Help, I missed the FAFSA deadline.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xemnas83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted off the waitlist for the 2017 class (cycle that's about to end). I filled out the Fafsa in October, but never submitted it because I stupidly thought there was no point if I had no acceptance. I just submitted it past the federal deadline. Classes start in a couple weeks. Am I screwed? What should I do? It somehow accepted it and I got an email saying it's processing.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Take a deep breath - you have done what you can do. You are accepted at a school so you are now a future medical student. People are at your school paid to literally make sure you can succeed. Just do what you can from this point on to be helpful and be as proactive as you can.
2/3. FAFSA is being processed and the completed fafsa will be sent to your school.
2/3. Maybe give a call to FAFSA or give call to your accepted school. Tell them your situation and see what can be done. If nothing, then at least you tried. Perhaps they tell you everything is okay and don't worry about it. Who knows. Report back here what happens so that others in your position can read this and get help.

Thanks a lot. I'll call my school and see what happens. I'm just worried about how I'm going to pay tuition without aid.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember - there are literally company departments and Grad Plus Loans hell-bent on giving loan money to students, especially for grad school. You have made it here so the money will come. If you miss the first semester of unsubsidized federal student aid it is not a big deal. That is the worst scenario.

Thanks a lot. I'll call my school and see what happens. I'm just worried about how I'm going to pay tuition without aid.

It's not too late. I have undergrad/grad students that recently completed it. I'd suggest you completing your Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note asap to prevent any hold up on your disbursement timeline. If you get selected for verification make sure to do that asap.

Now that I think about it, I had a student complete the 16/17 FAFSA for Summer aid just in the last month or two. You're good.

Last edited:
If it's anything like how undergrad FAFSA works you'll be fine. I forgot to apply for mine last year and applied a week before school started even though it was 3 months past the deadline and it only took them a few weeks for it to appear on my student account.

it is NOT too late.

You could fill it out anytime during the actual school year. I think the deadline for school year that's about to start is next May or June.

Last Oct was just the earliest you could submit.

you're fine

At least for my med school, the FAFSA deadline was just enforced for need-based aid determination. If people submitted after the deadline, they would still get federal aid no problem. Someone in your situation who was accepted in July, they wouldn't get need-based aid from my school because that had already been handed out in the spring, but they would get federal. You should be fine.

At least for my med school, the FAFSA deadline was just enforced for need-based aid determination. If people submitted after the deadline, they would still get federal aid no problem. Someone in your situation who was accepted in July, they wouldn't get need-based aid from my school because that had already been handed out in the spring, but they would get federal. You should be fine.
This is the case at my school as well.

Thank you so much everyone. I wasn't sure how fafsa works but this makes me feel a lot better.

Edit: I just called my school and they said it's no problem, I'll still get loans. Whew.

Last edited:
Did they say how long it will take to process?

Thank you so much everyone. I wasn't sure how fafsa works but this makes me feel a lot better.

Edit: I just called my school and they said it's no problem, I'll still get loans. Whew.

Did they say how long it will take to process?