HELP! I've been dismissed from Med School :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyclingpassion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

At the end of my 2nd year of med school, I had to take a year off to attend to some family matters. During this time I did not adequately prepare for Step 1 and did not take the test within the time frame allotted to me by the school. I was subsequently dismissed from my program :( and my chances of challenging and reversing their decision is basically zero:cry:

I still very much want to be a physician and I've been searching about the possibility of attending another program in the US. I found out some schools will not accept students into their program if that student had been dismissed from another program. Is this the general trend? Would that mean my only option is to apply to the programs on the islands?

Please help. I'm devastated and just trying to get a grip of the entire situation.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

While I don't know the full circumstances of your dismissal, I would open up a dialog with your original institution. They are likely your best chance of practicing in the US. If your dismissal was purely academic, it wouldn't hurt to find out what circumstances they'd need you to fulfill in order to reapply... could you repeat your 2nd year? Could you take another crack at Step I?

Talk to them before exploring the carib.

Are you sure you can't appeal the decision? Some people win their appeals.

Also, there's someone on the DO forum who was dismissed from a DO school and managed to get into another one and get some pretty decent interviews at other DO schools. I'd go DO before Caribbean so that's something to look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the quick replies. My situation is this: I was given many chances to take the Step 1 but I kept on delaying it one after another. The academic review committee and I agreed on a final date for me to come back into the program, but I still did not take the test. So they decided to dismiss me. I talked to the dean of student affairs and he seems to reinforce the idea that they're not likely to take me back. I've even told them I was considering Caribbean medical schools. So I only have myself to blame.

In all honesty, I don't want to reapply at my school. I feel that all the attendings know about my situation and I'd get picked on when I rotate through their department. So I try to avoid that even if it means going to the Caribbean. I just hate getting picked on.

I did some research on this forum and found that basically my best option is to reapply to my program (which I don't want to), or go to the Caribbean, which I don't mind.

I sincerely want to be a family/internal med physician. Do you guys know if the Caribbean schools will accept me as a 3rd year student or would I have to repeat 1st and 2nd year.

Thank you

Are you sure you can't appeal the decision? Some people win their appeals.

Also, there's someone on the DO forum who was dismissed from a DO school and managed to get into another one and get some pretty decent interviews at other DO schools. I'd go DO before Caribbean so that's something to look into.

I just don't want to go through 1st and 2nd year again.

well, I suspect US MD and DO schools would be unlikely to accept you as an advanced standing student if your original institution is unwilling to re-admit you.

I would expect that the Carib is always willing to take your money, but I don't know if they'd make you start fresh. This is something you'll need to explore before applying.

Frankly, your attitude is concerning. You were dismissed after being given multiple opportunities to take an exam you knew you needed to take and rather than exploring your most viable option for readmission, you're opting to run away from your problems rather than face the imagined social stigma of being "picked on".

Very sorry to hear about your situation. I realize Depakote already said this but personally I would literally try everything in my power to get back in.
By avoiding the situation you will probably waste more time and money than you could by confronting it. I understand your discomfort with staying at your current school but I think that starting off as a first year Carrib student all over again (with the costs associated) is a MUCH worse scenario for you in the long run.

So my advice is to go talk to your dean and show how dedicated you are to being a doctor.
You stated that he didn't express much enthusiasm at giving you another shot but frankly (I realize I don't know you or your situation well enough) based on what you've said you haven't shown any motivation or desire to get back in. Maybe some will call me pushy or whatever but as I said, I would meet with the dean again, and I would sincerely show that this is the one thing in the world I want most, and I would agree to do anything that the school asks me to do (repeat the year, take a year off and reapply etc...).

You are probably still in shock and lacking the perspective but if you really want to be a physician so badly (and sooner rather than later), explore the options at your school first. Lastly, who cares if an attending makes fun of you about this. Is the fear of someone mocking you really enough to persuade you to run to the Islands and perhaps have to start from scratch???

In all honesty, I don't want to reapply at my school. I feel that all the attendings know about my situation and I'd get picked on when I rotate through their department. So I try to avoid that even if it means going to the Caribbean. I just hate getting picked on.

Thank you

If you did get readmitted, you would be picked on because you are a 3rd year student and not because you had problems in the past.

I hate to say this but it sounds like if you got back in, you would be posting back here in 1 year about how badly you are being treated on wards and howmuch you feel like quitting. I think you need to explore these emotion and fix that before you re-enter med school if given another shot.

well, I suspect US MD and DO schools would be unlikely to accept you as an advanced standing student if your original institution is unwilling to re-admit you.

