HELP, HELP, HELP, HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in doing a pediatric residency at an allopathic institution, how can I achieve this and still do an AOA rotating internship? Also, can I do an AOA residency in pediatrics and get an allopathic fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Do the AOA rotating internship and then apply for the MD Peds residencies. That would make the total number of years spent as a postgrad four, but if you want to be involved with the AOA in your later career, this is really your only option (or do an osteopathic Peds residency).

Allopathic fellowships are open ONLY to those who have completed allopathic residencies. Similarly osteopathic fellowships are open ONLY to those who have completed osteopathic residencies and, unfortunately, who are osteopathic physicians.

Not true Turtleboard,

DO's can do allopathic fellowships! I know an oncologist at Baylor who did an osteopathic internship, osteopathic internal medicine residency, allopathic oncology fellowship and allopathic subspecialization:

Robert J. Amato, D.O.
Associate Professor
Education: D.O., internship and residency training, Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Fort Worth, Tx.;

Fellowship, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Tx.

Special interests: genitourinary medical oncology; development of a gene therapy and vaccine program to treat prostate, testicular, and renal cancer.

<a href="http://www.urol.bcm.tmc.edu/physicians.html" target="_blank">http://www.urol.bcm.tmc.edu/physicians.html</a>

NAME John Anthony Papsidero, D.O.
Associate Professor
SPECIALTY: Otorhinolargyngology (Ear, Nose and Throat)
Facial Reconstructive Surgery
Plastic Surgery (Facial)
Osteopathy
MEDICAL SCHOOL: Michigan State University
College Osteopathic Medicine
POST GRADUATE: Residency-Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, Pontiac, MI
Fellowship-Cleveland Clinic Foundation - Otolaryngology
Cleveland, Ohio

BOARD CERTIFICATIONS: American Board of Otolaryngology

Members don't see this ad :)
JUSTIN,
YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM LANDING AN ALLOPATHIC PEDIATRIC RESIDENCY. I HAVE SEVERAL FRIENDS WHO ARE AT HENRY FORD HOSPITAL IN DETROIT FOR PEDIATRICS. THIS IS A LARGE ALLOPATHIC TEACHING FACILITY BUT THEY ARE RECEIVING AN OSTEOPATHIC DIPLOMA FROM BI COUNTY. BI COUNTY IS AN COMMUNITY OSTEOPATHIC HOSPITAL AFFILIATED WITH HENRY FORD. THEIR FIRST YEAR THEY SPEND THREE OR FOUR MONTHS AT BI COUNTY THEN THE REST OF THE TIME IS SPENT AT HENRY FORD.
IF YOU COMPLETE AN OSTEOPATHIC PEDIATRIC RESIDENCY YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM DOING AN ALLOPATHIC FELLOWSHIP.

You can definitely do an allopathic fellowship after an osteopathic residency. I met a Melanoma fellow at UCSF who did an osteopathic dermatology residency. I have also heard of people who got allopathic subspecialty fellowships in Medicine after an osteopathic IM residency. By the way, my classmate at TUCOM matched at Stanford for Pediatrics. You should have no problems matching either.