Help! How do I increase my chances of getting into D.O. school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RICHARD GRIFFIN

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help figuring out a strategy to get into a D.O. school. Here is my situation:
a.) I am 39 years old.
b.) I have a B.S. degree (GPA 3.865).
c.) I took prerequisite science classes on an accelerated bases for Chiropractic school (6 semester hours in G. Chem, O. Chem, and Physics)while working 40(+) hours a week...GPA 2.8.
d.) I have 3 children (and must continue to work full-time).
Does there exist a means by which I can increase my science GPA and obtain enough credit hours without repeating all the courses?
If I do need to repeat the courses, will the D.O. schools hold it against me if I'm only able to take one class a semester? Would taking the science prerequisites at a community college be frowned upon?

What can I do to increase my chance of acceptance? Any and all suggestions will be DEEPLY appreciated.

I'm very frustrated and (trying not to be) discouraged.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say forget about retaking classes. Although many will disagree with me, I do not see any possible way that retaking a class can benifit someone. Anyone who retakes a class is going to do better the second time because they have been through the material once already. If you have passed all the classes you need to apply, I would spend the time and money preparing for the MCAT, afterall this score is just as important. I would say go ahead and apply (I would first talk with admissions counselers at the schools I was interested in about my unique situation) with what you have. Apply to only DO schools, if you have valid motivations for doing so and research the schools you are interested in. Just my opinion.

BTW , you mention that you have to work, how will you support your family if offered an acceptance, just curious? And I guess there is one situation where it might benifit you to retake courses, if you have not taken the courses in 20 years and remember nothing. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with RollTide. I would also add that you should get to know a couple DOs and start shadowing them in hopes that you can learn about osteopathic medicine first hand. You will also need a letter from a DO.

As RollTide pointed out, contact the admissions counselors at the schools you're interested in. They are a valuable and often underutilized resource.

you said 6 sem. hours of the sciences??? or did you mean 8, because all med school require at least 8 semester hours/class???

also what school did you take them at??? was is North Lake in Irving, TX....

Each class was 6 semester hours, taken 2 years ago, on an "accelerated" basis on weekends...each class was 16 hours long each weekeend. Four weekends constituted a "semster." Six months to complete all the classes. I think they were essentially geared for Chiropractic school, since I in know way believe they will be of much help in preparing me for the MCAT.

I'm sure that I will have to (re)take the courses at the local university. What I want to know is if I do take the science pre-requisites one at a time (while working) will the D.O. schools even consider me as an applicant. What if I take any of them at a community college?

Yes, they will consider you as an applicant. In order to meet the prerequisites, plus a couple more (Biochemistry and Human Physiology), I took all but one of the courses in the evening. Usually 2 courses per semester/0 while preparing for the MCAT, while working full time ? took me three years. And, I took an English course at a community college. The schools I had interaction with had no problem with me taking courses in the evening in order to accommodate my work schedule ? however, I did get the impression that they would prefer for one to take their sciences at a university. If you can only take your science courses at a community college, you have justification for doing so, and I do not believe it will be held against you. I know of at least one person who took all of his prerequisites at a community college, and was accepted into two schools. Good luck to you.

Thank you OLDFART (and others) for the info.

More questions:
Are the D.O. schools willing to do an evaluation of transcripts to make recommendations that will increase a candidates chance of acceptance?

Any particular MCAT prep material or courses recommended?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I think it is to your advantage to meet with the school(s) you are interested in - you can set up appointments for "preapplicant advising". As for the MCAT, I took The Princeton Review course - w/ Kaplan you have to go to a center to do practice passages, which is not very convienent when working full time. Good Luck to you.

Hi there...I would also recommend applying and trying it out for now. You'll have to discuss your situation with the admissions counselors at the schools you would like to attend because 8 hours are required in each of those subjects. As far as the review course, I would also endorse the Princeton Review. I took the course last summer in preparation for the August MCAT, and the class size was small, good attention, and we also had fun. It was hard work, but I got to meet other people who were in the same boat as me. My scores increased tremendously on the practice exams. They test you about 6 times during the course, and so you are prepared for how it feels to take the MCAT.
Remember that the MCAT is nothing more than a marathon, and the more practice questions that you practice, the better you will do. The review class is definitely worth the $800 investment. It gave me a lot of piece of mind.
I have met many non-traditional applicants while I went on DO interviews this year, and so I know that it can be done. Just contact your admissions counselors and stay in contact with them. Be aggressive about it. Best of luck to you...I know it can be done!

$800 for the Princeton Review? Wow, it cost me $1190 to take it here in Abilene, TX. But I have to say it was money well spent since my actual MCAT score nearly doubled from the first practice MCAT I took with Princeton. We met on Sat and Sun for 10 weeks, it was hard work but also alot of fun and again the results were great!

To show you're not alone as a non-trad student I offer my stats:

BS in Molecular genetics, GPA 3.45, Science GPA 3.4
Married, two children (5 & 10)
UHS class of 2004!!!

Good luck....

Eric J
UHS04