Help! I need some quick Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elijah444

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI, I just got back my August MCAT and was content with two of my 3 scores. I did fine in the sciences but did really lousy on the Verbal. I have taken the test two previous times and did not do that much better overall. I got 21 for a total the previous two times and a 22 this time. I have about a 3.65 GPA, tons of good hospital experience, medical researh and great rec. letters. However, I dont want to go to the carribean if I dont have to. I about to apply to as many schools as I can that take lower scores. Please just give some advise as to what to do or where to apply. I will still be a doctor no matter what I just hope they look at my whole picture and not just one stupid score on one section of the MCAT!!
Please advise soon!

Members don't see this ad.

How bad is bad? Unfortunate as it may seem, AdComs still look at the numbers, but if there's something in your application that will (hopefully) make up for your "lousy" score, then that'll help you get farther.

For example, since your verbal score is low, you may want to show that you're actually really a good reader/writer by: 1) taking some lit courses and doing well in them, 2) knocking out a GREAT personal statement, 3) some variation of suggestion #1.

Tim of New York City.

Unfortunately, given your specs, it looks like you had probably either look into DO school or start packing for tropical weather. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it's probably better if you get a splash of icewater in the face right now. Read any of the countless posts on this forum alone and most of those people's "whole pictures" sound the same, if not better, than yours. Fact of the matter is, MCATx3 (avg=21.3) and 3.65 are such mediocre numbers that you can well be the reincarnation of Mother Theresa and it's probably not going to make much difference. I have heard of people who have applied to as many as 40 schools without as much as an interview. By all means go ahead and apply to that many and more - and spend a LOT of money doing so - but statistics show that it doesn't significantly improve your chances. I commend your persistence but sadly it takes more than that to get into an allopathic school.