HELP!!!! How many hours do you sleep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamyKid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered how much other people sleep. Generally on weekdays I kick in about 7 hours, and usually about 1-1.5 hrs of nap. So like 8-9 hours a day.

And on weekends I get 11-13 hours.

I'm a sleepaholic, and sometimes I feel like I sleep too much, but...I just can't get myself to get up sometimes, especially weekends. Jeez.

What about the rest of you? Do you guys do anything special to sleep better or ..get more REM sleep? (someone told me that's the key to sleeping, get as much REM as possible)

I wana cut down my hours so I can not be lazy and hit the gym, but it's hard.

HELP :(

Members don't see this ad.

6 hours /night...been tired though...really would like to sleep more. And hey, if your sleep hours work for you...keep at it! It's healthier that way. Also, sleeping tends to allow me to work more efficiently...hm...I should sleep now.

6 hours /night...been tired though...really would like to sleep more. And hey, if your sleep hours work for you...keep at it! It's healthier that way. Also, sleeping tends to allow me to work more efficiently...hm...I should sleep now.

I try to get an average of 7 hours sleep, and on the weekends I sometimes splurge and go for 10-12 hours. This is during med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anywhere from 0-10 hours, depending on the circumstances. More like 8-9 when I don't have to get up and more like 5-8 when I do.

It shoul be individual. Ainstain slept for 3h a day and it was enough for him:eek:. On the other hand maby you should check your Er, Hg... But that is just... dont you think:confused:

I try to get at least 7 hours on the weekday - below that I get tired in the afternoon and usually have no prospect of a nap. On the weekend I try to get between 8-10. No matter what day it is, I try not to get up later than 8 am, so I end up in bed between 10pm-midnight.

i need my sleep- i'm usually around 10 hours a night everynight

I sleep about four hours a night and it is not nearly enough. I have to spent about four hours studying for the MCAT after am done studying for my courses. I have to drink an excessive amount of caffeine every night. On weekends, I get about 8-10 hours and i think that provides me with enough energy to attack every upcoming week.

You should not skip on sleep during school. Sleep (REM) is when you convert your short term memory to your long term memory. So studying hard and then not getting any sleep is not very productive in the long run.

I try to get 7-8 hours every night, and get a little more on weekends. I try to get up at around the same time everyday, so that I'm not tired even if I didn't get a lot of sleep. It's been working pretty well so far.

to the OP:

That sounds heavenly. You sleep away, big guy.

On school nights I average around six hours, on weekends I manage about eight with an afternoon nap.

Members don't see this ad :)
School nights-5-6 hrs
Weekends-10 hrs...helps me be ready for the week, i'm so tired by friday i come home and sleep 2 hrs...

about 6 during the week; if I sleep too much, I don't feel well during the day. On the weekends I get about 8-10, however.

Depends on how much sleep I've been getting. I find that if I get 5-6 hours several nights in a row, one night I will crash for 10-12, and then the cycle will repeat itself again. I find naps can be helpful, though they can also botch up your ability to go to sleep later on that same day.

I'd say I average 6-7 hours, but copious amounts of caffeine can make up for a lot.

It depends for me. It ranges from 0 to about 10. The worst part is, I probably average about 6 at most, though.

When I have time, an average of about 8 1/2 usually works well for me on weekdays and 12 hours on weekends (especially after a looong week of late nights studying), but sometimes for a week or two here and there I need like, 9 or 10 hours/night. Not sure why. I read that insomniacs naturally need less sleep than most people do, so I'm guessing there are other people who are naturally at the other end of the spectrum.

this thread is making me sleepy... :sleep:

9 hours is the average for me. Since I've started wearing earplugs to bed, I've started sleeping about an hour less (used to be about 10 on average), I guess I sleep deeper because I'm not bothered by noise.

I prefer hibernation. I can't remember the last time I got less than 8 hrs. The best was when I was laid up with a broken leg and had the urinal bottle to pee in. Talk about ultimate sleeping laziness, not having to get up to pee.

4hr/night. 8hr/night on weekends.

On weekdays 0-6 hours....7 if I'm lucky:)
Weekends 7-10 hours

I rarely break 5 on weekdays, and usually friday/saturday night are 7-9hrs. Sunday is part of my weekday. When I was studying for the MCAT's thoug, less than four hours a night was quite regular, and almost guaruntee 1 or 2 all nighters per week.

