HELP!!! I need a medically related job until I get into med school!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by u2ecila, Mar 14, 2002.

1. u2ecila

u2ecila Senior Member

Hi Everyone,
    I need some advice! I have been out of school for several years, and now I want to apply to med school. I need to find a good health related job until I get in! :confused:

Here is my background:
    I have a math degree, all of the pre-med requirements, a little ER volunteer experience, and I worked in a physics research lab while in college. I plan on taking the August MCAT and, hopefully, start med school fall of '03 or '04.

I'm doing engineering now, and I am going postal!
    :( It is somewhat medically related, but not enough to help.

Anyone in a similar situation? What are you doing until you get in? Anyone have any good ideas for jobs with my (lack of) experience?

thanks for any help!
    alice

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by u2ecila:
    <strong>Hi Everyone,
    I need some advice! I have been out of school for several years, and now I want to apply to med school. I need to find a good health related job until I get in! :confused:

Here is my background:
    I have a math degree, all of the pre-med requirements, a little ER volunteer experience, and I worked in a physics research lab while in college. I plan on taking the August MCAT and, hopefully, start med school fall of '03 or '04.

I'm doing engineering now, and I am going postal!
    :( It is somewhat medically related, but not enough to help.

Anyone in a similar situation? What are you doing until you get in? Anyone have any good ideas for jobs with my (lack of) experience?

thanks for any help!
    alice</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Get your EMT certification and either volunteer or get a job in a clinic/ambulance...

4. u2ecila

u2ecila Senior Member

How long does it take to become an EMT and how do you become one?

thanks!
    alice

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    The length of time varies by state. Check your local communicty colleges for classes. My state requires a 120 hours course (15 weeks for me -- one saturday each week) and to pass the state and national EMT exams.

Good luck...

6. 12nico12

12nico12 Junior Member

i would check out doing research at nih for a year- the postbac IRTA program. ...

7. trout

trout Senior Member

I would go chack out your local hospital listings there are so many jobs that get a lot of patient contact but don't require any degrees or special training..
    pca=physician care assistant...depending on the hospital your responsibilities will vary, at our hospital they take vitals and get things for patients (like water, magazines)
    EKG tech=you hook up the leads (sp?) and watcht the monitors
    transportation (yeah you can actually get paid for this)
    phlebotomist=some states you don't need training, other states you do
    information/help desk...not exactly the best patient care but you still have interactions
    In NY you can actually do your EMT in an intensive summer course in 4-6 weeks (at local community colleges) so maybe your state you can do that...or we also have CFR (certified first responders and they need even less training and you can still ride on the ambulance for our squad)

good luck...plus something else is just do volunteer work or work with a group...I did a lot of work with disabled children and I liked it much better than hanging in a hospital getting things for nurses that were too lazy to get themselves...