HELP: Institutional Action (help me sleep at night, please)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Clearly the moral of the story is that you need to move off campus for a little more 4th amendment protection.

I'm thinking the moral of the story is, either:
Don't do drugs!

or

Don't draw/write weird sh-- and turn it in to a professor!

or

Don't take off your tin foil hat or they'll get you!

or

If you're bored start a thread on SDN about how you are paranoid that med school admissions deans are psychic and will see your deepest darkest secrets and probe you while you sleep!

Members don't see this ad.

:D Priceless... Angelina J. needed to be in a Med School admissions office!

AJ: Hello, Hollywood Upstairs School of Medicine, Admissions Office.
Ramon: Do you think my application will be rejected?
AJ: What's your name?
Ramon: I can't tell you that, I'm paranoid.
AJ: What application?
Ramon: The one I haven't sent you yet.
AJ: Please send your application. We'll review and respond to you then.
Ramon: I can't send it yet, I'm in JAIL!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, may I suggest you ask the mods to lock this thread down? Not only do you have your answer, but you (a) are freaking yourself out even more, and (b) aren't going to get any more useful replies. Just people telling you that you are, in fact, flipping your **** over this.

Just get things straight with your school. And with yourself if there is anything that needs to be worked out.

OP, may I suggest you ask the mods to lock this thread down? Not only do you have your answer, but you (a) are freaking yourself out even more, and (b) aren't going to get any more useful replies. Just people telling you that you are, in fact, flipping your **** over this.

Just get things straight with your school. And with yourself if there is anything that needs to be worked out.

Agreed.

You got your answer, OP. Now it's nothing but bunch of jokers trying to take advantage of this situation by trying to make funny jokes.

absolutely DO NOT call med schools and ask about this.. tha twould be so weird.. just forget about it, move off campus bc res life freaking blows and will search your room for no reason and er.. maybe put a disclaimer on any future art that may seem violent?

Well if you go to a school that uses a premed committee your premed advisor might give you a less than stellar LOR since he/she probably thinks you're a weirdo. If you try to circumvent this by not using the committee it might raise an eyebrow with medical schools. :thumbup:

With their eyebrows raised the medical schools then call your premed advisor and dean and learn of this assignment. The ADCOMS demand a copy of it which they then forward to their ADCOM friends at other medical schools. Lkke wild fire your reputation is destroyed, you don't get into medical school, and you are forced to become a janitor.

Well this is how one scenario might play out.

btw, what kind of background checks do the medical board conduct when i am applying for a license?

would this show up on a fbi check? i mean even if it does...it shouldnt matter one bit since it had nothing to do with an arrest or conviction.

thanks

i am genuinely still afraid...even when I am committing absolutely NO dishonesty by answering No to both the criminal background and institutional action questions. I have an appointment with a counselor this coming Thursday...so that should help.

i just feel that medical schools will figure out a way to kick me out because they are self-righteous individuals...i dont know...

let me repeat: I've never been arrested, charged, or convicted of any infraction, violation, misdemeanor or felony. My criminal record is sparkly clean.

Also, my disciplinary record is clean also, and i've never received an institutional action. Both the student conduct dean and the prehealth adviser emphatically told me not to worry/no need to report/absolutely not need to mention this incident.

I think your paranoia stems from typical pre-med anxiety and preconceived notions about the self-righteousness of medical school administrator. I'm not saying that medical school administrators are living saints, but they are also not sitting there just waiting for somebody to mess up and they can blackball them herculean style.

You need to listen and TRUST your dean and pre-medical adviser on this. And give us the current medical students and residents some benefit of doubt too when we tell you that you need to stop worrying about this.

i am genuinely still afraid...even when I am committing absolutely NO dishonesty...

i just feel that medical schools will figure out a way to kick me out because they are self-righteous individuals...

Both the student conduct dean and the prehealth adviser emphatically told me not to worry/no need to report/absolutely not need to mention this incident.

SDN needs that :bang: smiley.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am genuinely still afraid...even when I am committing absolutely NO dishonesty by answering No to both the criminal background and institutional action questions. I have an appointment with a counselor this coming Thursday...so that should help.

i just feel that medical schools will figure out a way to kick me out because they are self-righteous individuals...i dont know...

let me repeat: I've never been arrested, charged, or convicted of any infraction, violation, misdemeanor or felony. My criminal record is sparkly clean.

Also, my disciplinary record is clean also, and i've never received an institutional action. Both the student conduct dean and the prehealth adviser emphatically told me not to worry/no need to report/absolutely not need to mention this incident.