7-9 hours a night, but up to 10-11 on occasion. I'm an M2, and I'm not going to be able to sleep in next year, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

I rarely break 5 on weekdays, and usually friday/saturday night are 7-9hrs. Sunday is part of my weekday. When I was studying for the MCAT's thoug, less than four hours a night was quite regular, and almost guaruntee 1 or 2 all nighters per week.
That's really not necessary, unless you were also working full-time and supporting a family. With that little sleep, you're probably inhibiting your memory consolidation of all the info you're studying.

That's really not necessary, unless you were also working full-time and supporting a family. With that little sleep, you're probably inhibiting your memory consolidation of all the info you're studying.

I'm not just a bio major, I work quite a bit, and read more books than you can imagine (for an undergrad; approx. 40 this semster, plus journal articles, papers, and other things. And yes, unfortunately, I do have to read it all).

W/ regards to your point about studying/ memory consoldiation; its not that big an issue, the reading is not tested, its all papers, and I take notes that I review when I write.

I've always wondered how much other people sleep. Generally on weekdays I kick in about 7 hours, and usually about 1-1.5 hrs of nap. So like 8-9 hours a day.

I'm a sleepaholic, and sometimes I feel like I sleep too much, but...I just can't get myself to get up sometimes, especially weekends. Jeez.

What about the rest of you? Do you guys do anything special to sleep better or ..get more REM sleep? (someone told me that's the key to sleeping, get as much REM as possible)

I usually get my best quality sleep when I am aerobically fit. You might want to try adding in a 30-minute brisk walk three times per week or a dip in the pool. The aerobic exercise helps with stress-reduction too which can eat into your "quality" sleep and make you feel less "rested" even if you are getting more hours.

I can't think of anything outside a glass or warm milk (or some turkey) that will help sleep. Do make sure that you are not falling asleep in front of the telly or with the radio blaring. You need peace and quiet for good sleep.

I sleep 5-6 hours a night during the week and then 7-8 hours a night on the weekend. Of course, these estimates assume that my landlady's dog doesn't keep barking all throughout the night for no reason like he does 60% of the time, so it varies.

OP, have you seen a doctor about sleeping so much?

If you're sleeping that much, yet still feeling tired, something might be off. It's probably worth checking out.

And adding exercise to your daily routine will definitely help improve the quality of your sleep!

School day: 5-6 hours
Weekend: 8-10 hours

I wish I could get 7-8 hours every night, that would be golden.

The problem with me isn't how many hours I sleep... it's at what time I have to wake up. If I have to wake up around 5-6 I'm screwed. If I wake up arond 7-8 I feel great the whole day.

Depends. Does sex count as sleep?

I have a messed up schedule, so my sleeping is a bit erratic. MWF I have to get up at 7, and I usually don't fall asleep before 1, or more often 2, so that's 5-6 hours. I try not to nap, but I do take the occasional snooze for 20-40 minutes. The rest of the week and weekends, I probably get about... 8-10 hours unless I get up early for an appointment, football game, etc.

Experts say you should aim for 6-8 hours, since more or less can supposedly be detrimental. I don't know whether this is 6-8 hours per night, period, or 6-8 hours per night, on average, so take it for what you will.

4-4.5 hours per night, days off approx. 9 hours per

work from 10pm-6am
sleep 7am-8am
class 9am-3pm
sleep in library 3pm-5pm
class 5pm-7pm
go home, eat, shower, shave 7pm-8pm
sleep 8pm-930pm

Taking 19 hours this semester, working 40 hours on night shift.

on my days off I sleep like a mofo.

I expect all As and 1 B.

I AM ALWAYS IN PAIN AND TOTALLY PISSED OFF.

I sleep around 10 per night on weekdays when I don't have exams, during a quarter without 8am classes. On the weekend its more like 13 hours a night. WHATS WRONG WITH ME?

5-6, but my roomate averages 13+ everyday, No lie

I usually get my best quality sleep when I am aerobically fit. You might want to try adding in a 30-minute brisk walk three times per week or a dip in the pool. The aerobic exercise helps with stress-reduction too which can eat into your "quality" sleep and make you feel less "rested" even if you are getting more hours.

I agree with this. When I work out, I usually feel great after 7 hours of sleep. I do 45 minutes of cardio 5 days a week and lift weights 2-3 times/week.

It's hard for me to sleep if I don't exercise and when I do sleep I need 8-9 hours.

