Help! I failed Step II CK, but I already match in ophtho and transitional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Help me please!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I'm freaking out! I matched in ophthalmology and in my transitional year already, so I relaxed too much and failed my step 2 CK! I have a few questions I need help with.

1. How do I find out whether or not my scores have been released? I don't remember ever making a choice about whether or not to release them.

2. Does my ophthalmology program automatically find out about this? If so, how much trouble am I in? Can they pull my acceptance?

3. Same thing as #2 but with my transitional year program.

4. My transitional program doesn't start until late June, 2006. Since it's the end of April now, if I retake the exam before my start date, will I be okay? I know my school doesn't require the Step 2 to graduate, but I'm worried about being allowed to enter residency.

5. Any other help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Help me please! said:
Help! I'm freaking out! I matched in ophthalmology and in my transitional year already, so I relaxed too much and failed my step 2 CK! I have a few questions I need help with.

1. How do I find out whether or not my scores have been released? I don't remember ever making a choice about whether or not to release them.

2. Does my ophthalmology program automatically find out about this? If so, how much trouble am I in? Can they pull my acceptance?

4. My transitional program doesn't start until late June, 2006. Since it's the end of April now, if I retake the exam before my start date, will I be okay? I know my school doesn't require the Step 2 to graduate, but I'm worried about being allowed to enter residency.

Thanks!

OK, take a deep breath and relax, this isn't the end of the world and you aren't the first person who has had a bump in the road.
1. As far as I know, you should be able to look on ERAS and find out if the scores were released or not. Check under the programs you applied to and pull the matched ones from your drop down list. You should see a list of everything that was sent from that source to the programs. If unsure, contact them directly. Also check with your Dean's office- they also have the transcripts and ask if they sent anything out.

2 and 3. If the scores were not sent from ERAS or another accredited source (such as your Dean's office) then they probabaly don't know. I don't think they can access that info independently of you releasing it to them. I would expect that they will be asking for that info if they haven't already done so, to complete your file for entering the program. Have you signed a contract with either of the programs yet? If so, they can't just unilaterally drop you unless the terms of the contract give them that right. Check the terms closely for any generalized language about being able to drop you if you don't qualify to enter the program, that is what they would go on. You must pass Step 2 to qualify for most programs- but then again, I haven't seen any contracts that specify that it must be on your first attempt. So read those contracts carefully and look for it!

4. You are correct here! Get thee to a testing center and retake as soon as you can so you can have passing scores before you start internship. If you can tell the programs that you are waiting for scores and the date you took it (this time, not the last time) that should mollify them.

5. Above all, keep your chin up! This is just a temprary set back. This too shall pass and so will you!
Good luck!

You need to talk to your advisor or dean stat.
As answered above simply check eras to see whether you auto released your score. If not, business as usual. I wouldn't lie if asked, but you aren't required necessarily to volunteer info either, especially if you can remedy the situation before you start.

Discretely find out if the state you are going to requires step 2 for intern year. If not, you could potentially take it in intern year since your school (unlike most) do not require step 2 for graduation.

If you retake now you will have a passing score three Wednesdays after you take the exam. Make sure you absolutely pass though assuming you matched in ophtho you are very bright and had a great step 1, but still, study more than you think you have to. As motivation - keep in mind there are many states where three failures at any step will bar you from ever practicing in that state (including Texas).

Best of luck, just think of this as a minor setback in the road of life you will laugh at years from now.

Help me please! said:
4. My transitional program doesn't start until late June, 2006. Since it's the end of April now, if I retake the exam before my start date, will I be okay?