:troll:

btw, what kind of background checks do the medical board conduct when i am applying for a license?

would this show up on a fbi check? i mean even if it does...it shouldnt matter one bit since it had nothing to do with an arrest or conviction.

thanks
:troll:

I made a recent post about the campus police searching my dorm for possible weapons after I turned in an assignment that had concerning content. Of course, I didn't have any weapons or other illegal substances, and nothing came out of the search. There was no arrest, citation, charges, or any negative institutional/disciplinary action. I know medical schools want to know all charges, convictions, and institutional actions (sometimes arrests), and obviously, this incident doesn't count as any of these.

I've even emailed both the premed adviser dean and the student conduct dean, and they all emphatically said I can confidently answer NO. The premed dean told me absolutely not to mention this incident, and the conduct dean confirmed that my record is absolutely clear. There's nothing on my transcript, and there's nothing on my disciplinary record, either.

So by all accounts, answering No to both questions is 100 percent honest and correct - i've never any institutional action for misconduct/violation, and I've never been arrested, cited, or charged with any infraction, civil violation, or criminal offense. But how come I still feel worried? I feel that if medical schools somehow find out that campus police searched my room, they are going to screw me over royally for not disclosing the search, even when I absolutely dont have to volunteer this piece of trivial and irrelevant information. I get a feeling that medical school DEMANDS to know EVERYTHING about you, and if they find out anything that you didn't tell them, they'll kick you out without question. Everyone told me that this fear is ludicrous/illogical, and that no one can hold a search that didn't lead to anything against me.

Please tell me I am worrying over absolutely NOTHING...I am paranoid and thinking about seeking some counseling. Also, will this search appear on ANY background checks, including the most detailed FBI checks? They campus police told me that they record all incidents just for record-keeping, but they dont release this search to any other outside agency. I mean ultimately, EVEN IF this search shows up on a check, medical schools shouldn't hold it against me because they didn't ask for anything other than charges and convictions and sometimes arrests.

Thank you so much.

your done bro...better practice flipping burgers...no way med schools will let this pass...

ABOVE: are you serious? please tell me your kidding.

So what shows up on a background check?

You. are not. going to get. any more useful replies. out of this thread.

NO it does not show up on an FBI background check. NO it will not show up on a third-party (Certiphi, etc.) background check. NO it will not be a big deal if your own higher-ups at your own college tell you it won't. NO you don't need to spazzing out over this. Why do you think people keep egging you on?

My goodness.

first of all: It sounds like you will have a clean record, DON'T WORRY!

And out of what I read, it sounds like you should go talk to someone you trust. Seek out a campus psychologist or an adult besides the dean. The dean and the pre-health person are usually busy helping people apply. You need someone that can help you work through the things that you are internalizing. Almost everyone has been through stressfull times-they will pass. The counseling service on campus is there to help. Lastly, I would suggest you don't read this forum for a little while...only a person that knows you can help you best.

And out of what I read, it sounds like you should go talk to someone you trust. Seek out a campus psychologist or an adult besides the dean.

+1.

OP, I don't mean to be crass, but this is probably your best approach. You've been reassured by everyone who matters that this is just going to go away, but if you can't help but be paranoid about it, you really ought to sit down and talk with someone who can help you iron things out.

I, for one, believe the OP is enjoying the attention.

I have to echo the person who advised that you seek psychological evaluation. Your posts seem a bit..unstable. And the last thing medical students need is another Craigslist Killer.

i am not enjoying the attention and i am not a *****. i just want to remain safe and not be perceived as lying....

i cant imagine how ANYONE can equate an informal search that led to nothing to an arrest, charge, or conviction. They are worlds apart.

i am not enjoying the attention and i am not a *****. i just want to remain safe and not be perceived as lying....

i cant imagine how ANYONE can equate an informal search that led to nothing to an arrest, charge, or conviction. They are worlds apart.

Then stop worrying about it. You don't need to post multiple threads about the same topic when EVERYONE is telling you it's not going to be an issue.

I dunno man, there are ways it could come up. I don't think you're out of the woods yet.

Trolls die off if you don't feed them for a week.

/Invisible Lock Thread from this point on. :D

Hey guys...I am also in a similar situation and need feedback. In 3rd grade I accidently talked back to my teacher and was given detention. I spent 1 hour extra after school. Will this kill my chances of getting into medical school? Would the schools even find out? and...if I do get accepted...is my chance at dermatology or any competitive residency pretty much over?...Will I be stuck with family practice?...Someone please answer my question...I understand what the OP is going through. Help me...

