HELP, I’m WL but just got offered to apply Early Acceptance for next year. But no guarantee of a seat. Should I try that or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpconfusedpremed

Reaction score
So confused! Please help me not do something stupid. I applied narrowly last cycle to 5 schools where I fit the mission well (Because money) and got only one interview - at a nice DO school, where I got waitlisted :(

I’ve been preparing furiously for a very broad reapplication And saved up like crazy. I contacted the school and asked how I could improve for reapp. They said they liked my app a lot, they would have given me a seat this cycle if they had an open one, and I could apply early decision with them for 2021 matriculation withouT having to interview again. but they did not guarantee me a seat or anything.

I don’t consider myself a sure applicant (3.0 undergrad GPA + 3.7 postbacc GPA = 3.3 cumulatively, 515 MCAT, a couple posters, solid clinical and volunteering).
I just don’t know whether it is wiser to take this “offer” of early decision from this school and withhold my other applications until they decide... or if I should decline the early decision program and just reapply broadly as planned. I’m really wary of being late in the game for everywhere else if they don’t accept me for the early decision program ... but worried I’ll be blacklisted everywhere for declining the option. Help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So confused! Please help me not do something stupid. I applied narrowly last cycle to 5 schools where I fit the mission well (Because money) and got only one interview - at a nice DO school, where I got waitlisted :(

I’ve been preparing furiously for a very broad reapplication And saved up like crazy. I contacted the school and asked how I could improve for reapp. They said they liked my app a lot, they would have given me a seat this cycle if they had an open one, and I could apply early decision with them for 2021 matriculation withouT having to interview again. but they did not guarantee me a seat or anything.

I don’t consider myself a sure applicant (3.0 undergrad GPA + 3.7 postbacc GPA = 3.3 cumulatively, 515 MCAT, a couple posters, solid clinical and volunteering).
I just don’t know whether it is wiser to take this “offer” of early decision from this school and withhold my other applications until they decide... or if I should decline the early decision program and just reapply broadly as planned. I’m really wary of being late in the game for everywhere else if they don’t accept me for the early decision program ... but worried I’ll be blacklisted everywhere for declining the option. Help!!!!
Did your app change between last cycle and this cycle? You had that 515 when applying before?

Reactions: 1 user
Did your app change between last cycle and this cycle? You had that 515 when applying before?

I did have that 515 from before. My improvements since my last submission: I have 30 more credits (3.8), more clinical hours from a weekend job, a new research position for the coming year, another 200 or so volunteer hours. I re-did my personal statement as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have that 515 from before. My improvements since my last submission: I have 30 more credits (3.8), more clinical hours from a weekend job, a new research position for the coming year, another 200 or so volunteer hours. I re-did my personal statement as well.
If that school is your #1 go ahead and ED. However, with those stats, I would be applying MD and DO broadly and not lose time waiting for an ED decision to come back

Reactions: 1 user
If that school is your #1 go ahead and ED. However, with those stats, I would be applying MD and DO broadly and not lose time waiting for an ED decision to come back
Thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Do you think I will be "blacklisted" at DO schools if I decline the opportunity to reapply through their Early Decision pathway?

Thank you so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Do you think I will be "blacklisted" at DO schools if I decline the opportunity to reapply through their Early Decision pathway?
I do not think you will be blacklisted at that specific DO school. There would be no reason to blacklist you if you apply regular decision.