I would expect that the Carib is always willing to take your money, but I don't know if they'd make you start fresh. This is something you'll need to explore before applying.

Frankly, your attitude is concerning. You were dismissed after being given multiple opportunities to take an exam you knew you needed to take and rather than exploring your most viable option for readmission, you're opting to run away from your problems rather than face the imagined social stigma of being "picked on".

Agreed.

Yeah Im in concordance with the other posters. Your school has likely invested a lot of time/money into your education and I think you should put your chin up and speak with your institution.

I've had the chance to do a lot of interacting with admin committees and I'd venture to say they'll listen, if you lay your cards out and honestly tell them you're ready to fix your mistake.

And the issue of being 'picked on' is not a primary (secondary or tertiary) concern. MD is your dream and social obstacles should not stand in your way. If anything, it's motivation for you to really get out there and turn some heads with hard work.

At this point, the only way you're going is up --> be optimistic, push aside your personal quandaries, and let your school administration see the new you.

Just a thought: considering that your situation centered around taking step 1 do you think you might be in a better position to beg your way back into the school if you'd successfully taken the test? If so, and your practice tests show passing scores, I'd say you should take the exam in the next week or two and THEN talk to the dean to show that you're ready to work.

As for your rotations, I wouldn't worry about it. Your attendings won't have any idea who you are even after you've rotated there for 8 weeks. They definitely don't have the time or inclination to talk about you behind your back.

BTW the Caribbean has an extremely high fail out rate and a very low match rate which is about to get alot lower as new medical schools flood the market. That, plus the fact that you already have a pretty big blemish on your record from being dismissed, means that if you go to the islands there's a better than average chance that you won't end up a practicing physician.

Last edited:
Guys,

At the end of my 2nd year of med school, I had to take a year off to attend to some family matters. During this time I did not adequately prepare for Step 1 and did not take the test within the time frame allotted to me by the school. I was subsequently dismissed from my program :( and my chances of challenging and reversing their decision is basically zero:cry:

I still very much want to be a physician and I've been searching about the possibility of attending another program in the US. I found out some schools will not accept students into their program if that student had been dismissed from another program. Is this the general trend? Would that mean my only option is to apply to the programs on the islands?

Please help. I'm devastated and just trying to get a grip of the entire situation.

Thanks guys

Do you go to Harvard Medical school by any chance?

It sounds like your school gave you plenty of chances and I agree with them. I would not take you back either.

Should have taken the test......on one of those multiple requests.

I think you need to find out why you were so reluctant to take the test before you even think about trying to go back.

With that said, I would think long and hard before going the island route. I would see what DO schools have to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought: considering that your situation centered around taking step 1 do you think you might be in a better position to beg your way back into the school if you'd successfully taken the test? If so, and your practice tests show passing scores, I'd say you should take the exam in the next week or two and THEN talk to the dean to show that you're ready to work.

You need a medical school to verify your status before being able to register for and take step 1. So, this thought is not viable. However, practice test scores to let the school know that you're serious, that might work.

Guys, thanks for all your replies. I know there's a lack of responsibilities on my part toward my career path. I had to chose between school or family and I chose family instead. At one point I had given up hope of returning to school because my family was facing foreclosure and I decided to work to make sure we had a roof over our head. I was working 2 jobs and tried to study whenever I could, but you'll agree that type of study schedule is not adequate. That's why I had to delay taking the test time and again. Although it seemed I wasn't motivated to come back to school, every hour I worked brought me closer to a feeble financial goal that would help my family and also during my time going back to school.

The reason I'm afraid of getting picked on is because I get really anxious when that happens and I would forget the information I have learned, and that makes it worst. I just feel like a deer in the headlight and I hate that feeling. My classmates told me to take it lightly, they say "don't let it get to you, don't take it personally" but I can't do it. I take things personally and tend to blame myself. Is there anyone on this forum that can relate to this and how did you overcome that? I think this is the main reason why I hesitate to petition to come back to my program. I don't want attendings or other students to take advantage of my past and my personality.

Guys, thanks for all your replies. I know there's a lack of responsibilities on my part toward my career path. I had to chose between school or family and I chose family instead. At one point I had given up hope of returning to school because my family was facing foreclosure and I decided to work to make sure we had a roof over our head. I was working 2 jobs and tried to study whenever I could, but you'll agree that type of study schedule is not adequate. That's why I had to delay taking the test time and again. Although it seemed I wasn't motivated to come back to school, every hour I worked brought me closer to a feeble financial goal that would help my family and also during my time going back to school.