You may not be aware of this, but 'demerit' points and the like are kept hidden in a secret record that follows you throughout your educational career and into old age. If you read the AMCAS agreement carefully, you will notice that by filling out the application, you give them permission to send this record to any admissions committee that requests it. Ditto for residency directors. Even most jobs you apply for, when you fill out the background check - you guessed it - you give your prior educational institutions permission to release any information regarding 'demerit points', 'detentions', 'timeouts' or other 'infractions' you may have received.

You may not be aware of this, but 'demerit' points and the like are kept hidden in a secret record that follows you throughout your educational career and into old age. If you read the AMCAS agreement carefully, you will notice that by filling out the application, you give them permission to send this record to any admissions committee that requests it. Ditto for residency directors. Even most jobs you apply for, when you fill out the background check - you guessed it - you give your prior educational institutions permission to release any information regarding 'demerit points', 'detentions', 'timeouts' or other 'infractions' you may have received.

even timeouts...then I am truly screwed...according to my parents, I was given numerous timeouts as a 7 year old...I am gonna have to apply to only foreign medical schools

So WHAT does show up on a FBI background check?

Look, man, schools don't run an "FBI" background check when the accept you, nor do residency programs. Basically, for every place that you've lived, they run your name through that city/county/state database for arrests or other legal action, i.e. cases that have been adjudicated to completion. Please go talk to a mental health professional. Your paranoia is going to tear you to pieces; that is the problem, not the fact that the campus cops looked under your mattress for hidden long arms.

So WHAT does show up on a FBI background check?

I just noticed that your thread title includes "help me sleep at night, please." What exactly would do that which hasn't already been said?

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FBI OR ANY OTHER AGENCY. It's an internal matter with your institution which apparently isn't even recorded as anything approaching "institutional action" going by the powers that be who have repeatedly told you that all this worry is for naught.

Dude, I know it's a lousy position to be in, but if you're not going to listen to your own administration when they tell you that you're worrying over nothing, who are you going to listen to?

I just noticed that your thread title includes "help me sleep at night, please." What exactly would do that which hasn't already been said?

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FBI OR ANY OTHER AGENCY. It's an internal matter with your institution which apparently isn't even recorded as anything approaching "institutional action" going by the powers that be who have repeatedly told you that all this worry is for naught.

Dude, I know it's a lousy position to be in, but if you're not going to listen to your own administration when they tell you that you're worrying over nothing, who are you going to listen to?

He's either in need of psychiatric help or trolling. So since there's nothing more to be gained in this thread, I'm with adaption in letting this thread die.

He's either in need of psychiatric help or trolling. So since there's nothing more to be gained in this thread, I'm with adaption in letting this thread die.

Yeah. Mods, maybe it's lockdown time?

i mean....i shouldnt have anything to worry about...EVEN IF med schools somehow find out about the informal search.

I mean...a search is not even close to an arrest/charge/conviction....and med schools only ask for convictions...

i mean....i shouldnt have anything to worry about...EVEN IF med schools somehow find out about the informal search.

I mean...a search is not even close to an arrest/charge/conviction....and med schools only ask for convictions...

At this point, a background check is the least of your worries to getting accepted.

I can totally identify with how paranoid you are.. I sort of feel like you sometimes.. I actually went to my doc about it because I felt like if I didn't get treated for my anxiety before I started med school I'd have a rough time coping with the stress of learning so much information.

Just so you know, the AAMC background check is pretty plain and simple... it checks your records at the county, state, and federal level... and it checks to see if you're a sex offender (so check that tonight and if you don't find your name you're off to a good start).

You need to take a breath and realize that med school admission committees aren't ruthless monsters. If this ever came up (which I'm like 100% sure it wouldn't) they'd listen to your story and then drop it. They understand even future doctors are human and goof up sometimes.

You've confirmed it with your dean, your pre-health advisor, now I think you can drop it. And if you're still having problems accepting that you're gonna be okay, go to your dean and ask him for a letter showing you're in good standing with the university... pin it to the wall above your computer... and when you start to freak out read the letter.

Methinks self-harm. Some things you're just really not supposed to say in your english comp class; that is one of them. Or the cops will show up, making you excessively neurotic about your future prospects, casting you further into the despair of which you wrote in comp class. It's a little ironic, actually.

I laughed for at least five minutes. Thanks, Pons.

