HELP! - I'm not sure how to apply to NYU/Columbia (Non-AMCAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What's the process of applying to non-amcas columbia and nyu? where do i send my transcripts to? (they don't have application online yet but i'd like to take care of transcript requests while i'm still visiting home for vacation (i had attended community colleges in cali while in hs)).

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Yogi Bear:
•Hi,

What's the process of applying to non-amcas columbia and nyu? where do i send my transcripts to? (they don't have application online yet but i'd like to take care of transcript requests while i'm still visiting home for vacation (i had attended community colleges in cali while in hs)).•••••1) Call the schools up and ask them to mail you their application.

2) Request transcripts to be sent DIRECTLY to the schools (NYU, Columbia). You probably can find the address on the website. If not, post here and someone I'll sure will provide it.

3) Make sure you released your MCAT scores to NYU/Columbia.

4) Have your recommendations sent directly to NYU and Columbia. Try to arrange having your SS# attached to the recs so that it's easy for NYU/Columbia to track them.

5) Fill out the applications (Columbia's is online, they'll tell you how to get there) and NYU is paper. They will provide all the instructions. Write them a big check!!!

6) Wait, hopefully interview and get accepted!

Anything I missed?

Go to their respective web sites and go from there:

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons

630 W. 168th Street
New York, NY 10032
(212) 305-3595

Admissions E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: <a href="http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/ps" target="_blank">http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/ps</a>
Electronic application: <a href="http://psadmissions.hs.columbia.edu" target="_blank">http://psadmissions.hs.columbia.edu</a>

///////////////////////////////////////////
NYU School of Medicine

New York University

550 First Avenue
New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-5290

Web site: <a href="http://www.med.nyu.edu" target="_blank">http://www.med.nyu.edu</a>

Columbia's application is available online and can be completed online. NYU is the POLAR opposite-- they'll send you their paper application which you'll have to fill out by hand, yes. . . hand (or typewriter!) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean we can't submit NYU until August? So no need to worry about it now?

The student should complete the application form and return it with the $75 application fee (non-refundable) to the Committee on Admissions between August 6 and November 15, the final date for application acceptance. Applicants are required to submit transcripts of all college and graduate-level work, including summer school, and a college faculty evaluation, which may consist of a premedical committee appraisal or two letters from individual faculty members. These should be forwarded to the Committee on Admissions as early as possible. Applicants must make sure that the supporting material they have have requested has actually been forwarded. The Office of Admissions will try to advise the candidate if complete data are not received within a reasonable time, but the responsibility for ensuring that the application is complete rests with the applicant. It is to be emphasized that although the final date for filing of applications is Nov. 15, the deadline for the completion of applications is Jan. 5. Applicants are required to take the standard medical school admission assessment test. They are strongly urged to take the test in April or August of the calendar year preceding the year of entrance into medical school, in other words in the second term of the junior year or prior to the first term of the senior year. Those who take the test at a later date may find themselves at a logistical, if not competitive, disadvantage in that the class may be filled, or largely so, before the receipt of test scores. Applications and general information about the test may be obtained from college advisers.

Yes and No. Fill it out but you can only submit in August. You have plenty of time to revise the essay between now and then.

Good luck. You guys are more on top of things than I ever was.

when did everyone from 2002 amcas submit their transcripts?

June

Try using the poll function.

Thanks.

Is the NYU essay different from the personal statement? How about Columbia's essay?

are there addresses to send transcripts etc ... to columbia and nyu? or is that to be told later?

Why do these schools not use AMCAS anyways? They're making it more difficult for all of us....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lady bug:
•Why do these schools not use AMCAS anyways? They're making it more difficult for all of us....•••••probably because they are only interested in people who really want to go to their school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Premed2003:
• How about Columbia's essay?•••••As I recall, the AMCAs personal statement can be easily adapted to answer the columbia essay question.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jot:
•are there addresses to send transcripts etc ... to columbia and nyu? or is that to be told later?•••••Columbia's website or else the application itself (definitely do the Embark on-line version rather than the paper!) will tell you where to send transcripts.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lady bug:
•Why do these schools not use AMCAS anyways? They're making it more difficult for all of us....•••••Spoken like someone who's never had the pleasure of dealing with AMCAS!! :wink: Seriously, be glad some schools don't use AMCAS. After taking the August MCAT and having to threaten AMCAS with legal action to get my scores sent out (and application processed, but thankfully that wasn't an issue with Columbia), Columbia offered me my first interview.