Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

HELP: is there a light at the tunnel for me???????????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wonderguy2, Jun 24, 2002.

1. wonderguy2

wonderguy2 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi people. I want to post this again since i didn't get many responses.

Here's my background. I am not a URM.
    my undergrad record has no consistent upward trend with a bunch of C's, 2D's, and about 8 A's and B's
    a. overall undergrad gpa =2.75
    b. undergrad science =2.48

after being sentenced for 3 years, here is the post-undergrad marks.

graduate degree with the following grades. (ucla)
    fall A+, A, A+
    winter A, A, A- ,A-
    Spring A+, A, A-

took an extra 16 hard-core post-bac upper division/graduate science classes. (ucla) Here are my grades:
    summer A, A, A
    fall B+, B, A, A, A
    winter A , A, A, A
    spring A, A, A, A
    postbac gpa=3.88

Took this april mcat: Here are the scores.
    Verbal: 13-15
    Physical 13
    Bio 14

I submitted the application a week ago. this is my first time applying to medical school. basically,
    what do you guys think of my chances at big name schools like UCSD, UCSF, and UCLA?

thanks!

2. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Welcome to SDN! :) Nice MCAT and graduate GPA!! There is some hope for you at big name schools, but the process is very random, so don't get your heart set on those top CA schools and neglect to apply to other lower tier schools. You should apply to LOTS ( at least 15-20, and I would go with the higher number) of schools, including lower and unranked schools. It probably will depend on your LOR's, EC's and essays, and, if you get interviews, on your interviewing skills. I think you will get in somewhere if the rest of your app is strong. It would be nice to know where you're from (state and school). CA is super competitive. What do you mean by "being sentenced"? :confused: That could change everything.

Btw, you don't need to start a new thread just because you didn't get answers fast enough. Just post something else in the first thread to bring it back up to the top again.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i generally agree with SMW.

and i'm hoping that the whole "sentencing" part was a metaphor.

your undergraduate GPA will hurt you but it's in the past and you can't change it right?

so apply to a wide range... i'm not as confident about the "big name" schools but definitely don't rule anything out!!

4. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think the phrase "I've gotten my act together" is an understatement, given your success at post-bacc, graduate level, AND MCAT -- it ain't no fluke!

I actualy don't think any medical school would be so unwise not to at least interview you. Sure you can say stuff about your situation in undergrad (hatever that might be), but I'd think they'd really discount a lot of that when seeing how well you've done academically recently. I have a hunch that your LORs will all be saying the same thing.

Best of luck,

Jason

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

I think UCSF will love you. You have that non-traditional thing going on. As long as you have a very strong personal statement and a balanced application, I think you'll have an excellent shot. Whatever happened between undergrad and grad/post-bac? Be prepared to discuss that time period at length during your interviews. I kind of had a similar time line to yours (but didn't have that awesome mcat). I goofed around for a few years, dropped out, and then reentered school where I kicked ass. They really wanted to know what I did during that time in between dropping out and reentering. My interviews almost always seemed to focus around that time period. You'll definitely stand out. Plus, it seems UCSF likes em' a bit older (in most cases). I wish you the best of luck, but always keep in mind that the process is random and is very difficult to understand (most times).

6. wonderguy2

wonderguy2 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Souljah1, what was your gpa if you don't mind?

ok, if i do get interviews, and they ask me why my undergrad was so bad. what should i say?

honestly, i did not know how to study and did not prioritize my life, that's why i did bad. but is that really a good reason to say at interviews?

7. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

hey wonderguy,
    i'm kind of in the same boat as you (meaning my undergrad gpa isn't so hot but would like to go to medschool). did you take your classes at ucla (under extension or through a program at ucla?? ucla has something like this for science people?) what exactly did you do between your undergrad and postbac years? what sorts of ec's did you do also?

i too am from ucla and would like to look into ways where i can "redeem" myself.

anything that would help! please PM me!!

thanks!

8. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by wonderguy2:
    <strong>Hey Souljah1, what was your gpa if you don't mind?

ok, if i do get interviews, and they ask me why my undergrad was so bad. what should i say?

honestly, i did not know how to study and did not prioritize my life, that's why i did bad. but is that really a good reason to say at interviews?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sure! There's nothing wrong with being honest--you were immature then, you're mature now (obviously). End of story. You can even make a joke about it. That's what I did in interviews, and I was received quite well. You've kickd some serious tail in the past couple of years, so you'll get into med school. I don't know much about Cali though. Did you apply only to Cali schools?

walloobi likes this.
  9. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by wonderguy2:
    <strong>Hey Souljah1, what was your gpa if you don't mind?

honestly, i did not know how to study and did not prioritize my life, that's why i did bad. but is that really a good reason to say at interviews?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wonderboy,

I had a 2.54 after two years of community college. I dropped out for awhile and then reentered school at City College of San Francisco and took all of my premed classes, as well as physiology and some other courses that were requirements for my intended major. My gpa at CCSF was 3.98. I transferred to Berkeley and graduated with a Berkeley gpa of 3.85.

On interviews honesty is very important. If you can speak about how much you have grown as a person it will only help you. If you try to make some silly excuse the interviewer may see you as someone who has too much pride or as one who is in denial. I spoke about my childhood and teenage years, which partially explained why my performance was so atrocious during my first two years of college. I spoke about my priorities and how they were not centered around studying. Then I spent a great deal of time discussing the period of time when I wasn't in school. I actually think it helped me in a way. When the whole situation was explained, most interviewers realized that I just needed to get out and experience life outside of school. After doing that, I was able to crystallize some of my goals, one of which was to go into medicine. No interviewer ever got down on me b/c of my first two years of college. Some said is was terrible :oops: , but then went on to say that since my reentry I have done exceptionally well.

My advice. Be honest. It is also very important to be comfortable when you discuss previous shortcomings b/c it shows them that although you are not afraid to fail nor are you afraid to talk about your failures. Keep it real and you will be fine. I truly think that stories like this can only help you once you are asked to interview. Once you get the interview I think you will be good to go.