Help..I'm hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Klown

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, check it out. I haven't been in school in 5 years. This first year of college is killing me. Half the stuff I should know, I don't remember. Relearning everything has been a slow and rather frustrating experience and its pushing me way behind the rest of the students. I also moved from living in a tropical climate to going to college here in the arctic, so this weather is just really beating me down as well. I already had to drop a class that I really enjoyed, and had potential to do very well in, because I've been bedridden over every exam this semester. Anyone been in a situation such as this, and how do I pull myself out of it. I really need some advice, because i currently feel like my entire college experience is equivelant of trying to swim through jello...I never seem to go anywhere and the harder I fight, the bigger mess I make of things. Its getting rather frustrating and I'm really starting to question whether its worth it or not.

Members don't see this ad.

hey Klown...
Its going to be difficult only in the beginning and it would keep getting easier...important is that u do not loose hope and keep working hard towards ur goals...I understand that its much easier said...but this attitude is what would help u thru...and it is certainly worth it...
jiten:)

hey i am really sorry about ur situation,
first of all if u are not happy at ur school, i dont think its to late to transfer,maybe to somewhere warmer or somewhere where u have freinds and family that can encourage u.
if not believe me, u are not the only one finding it difficult to adhust to the cold weather!:rolleyes:
in ur classes, if u dont understand anything, then u should talk to ur professors and explain ur situation, u should go to their office hours and just show them that u are dedicated, in my own case, more often than not, my professors have helped me considerably either by giving the whole class extra credit homeworks or something else, just dont give up. form study groups, u mention that u are a 'non-trad', i dont know how old u are but in my school there is a support system for continuing education adults, so try and find one at ur school
also since this is ur first time being back in class, maybe u should not take too many classes, take the minimum to keep ur loans, scholarships or whatever program that requires it.

Believe me most people dont find college easy, between u and me i cry everyday, sometimes two times a day, some times at midnight, so i can kill two days with one stone!;)

what i am trying to say is life is a tough journey, if u give up at every obstacle then u wont get anywhere. so whatever problems u are facing, whatever classes u aren't doing well in, u know what dust ur self and try again, and again and again. :)
good luck and let us know how it works out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by immediatespring

Believe me most people dont find college easy, between u and me i cry everyday, sometimes two times a day, some times at midnight, so i can kill two days with one stone!;)

Immediatespring: so I guess your avatar is not just a baby, but a "crybaby" :laugh:

Tried to reply to this and accidentally started a new thread.

Originally posted by Klown
Thanks. I appreciate the support. I actually really like the school here, the students and faculty are absolutely outstanding people, so I really don't want to transfer....if they only could airlift the campus to Hawaii, I'd be set! :cool: I guess they do have an adult support program, but from my understanding its for people over 25 or with children. Since I'm only 22 and don't have any kids that kind of rules me out unfortunately. There is an acedemic enhancement program on campus that I'm starting to attend, but I don't know if its too late. Mid-semester already went by and my grades are just looking sorry. My highest grade is a C and I just totally bombed an exam in that class, so thats probably around the D/F average with the rest of my classes now too.

there u go!

hey i have told this story before but in my secon organic chemistry course i failed all six midterms, i mean i was the last in the class in all midterms so i was basically looking at a D/F, but i talked to my professor, and i studied hard for the final, i got the fourth highest score in the final and because of that my professor curved the class so that i got a B+, anytime i feel discouraged or anytime i fail an exam , i go to my transcript, i look at that B+ and i know thats its not the end, so cheer up!

i just got back my engineering exam score from last week, i got 54 %, so i already scheduled my crying for tomorrow after my biochemistry exam ;)

Hey qweewq11 :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: , u got that right!

Klown,

My last science class was in 1998. My last full time semester was in 1996. I took the TPR MCAT Hyperlearning class in January 2002 and thought I would die.

On the first day they have you take a 6 hour test combining all the basic sciences and I nearly had a breakdown.

Now I am in GChem and have myself on a study schedule. I also work 40 hours a week. To get myself back in synch for science classes I maintain the following schedule:

Mon - Work, Workout for 1 hour

Tue - Work, Step Aerobics, Evening Class

Wed - Work, Workout for 1 hour

Thur - Work, Step Aerobics, Evening Class

Fri - Class, Volunteer or get some health and beauty stuff done to myself

Sat - Walk 3 miles, study, or just relax

Sun - Go to church, study, study, study

My point is I have a set schedule and physical, mental, and spriritual balance is the key. I maintain a PDA that I document all my tasks in. My faith in God is key too b/c I talk to him about my problems. Oh and the exercise is invaluable. When I want to chew someone's head off I go get on the elliptical machine instead.

I think you know what you need to do. Just make up in your mind you are going to use all your willpower to finish your classes with stellar grades.

Remember...SELF CONTROL is knowing you can but DECIDING you won't.

Hey klown

I feel for you. I understand what you are going through. I just transfred from a community college to a four year univesity. I was very stable at the CC getting mostly 4.0s but now that I'm in a big university, I have been taking a beating. I really started to question myself about the my future on becoming a doctor, but my father one day said, " There is nothing in this world that is valuable that comes easy". I don't know if I'm making any sense, but all I'm saying in the end you will realize how meaningful your accomplishments are.

P.S. Yes I do cry mostly when my roommate is not there.:D

Its been 5 years since you've been to school, your first year will definately be rough (undoubtedly you have forgotten many basic knowledge). Don't worry though, learn the material down cold this year and the later years will be much easier. I say this because you will have a level playing field with the rest of your classmates in terms of fundamental knowledge required for more advanced courses.

Goodluck!

P.S. I definately agree with Immediatespring in only taking the absolute minimum number of classes your first semester.

Here is some reasons why..
A. You will be taking less risk on your GPA (You probably are still refining your study techniques)

B. If you do well this semester (which will be easier to do with a ligher courseload) you'll build confidence for later semesters