I have a huge problem with sleeping. If there is something I need to do (ie go somewhere) I can easily get up and function with 6hrs of sleep or less. In the absence of such a commitment I seem to sleep up to 10-12 hours without a problem. I'm not sure whats going on or how to rectify this situation. It's problematic because if I can justify not getting up to myself my natural tendency to sleep too much kicks in. It's hard to draw any significant conclusions because I can't think of a week in my entire life since I've been in control of my own sleep schedule that I've slept the same amount each and every night. I'm trying with great difficult to establish a 7 hr per night sleep schedule but it always seems to get distorted into a 3-4 hr one night or more followed by 10-12 hour night of sleep. It's pretty frustrating.

8-9 hours...but then I don't drink caffeine!
I can stay up 24/7 if I have to though. However I haven't had to for a few months.

Go to the gym. Although it's hard to start, once you start the energy WILL flow. :biglove:

I know that whenever I stop working out I begin to feel sluggish.
Also, I wonder if you have a B12 defficiency? Perhaps you should ask your doc about being so tired.

I have a huge problem with sleeping. If there is something I need to do (ie go somewhere) I can easily get up and function with 6hrs of sleep or less. In the absence of such a commitment I seem to sleep up to 10-12 hours without a problem. I'm not sure whats going on or how to rectify this situation. It's problematic because if I can justify not getting up to myself my natural tendency to sleep too much kicks in. It's hard to draw any significant conclusions because I can't think of a week in my entire life since I've been in control of my own sleep schedule that I've slept the same amount each and every night. I'm trying with great difficult to establish a 7 hr per night sleep schedule but it always seems to get distorted into a 3-4 hr one night or more followed by 10-12 hour night of sleep. It's pretty frustrating.

Hmm, I can kind of do something similar. If I need to wake up at 5 AM on a given day, I'm able to do it no problem (sometimes I wake up exactly at 5 AM, really freaky). My biological alarm clock will wake me up at any time if I make it important enough to warrant my attention. :)

Usually, I sleep 5-8 hours a night, which is sufficient for me. I have been noticing though that I can't seem to pull all-nighters like I used to do -- is this the sign of a passing youth?:( -- and I will feel like extreme crap if I ever try one now.

OP you are so lucky. I have not been getting more then 5 hours of sleep because of exams. My eyes are kind of red and I am functioning on coffee.
An average person sleeps 25 years in one lifetime.

I don't know the neurologic basis of this, but everyone I've worked with in high hour programs or jobs has adapted to lower amounts of sleep over time. If you push through sleeping 4-6 hours a night for a few months, eventually you'll reach a point where you're used to it and you won't feel cognitive deficits. This isn't to say that deficits won't exist - I'm curious if anyone has any relevant articles on this.

I don't know the neurologic basis of this, but everyone I've worked with in high hour programs or jobs has adapted to lower amounts of sleep over time. If you push through sleeping 4-6 hours a night for a few months, eventually you'll reach a point where you're used to it and you won't feel cognitive deficits. This isn't to say that deficits won't exist - I'm curious if anyone has any relevant articles on this.

I'm pretty sure there is an extensive body of literature that indicates how unhealthy this is, might want to do a lit search. I'm trying to establish a 7hr per night sleep habit but like I said I'm having immense difficulty. I don't know if there is some underlying changeable physiological reason for this or what.

You may just become used to functioning at sub-maximal levels.

I have the same problem. Maybe 7 hours is just a really bad amount of time for you because of where you are in your REM cycle. Try 6.5, 7.5, or 8 hours. Sometimes those work for me. If you're willing to try something different that really works, one word: Strattera. It's meant for people with ADD/ADHD. It doesn't really help with attention/focusing at all, but it really helps you wake up and stay awake. It's a norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor, so you know that jolt that you get when your alarm clock goes off? It doesn't go away. You end up lying there awake and eventually realize you're not going to fall back asleep, so you get up. I took it for a few months in high school, but I stopped because I didn't like the short temper that I had when it was in my system.

Oh Christ, I hate that jolt. It's the most wretched feeling in the world, especially when it pulls you out of REM.

Probably 5-7 hours a days.
Never been a fan of sleeping. I always feel like I am missing on something. :(

i have the most f'ed up sleep patterns. i stay up for a couple weeks on end with naps when i pass out (2-4 hours) and then i'll sleep a lot for one weekend. not sure why i'm still alive...

I read a study recently that the optimal number of sleep hours is 7. More than that causes problems and less than that causes problems, cant remember what they were, but it did talk about Cancer!