Thanks!

since it's now april 29th, i think you'll have to shoot for June 1st eligibility. take the exam by the 1st wednesday of June and hopefully your passing score will be reported by your start date :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Help me please! said:

Thanks!
Just study hard, pass the exam, and you'll be fine. Claim a brief period of reversible insanity v. computer error. (There's really no excuse not to pass this exam.)

bigfrank said:
Just study hard, pass the exam, and you'll be fine. Claim a brief period of reversible insanity v. computer error. (There's really no excuse not to pass this exam.)

i have no idea how it works, but i wish you well dealing with this bump in the road. sh@#$% happens

frank i'm new here and already you are killing me. why you would tell someone there is really no excuse they didn't pass when they have already expressed anguish about the matter. its called kicking when already down. pointless. as helpful as you are on SDN, its unfortunate you feel the need to throw jabs at people asking for help.

surgical06 said:
i have no idea how it works, but i wish you well dealing with this bump in the road. sh@#$% happens

frank i'm new here and already you are killing me. why you would tell someone there is really no excuse they didn't pass when they have already expressed anguish about the matter. its called kicking when already down. pointless. as helpful as you are on SDN, its unfortunate you feel the need to throw jabs at people asking for help.

I know many very bright people who have failed standardized exams. As long as you don't make the serious mistake of equating overall skill with scores on these tests you'll be fine. Remember that some who get high scores are just good at taking those kinds of tests- that's all it really means. So keep your chin up and don't worry about what others think. It only matters what you think! Good luck!

surgical06 said:

YOU seem to like previous advice I've given you. ;)

In any case, anybody that matched in Ophtho is obviously VERY bright and just didn't study enough. Period. That was my point.

The OP should consider it a round-about compliment.

Is reminding OP that he didn't study enough for this exam of any assistance at this point? Helpful advice, not a schoolmarmish scolding, is what this guy/gal needs now. BTW, inferring intelligence from specialty choice(or Step 1 score, Step 2 score, and on and on) is not so smart.

maugham said:
Is reminding OP that he didn't study enough for this exam of any assistance at this point? Helpful advice, not a schoolmarmish scolding, is what this guy/gal needs now. BTW, inferring intelligence from specialty choice(or Step 1 score, Step 2 score, and on and on) is not so smart.
I find it troubling that anyone would seek advice on such (and I agree with you) an important topic from an anonymous internet message board.

CONTACT THE PROGRAM.

Thanks for everyone's help. The reason I posted on an anonymous message forum is that I'm really embarassed about failing Step II. I'd prefer not to have my transitional and ophtho programs see that I messed up royally.

I looked at ERAS and saw that my scores have not been automatically released yet (phew!). I'm going to talk with one of the deans at my medical school for some advice tomorrow. In terms of rescheduling the exam, I paid for the registration and now am just awaiting that orange scheduling thing to be sent in the mail.

Hopefully I can just retake it, pass, and continue on with my career.

I'm confused, don't you need to pass Step II CK to get a temp. license?

Also, isn't there a waiting time (60-90 days) before you can reapply to take the exam?

I'm curious because I just took the Step II CK and goodness knows I could have done better.

rs3 said:

Also, isn't there a waiting time (60-90 days) before you can reapply to take the exam?

I'm curious because I just took the Step II CK and goodness knows I could have done better.

This is my first post ever. I am a 3rd year who is trying to figure out the application process and still dont know what i will do with my life. I noiced you matched in a transition year AND an optho program......Is this phttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3664406#
laughyossible??? If so, I'd like to speak with you about the process of applying in 2 different fields, and how a transition year works. Thank you in advance for your response

PS. i know this is off the subject and should prob be in a different thread, but I'm new here and dont know how to start a new thread :laugh:

rs3 said:

What about step 2 cs? anyone know the requirements for temp license/residency programs for this in general?

jpinsky said:
This is my first post ever. I am a 3rd year who is trying to figure out the application process and still dont know what i will do with my life. I noiced you matched in a transition year AND an optho program......Is this phttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3664406#
laughyossible??? If so, I'd like to speak with you about the process of applying in 2 different fields, and how a transition year works. Thank you in advance for your response

PS. i know this is off the subject and should prob be in a different thread, but I'm new here and dont know how to start a new thread :laugh:

JPinsky, if you apply in ophthalmology, radiology, anesthesiology, rad/onc, and some ER programs, you have to do a PGY-1 (post-graduate year). You can choose to do a transitional or a preliminary year. In other words, you HAVE to apply to a specialty plus a PGY-1 program at the same time.