HELP HELP--> really need to imprve verbal...just a bit from 6-->8

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I just finished and received my MCAT score on Jan 31st. However, I really need to get some improvement on verbal section. Basically, I got P:11/ V:6/ B:12 and verbal section turn me down completely. Do you just have any intensive and heavy duty idea that i can work on my weakness. BTW, English is my second language and I am thinking speed is one of the limit factor. THANK YOU A LOT AND A LOT.

Members don't see this ad.

you won't be able to increase speed too much, that just can't be done in a short amount of time. I don't know what to say, I'm just hoping you HAVEN'T used EK101 passages yet. Assuming you haven't, BUY THAT BOOK. And go through all 14 tests before your next test day.

Read the passage once, get the main idea, tackle the questions. If you need to, go back to the passage, but don't read paragraphs again. Just glimpses of what you need to know to answer the question.

I'm assuming you have done all the AAMCs since you should have done that going into the MCAT. If you haven't, do them all! That's 8 more VR tests right there! You'll notice they are very similar to EK's 101 passages.

Thank you Marjan Islam

actually, i did all the AAMC and got my vernal from 6 to 10. mostly 7 or 8. and I did some of EK, but I did passages in separate. I will review and practice more. Do you think is it possiblme to improve if i give myself half year to one year?

If you've gotten a 10 on an aamc before than you can definitely consistently score that high in just a month or so of solid practice. What is your strategy for the verbal section?

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm....only one time to have 10 (AAMC 8R). It may be luck. However, I think I need to work on strategy since I have no strategy. I just directly read article and answer questions.....(the only strategy I use is to start on the passage I feel more comfortable with).

hey

irst time I wrote Mcat I got 2, last time I wrote it I got 9, u need at least 9 to be competitive, read new paper everyday!practice practice............. for at least 3 month study verbal at least 3-4 hours a day !:p

HEY Goat:

your reply is really encouraging. I definitely willing to devote my time on it. Waht kind of news paper or magazine did you use for practice and...does it take you 3 months?