The reason I'm afraid of getting picked on is because I get really anxious when that happens and I would forget the information I have learned, and that makes it worst. I just feel like a deer in the headlight and I hate that feeling. My classmates told me to take it lightly, they say "don't let it get to you, don't take it personally" but I can't do it. I take things personally and tend to blame myself. Is there anyone on this forum that can relate to this and how did you overcome that? I think this is the main reason why I hesitate to petition to come back to my program. I don't want attendings or other students to take advantage of my past and my personality.

:confused: They wont care.

Again, did you go to Harvard Medical school by any chance?

I have a funny story to tell you (something about your professors).

Sounds like you had a tough situation. Go speak with your dean and show him that you had it tough but tat now you're back and you're ready for it. Going to the carrib because of some fear of humiliation in clinical years is really a very bad decision, one that I think you may regret very dearly down the line. Fight to stay at your school and let us know how it goes, Good luck!

What if your fears of getting picked on don't materialize, what if it's just an irrational fear. Besides, even if you get teased, after a few days it'll get old and it'll subside. You can also find something to tease them about, but assuming they know ur family situation I doubt that they'll find it funny... Lastly, teasing is almost always intended to get a rise out of someone therefore if you just brush/laugh it off, it STOPS (that's the kryptonite for teasing)!!

You gotta make the best of out your circumstances, at this point you can't afford to arbitrarily close doors, you need to explore every possible possibility including readmission into ur medical school. They admitted and invested in you and I think you'll have more sympathy there. By all means pursue other options (Carib, DO, other MDs) but don't delude urself into thinking that such pursuits and trying to get readmitted are mutually exclusive. Try all of them.

Think about the larger picture, if you get readmitted, in 2 yrs u'll be off to residency and you can move anywhere u "want"/match into. Also a few years later, you'll be a great position to support yourself and ur family and make all ur sacrifices and troubles worthwhile. I'm willing to bet that u'll also look back and laugh off, as silly, the fears you currently have of getting teased...

Big picture, my friend, big picture....

Best of luck!

Last edited:
that is bull man, MD schools are run by ******s who think too highly of themselves and the title MD.

I really think you should sue them. They cannot kick you out if you have a family emergency. Just provide legit proof that the illness of whoever it was, actually got worse etc.

please consider talking to a lawyer.

that is bull man, MD schools are run by ******s who think too highly of themselves and the title MD.

I really think you should sue them. They cannot kick you out if you have a family emergency. Just provide legit proof that the illness of whoever it was, actually got worse etc.

Did you actually read the OP, or any of his subsequent posts?

MD schools are run by ******s who think too highly of themselves and the title MD.

I really think you should sue them.

So you ventured out of your optometry forums to come make a statement like that? Dude, get outta here. The ridiculousness of your post is beyond friggin' comprehension.

They didn't.

For the OP - I think you had your chance, and you blew it.

So you ventured out of your optometry forums to come make a statement like that? Dude, get outta here. The ridiculousness of your post is beyond friggin' comprehension.

lol

Honestly the fantasy that any of us will make it through medschool and residency without being teased is hysterical and kind of sad if you believe that. Heck I was teased by a scrub tech this year and had to take it and smile. You clearly have your own emotional issues that have lead you to this point, where you didn't follow thru on numerous extensions and offers from your school and where you refuse to face a the discomfort of being at the bottom of the totem pole that everyone else goes through. Before you venture into the "how can I get back in" phase I think these issues need to be addressed or you will end up right back here the next time.

while I empathize with your situation, I think the fear of not going back to your school for the fear of getting picked on is misguided for a number of reasons:

1) Practically every new 3rd year i've talked to has said they felt like a deer in the head lights. It wouldn't matter if you had a perfect situation going in to 3rd year, it is initially going to be a slap in the face (maybe not that severe but you get the point).

2) If you can't take people not being nice to you or giving you a hard time, frankly you have no business being in medicine in the first place. Again, given you had a perfect situation going into 3rd year, you think a sick patient is going to be cheery to see an inexperienced medical student come in to poke and prod at them for awhile in the face of their obviously stressful situation?

3) even if you do get picked on, it's 2 more years in exchange for a career for the rest of your life. If your family situation is as hard as you make it out to be, getting teased by people you won't have to deal with in 2 years seems like a piece of cake.

sorry to come off harsh, but i've gone through bad family experiences. It sucks but you can't let it dictate what you do with your life. Going to the carib would be a huge huge mistake IMO. Beg your way back into your old school through whatever means necessary.

