HELP How the &$@* do I get into Ortho?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nymets53594

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really love orthodontics and am so upset with myself that I didn't do better in school. I have an 81 part 1 boards and average grades with no class rank. I have excellent recs from my GPR. I didn't get in last cycle and applying again and I doubt I'll get in again. Is there anyway I can get in, please help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can be a GP and do as much ortho as you want

Members don't see this ad :)
You can be a GP and do as much ortho as you want

It's not the same. I've been in private practice for 2 years now and it's all about endo and implants as a GP associate. You get 0 exposure to ortho as a GP associate. If you have your own practice it takes years to develop ortho within your practice.

Apply broadly, including those programs that charge outrageous tuition?

Thanks, that's what I'm trying this cycle. I hate the fact that the boards are now pass fail and I'm just basically stuck with my grade. You just feel like there's no mobility out of your situation, but I only have to blame myself for assuming I was only going to be a GP in dental school.

Have you tried for fellowship/internship programs? Or pedo first and then ortho?

Have you tried for fellowship/internship programs? Or pedo first and then ortho?

Not yet, that's my next plan I think. The downside and risk is if you do one of these fellowships and pay 60k, then don't get in it was basically a long, expensive waste. It's a huge gamble because I still may not get in.

Thanks, that's what I'm trying this cycle. I hate the fact that the boards are now pass fail and I'm just basically stuck with my grade. You just feel like there's no mobility out of your situation, but I only have to blame myself for assuming I was only going to be a GP in dental school.

I feel your pain. I'm in the same position. Best of luck!