of an organic chem professor who always tells the health care wannabe's in his classes that a good number of them who manage to become viable professional school candidates will eventually come to him wanting letters of recommendation without ever having made a prior effort to establish a rapport with him. He cautions them that it will be too late at that point, but that most of them will still fail to heed his warning.

6. MidwestDental

MidwestDental Member

Anyone else want to help me decide between #1 and #2?

I am going to make the request tommorow.