Again, I think your best chance of your being a doctor is convincing your dean to take you back and the best chance of that happening is to show that you have resolved all of your previous issues. To me that means that you have a passing NBME practice test score and also that you can show them that you're done rushing off to help your family.

Also, I agree with previous posters that you shouldn't worry about being singled out. First: the physicians at your school are the older verions of the gunners in your class. They don't gossip about students or really even talk to eachother at all because none of them can stand one another. Also, of course, you'll mainly be working with residents, who care even less than the attendings do. Your main problem in rotations will be getting anyone to remember your name, not being singled out.

If you are at HMS, there are ways they will work with you and they're much more liberal about some student affairs issues like these (although it looks like you've already explored some of them). There is someone I know who failed the USMLE several times, and he was still able to complete successfully. He was subsequently diagnosed with some sort of learning disability (which I definitely witnessed personally - his spelling is atrocious for example). It is unlikely you will match at your home program, but there will be options open to you. Licensure may be complicated because you will be required to explain your absences every time you get credentialed or licensed. I think you could adopt a "medical" standpoint, and work extensively with a psychologist. It sounds like you need some extensive insight-oriented psychotherapy, and together, you can come up with a detailed, structured plan to present to your medical school to proceed. In the interim, you will also have to do something productive, preferably with a research or community focus, and show them this passion and zeal. Basically, you need to completely disavow your past (and truly believe this) for you to succeed and get back in.

There are so many professors and attendings at any medical school that you will easily be able to escape the scarlet letter. The problem / "shame" is all in your head: again, a psychologist will help you sort these issues out. Trust me, no one cares about your life more than you do. As another analogy, when you make a fool of yourself drinking, the only person who feels guilty/bad about it and will really remember it a week later is you... no one else.

Otherwise, yes, your only other options are Caribbean schools. I would look into the schools people transfer INTO after they failed out of other Caribbean institutions, such as the one on the Cayman Islands (I forgot the name of it).

I agree with the recs to talk to a psychologist; especially if self-defeating behavior has been a problem before.

Are you an under-represented minority? If so, perhaps there is someone in your med-school's admin in charge of minority affairs you could talk to.

They didn't.

For the OP - I think you had your chance, and you blew it.

Agree..

1)Claiming family problems ( Im not discounting them)

2)Getting "cold feet" and feeling astronomical pressure to even take step 1..

3)And freaking out over the prospect of doing "grilling rounds" while on rotations..

All of the above are only ONE battle in the medical school war...

Speaking to a psychiatrist and venting may not be a bad idea..

I like making snap judgments based on partial information, so it may be best to cut your losses and try a different life path.

I like making snap judgments based on partial information, so it may be best to cut your losses and try a different life path.

Yeah, I was wondering if I was the only one who thought it would be best to cut losses and find something else to do?

I know everyone will jump down my throat and cry about him "giving up on his dream"!!! Seriously, OP gave up on his dream long before this. Might as well accept it and start living his life.

Heck, go ahead and beg your school to let you back in. Maybe they will. I would not go Carrib. If you can't get back into your old school, or if you don't want to even try, then go find a job and make a new life for yourself.

The first thing you need to address is why didn't you take step 1? You better have a damn good explanation for this, and no, not feeling prepared is not acceptable. From the school's perspective, they worked with you and gave you several extensions, and you just refused to take it. How long are they supposed to wait? You have to pass that test before advancing to third year, period.

You need to get someone on your side, a dean, a professor, a student advisor...someone. That person needs to advocate for you and vouch for you to the administration. You need to have a plan for how you can get back into good standing ready to present to the administration. It should include passing step I ASAP and then making up whatever coursework you've missed.

The Carib schools or reapplication are options, but not good ones. The best thing you can do is get reinstated to your current school. I would exhaust every possible avenue to make that happen. If all else fails I would find a good lawyer and see if there is any legal way to finagle readmission. Any alternative path is probably going to involve you retaking the first 2 years and thus wasting a ton of time and money on the first 2 years you already took. Moreover, what school is going to waste an admission slot on someone who is unwilling to take the steps?

well if its true that you literally had to work or your family would be homeless, then i think what really happened is you must not have made the administration understand the issues well enough. You shouldn't have led them on thinking you would take the test if you almost physically couldnt.

Out of curiosity, what were your grades like for the 1st 2 years? That saying -we have nothing to fear but fear itself...comes to mind. If you had taken the boards and failed you would be in a better position than you are now.

