1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help? How do ad/coms view MMSc/PA programs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Amatt1, May 1, 2004.

1. Amatt1

Amatt1 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've seen a few threads on PA programs before med school and I've read through the posts. My questions is, how do adcoms view applicants that are in the middle of either MMSc or PA programs? Is it possible/common to gain acceptance into med school w/o finishing that PA program or would you normally be required to complete your current MMSc/PA program. For my own reasons, I want and need to attend one of two particular med schools. I am currently waitlisted at both of these schools. However, I have been accepted to a very competitive PA program that starts this June. If I am going to have to wait another year and re-apply, I'd really like to attend this PA program both for experience/knowledge and for "insurance." Due to my family obligations, I have to stay in my current geographical region for med school to be feasible. Knowing this, I am aware that there is a chance that I may never get into either of these two schools. Thus, I want to attend this PA program but I would like to apply to med school for this comming year. I know that in most cases you can't have your cake and eat it too. And there is a financial variable to be considered. Any thoughts???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

My opinion:

PA's are also healthcare professionals. It's not an ACADEMIC program, the programs exist because we need PA's. Each spot taken by a PA is another inidividual that will help us during the coming era of massive allied health shortages. Each spot taken by someone who will not become a PA is a huge amount of our healthcare and educational resources spent for nothing. In fact, virtually all PA programs insist that they shouldn't be viewed as a stepping stone into medical school.

Secondly, PA programs are intense, very similar to medical school. When you go to medical school, you'll be repeating the very same stuff. If you're going to spend an extra year, why not study things you will never get a chance to see again? A masters degree in a science will probably get you publications and, thus, add substance to your Curriculum Vitae and potentially assist you in getting a good residency.

In short: I feel you would be wasting an opportunity and pursuing a "red herring" by going into the PA program without fully intending to become a PA.

Just my thoughts, nothing more.