1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! How do I get to Drexel from Manhattan via public transportation?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wannabedoc81, Nov 11, 2002.

1. wannabedoc81

wannabedoc81 Member
    7+ Year Member

I am totally ecstatic about getting an interview request but now I am lost about how to get to Drexel. Can any of you guys help me out?

Thanks!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wannabedoc81

wannabedoc81 Member
    7+ Year Member

4. TeinVI

TeinVI Membership Revoked
    Removed

take amtrak from penn station. get off at philly 30th st station and take the SEPTA to queen lane

5. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Member
    7+ Year Member

You can also take New Jersey transit from Penn Station (NorthEast Corridor) and switch in Trenton to SEPTA R7.
    Ask for the excursion fare. It is very easy.

This will get you into 30th Street station for about 30$ instead of 100$ on Amtrak. It takes about 2 1/2 hours as opposed to 1 1/2 hours on Amtrak. The R7 might take you within walking distance to the medical school, if you get off further east at Surburban station or Market East. I am not sure exactly where the school is.

6. Toots

Toots Dr. Librarian
    7+ Year Member

I agree with bodybuilder's idea - NJ Transit - Septa is MUCH cheaper than Amtrak and pretty convenient. You will have to transfer to another Septa train at 30th st. station to get to the Queen Lane stop - Drexel's med school is pretty far from their main undergrad campus, which is withing walking distance of 30th st. You can check www.septa.com to see the exact train you would need (R6 is ringing a bell, but I may be wrong).

Good luck at your interview!
    Toots

7. there may also be a regional line that goes from philly to nyc. i saw it on the board in philly, i am not sure what it was called. if you call the philly trainstation maybe someone can help you out

8. Lara

Lara Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The train from 30th St. station to Drexel is the R8 Chestnut Hill West line (at the Queen Lane stop). :)

I'd definitely suggest arriving in Philly sometime the day before via the NJT/Septa trains (which will connect in Trenton). You might be able to stay with a student which would make it a pretty cheap trip overall. If not, there's any number of hotels recommended on the brochure. The one I stayed at last April was the City Line Holiday Inn on Presidential Boulevard - pretty close to the med school and they gave free transportation to and from Drexel on interview day!

For more info, do a search for a poster named kaos - he/she recently interviewed at Drexel and had similar questions. :)