Hope things turn around for the better. I know of a few students who didn't make it through medical school. Some of them went into PA school, others went into business, and the smart ones went into dentistry. Pharmacy school is also a great option for people interested in the health sciences.

I advise you to talk to your school first. If that doesn't work then you could try transferring to another school. "Dismissal" doesn't look good for any transfer be it within the US or in the Carribean.

Transferring to a Carribean school wouldn't solve the problem. They won't make you retake classes you already passed but they too have deadlines for step exams. I am a carribean medical student, and I tell you one thing I learned from my experience: if anything they make us work harder than US medical students...and the expectations are way higher than the ones set for US graduates...In my school if you don't report your step score within 12 months you get dismissed.

Best of luck...you can call and double check again with schools of your interest. But don't think that Carribean schools will cut you a slack.

I advise you to talk to your school first. If that doesn't work then you could try transferring to another school. "Dismissal" doesn't look good for any transfer be it within the US or in the Carribean.

Transferring to a Carribean school wouldn't solve the problem. They won't make you retake classes you already passed but they too have deadlines for step exams. I am a carribean medical student, and I tell you one thing I learned from my experience: if anything they make us work harder than US medical students...and the expectations are way higher than the ones set for US graduates...In my school if you don't report your step score within 12 months you get dismissed.

Best of luck...you can call and double check again with schools of your interest. But don't think that Carribean schools will cut you a slack.

You've attended both US and Carribean med schools?

;)

I am a carribean medical student, and I tell you one thing I learned from my experience: if anything they make us work harder than US medical students...and the expectations are way higher than the ones set for US graduates...

say whaaaat

I would have to agree that many US MD schools pamper their students. I know our school does it. I sympathize Carib and DO students for what they have to go through.

I think this is really uncalled for to be honest, if hes made it to year 2, and went out to help his family, he has proven that hes capable of handling medical school, and going to help his family, however little credit most of you cold-hearted people here give him for that (this is not directed at the quote alone but alot of the posts trashing him with little logic behind it).

The fact is if you made it this far, your most likely more than capable, i dont see any good reason for giving up then.

As others have said i honestly doubt that anyone would pick on you, as just about all students are but a miniscule piece of a large puzzle and people in general dont care or remember people for this long, let alone want to pick on them. I think you should definitely question whether this is not a fear that is worth overcoming, since you took up 2 jobs at once this should be most doable.

However i can relate to it when you state you fear that it might takes off your focus if you have to battle bullying at the same time, i sympathize with that, but i think your outlook is extremely pessimistic to think peers would do that to you, if anyone knows about your situation they will more likely sympathize with you, if they dont know your situation they wont care.

So yeah go for your dream and best of luck to you!

I would have to agree that many US MD schools pamper their students. I know our school does it. I sympathize Carib and DO students for what they have to go through.

Can you explain this a little more please? I know that in the Carib it's sink or swim, but how do US MD schools differ from US DO schools in pampering their students?

say whaaaat

I've always heard Caribbean schools are harder. That's the system: they take everyone and then fail almost everyone out, even people who probably would have made it though a US school. I don't think there is any way to fail out of my school other than to fail the Step multiple times.

I am a carribean medical student, and I tell you one thing I learned from my experience: if anything they make us work harder than US medical students...and the expectations are way higher than the ones set for US graduates...In my school if you don't report your step score within 12 months you get dismissed.

This is obviously why Carrib. schools have much higher Step 1 scores than US schools! I mean just look at a quote from this article http://www.studentdoctor.net/2009/07/caribbean-medical-schools-a-good-option/ on the passing rates of Carrib schools:

"Investigators calculated the average USMLE Step 1 first time pass rate for each country in the Caribbean. In evaluating this data they also took into account that some islands have more than one medical school. The countries with the highest percentage of students passing the (USMLE) Step 1 on the first attempt were Grenada (84.4 %) and Dominica (69.7%). Countries with the lowest pass rates were Saint Lucia (19.4%) and Antigua/Barbuda (22.9%)."

Personally, I can only hope my cushy US school can muster a passing rate somewhere between the Dominica and Saint Lucia numbers. I'm sure that would make my Profs so happy. :thumbup:

I'm confused. That doesn't say anything about the actual board scores. It mentions USMLE pass rates. Also, keep in mind that the 84.4% there is not the same as most US MD schools. Caribbean classes are MUCH larger. Either way, what school in the US consistently has 15% of their class not pass step 1 on the first try?