cerulean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Status
Please help! I haven't taken Organic Chemistry II as a course yet and I need suggestions on the best way to use the month left to pick up whatever concepts I can.

I really need help on figuring out how to tell what type of reactions occur. I think I'm fine with stereochemistry, lab techniques, and some of the biochem. I thought I could get by through trying to memorizing the products of the different reactions, but I can't keep it all straight and can't apply that knowledge to any semi-complex molecules (like most of the molecules are in the passages) since there's no conceptual understanding of it in my head.

Resources I have are: Princeton Review bio book, Examcrackers, Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language, organic chemistry textbook, friend's organic chemistry notes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good plan of attack? I'm finishing working this week and can finally truly focus and spend a lot of of time on this. I'm really worried that this is too little, too late, but every little bit helps. Thanks!

JDMD243.0

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
cerulean said:
Please help! I haven't taken Organic Chemistry II as a course yet and I need suggestions on the best way to use the month left to pick up whatever concepts I can.

I really need help on figuring out how to tell what type of reactions occur. I think I'm fine with stereochemistry, lab techniques, and some of the biochem. I thought I could get by through trying to memorizing the products of the different reactions, but I can't keep it all straight and can't apply that knowledge to any semi-complex molecules (like most of the molecules are in the passages) since there's no conceptual understanding of it in my head.

Resources I have are: Princeton Review bio book, Examcrackers, Organic Chemistry II as a Second Language, organic chemistry textbook, friend's organic chemistry notes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good plan of attack? I'm finishing working this week and can finally truly focus and spend a lot of of time on this. I'm really worried that this is too little, too late, but every little bit helps. Thanks!
Got a 14 in biology so based on my experience I'd say:

Forget the OChem notes, stick to what's in the Princeton Review/Exam Krackers books. I'd read the Princeton Review chapters on Lab Techniques, Biochemistry, and Reactions and then do problems in the Science Workbook. Then I'd do the same with EK books. Keep in mind that OChem is only about 25% of Biology, and OChem II concepts tested are going to be fairly basic. So don't get too carried away devoting your time to it at the expense of other stuff...

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Do NOT waist your time on O.chem. There are only 2 passages from that subject and one of them is always an impossible one so forget it!

BXP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Kinda depends on what you are shooting for right? I mean, if you want 10s across the board, I'd say focus on other stuff.

This is assuming that you have taken ochem I, since that's a good chunk of O-chem stuff on the exam.

And beyond that, spend time with the lab techniques, those don't require ochem knowledge really.

Ochem itself is a small portion of the biology section, and Ochem II is only another maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of total ochem.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Take a bunch of practice tests, and take advantage of review material. I bombed O1 and I'm not taking O2 before the Jan MCAT so I'm pretty much going to rely on reviewing practice tests and buying an EK book (if I stop being cheap). Good luck!

Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
Medical Student
sekem said:
Do NOT waist your time on O.chem. There are only 2 passages from that subject and one of them is always an impossible one so forget it!

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT FORM YOU GET!! I made the mistake of "not wasting time on orgo" when I took the MCAT in August 2005. GUESS WHAT?? I had FIVE difficult o-chem passages--it was half of the section.