How would they find out? They'd have to actually pay a private investigator to go to your undergrad and (if anyone even remembers the incident by then) question people... Thats ridiculous... Plus their effort would be in vein when they found out nothing ever came of it. Their time would be much more worth it if they spent it finding applicants who actually lied about not having a conviction when there is really one on their background check (which is what certiphi is doing). I think bringing this up to a school would make you look sketchy as heck if anything.

This kid reminds me of the paranoid guy from "Dead Man on Campus".
hahaha, get out Troll! :laugh:

hey guys

I am a junior in college right now, and I have received a disciplinary/institutional action. Below is my explanation. it is very minor, and you will probably laugh.

Due to stress and a relationship problem at the end of sophomore year, I wrote a few concerning remarks about a female student on my Facebook page. No inappropriate/unlawful interactions between us ever took place, but as both a precaution and a way to help me properly handle my stress, a dean prohibited further contact with the student and instructed me to seek continual counseling – violation of either would result in institutional/disciplinary action. For an entire year, I strictly adhered to this request. At the end of junior year, I missed a counseling appointment and didn’t reschedule immediately. Consequently, I was found responsible for “failure to comply” with a university directive. I took full responsibilities for my careless mistake. I should have taken greater care to attend every counseling session and immediately reschedule after failing to attend an appointment.

I was given a disciplinary probation as a result of this violation, and I took extra efforts to ensure prompt attendance to all subsequent counseling appointments. I have benefitted tremendously from the counseling experience, and I was able to work through my problems and better focus on my coursework. I have no other disciplinary violation.

Okay, several questions. 1. This isn't a big deal at all right? I mean, it has nothing to do with academic dishonesty, drugs, drinking, or other problematic behavior. I missed a counseling session and didn't reschedule immediately. That's the offense.

And second, when applying to residencies and beyond, will ANY college/undergrad disciplinary record matter at all? I understand that residency programs ask for medical school disciplinary records, but are they going to completely ignore undergrad records the same way that medical schools ignore high school records? I dont want this college institutional action to affect me throughout life. Sure, it might be a minor bump to get into med school, but once i get in, this event shouldn't matter at all any more, right?

Thanks.

I'd reword it a bit to make it as dry and straightforward as possible (no mention of stress, relationship, female student etc.). I'm not on an adcom though say take this with a grain of salt...
I just think it would be better to explain the offence, and nothing more.

thanks for the response.

do u have any idea about the second part? whether residencies/beyond care AT ALL about anything that happened in college? I dont have a criminal record, and the the only thing i have is this disciplinary probation in undergrad. thanks again.

hey guys

I am a junior in college right now, and I have received a disciplinary/institutional action. Below is my explanation. it is very minor, and you will probably laugh.

Due to stress and a relationship problem at the end of sophomore year, I wrote a few concerning remarks about a female student on my Facebook page. No inappropriate/unlawful interactions between us ever took place, but as both a precaution and a way to help me properly handle my stress, a dean prohibited further contact with the student and instructed me to seek continual counseling – violation of either would result in institutional/disciplinary action. For an entire year, I strictly adhered to this request. At the end of junior year, I missed a counseling appointment and didn’t reschedule immediately. Consequently, I was found responsible for “failure to comply” with a university directive. I took full responsibilities for my careless mistake. I should have taken greater care to attend every counseling session and immediately reschedule after failing to attend an appointment.

I was given a disciplinary probation as a result of this violation, and I took extra efforts to ensure prompt attendance to all subsequent counseling appointments. I have benefitted tremendously from the counseling experience, and I was able to work through my problems and better focus on my coursework. I have no other disciplinary violation.

Okay, several questions. 1. This isn't a big deal at all right? I mean, it has nothing to do with academic dishonesty, drugs, drinking, or other problematic behavior. I missed a counseling session and didn't reschedule immediately. That's the offense.

And second, when applying to residencies and beyond, will ANY college/undergrad disciplinary record matter at all? I understand that residency programs ask for medical school disciplinary records, but are they going to completely ignore undergrad records the same way that medical schools ignore high school records? I dont want this college institutional action to affect me throughout life. Sure, it might be a minor bump to get into med school, but once i get in, this event shouldn't matter at all any more, right?

Thanks.

PS: I posted this on the premed forums but only got one response. Please address BOTH parts of the question. Thanks alot!

Can you remove the probation from your records?

Senior year I was caught on the roof of my dorm with some beer. Conditional probation, removed eventually, no effect on my life.