Help, just bombed an NBME for step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thebestofus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in a lot of distress. :scared:

I started studying for step 2ck about a month ago. In that time I've read MTB2 cover to cover and did a first time pass subject/timed tutor mode on UWORLD with a final percentage at 62. I recently started my second pass and did 5 timed random blocks average is 85% so far

Did well on step 1...

I did not study at all during my 3rd year (i know that was probably stupid). So anyways, having had a first pass on my main source materials, I figured it would be a good time to take an NBME assessment. I took form 2 and well...I bombed it..not like 210 bombed it...like 186 bombed it :scared:. I don't know why or what happened, I thought I knew the concepts in UWORLD and MTB pretty well. I didn't feel like I was answering THAT many things wrong. My exam is in 1 month. I have dedicated time off to study for it. I'm not sure what to do now, the score report says OB/GYN and peds were my worst subjects (i had negative stars on them). Everything else was in the borderline area.

Should I continue my second pass on uworld and 2nd pass on mtb2? I was planing on doing MTB3 for non IM things. But I mean a 186 after a first pass is saying that I am missing major knowledge or lack good clinical judgement.

What to do? I almost want to just postponee the exam another month. HELP

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds kinda fluky to me. a 63% on USMLEworld translates to ~226 on medfriends. Are you learning concepts or just memorizing questions? I know the second time through USMLEworld I always had a hard time because I often knew which was the right answer just from seeing the question. Make sure you are forcing yourself to explain the reasoning behind the answer. Make sure you take notes on the explanations to answers you get wrong as well as get right and then review them nightly.

For now I would suggest taking another practice test. If it is still low I would consider postponing to figure out what is really going on. I have a feeling you will find that you do well and that this is a lot to do about nothing.

Survivor DO

Sounds kinda fluky to me. a 63% on USMLEworld translates to ~226 on medfriends. Are you learning concepts or just memorizing questions? I know the second time through USMLEworld I always had a hard time because I often knew which was the right answer just from seeing the question. Make sure you are forcing yourself to explain the reasoning behind the answer. Make sure you take notes on the explanations to answers you get wrong as well as get right and then review them nightly.

For now I would suggest taking another practice test. If it is still low I would consider postponing to figure out what is really going on. I have a feeling you will find that you do well and that this is a lot to do about nothing.

Survivor DO

Thanks for the response. 115 views and only one response lol. Anyways, my plan for now is to study a week (focus on OBGYN and PEDS which were the weakest subjects) and then take another nbme and see where it lands. I'm hoping it was a complete fluke. Please god let it be a fluke.

Thanks for the response. 115 views and only one response lol. Anyways, my plan for now is to study a week (focus on OBGYN and PEDS which were the weakest subjects) and then take another nbme and see where it lands. I'm hoping it was a complete fluke. Please god let it be a fluke.

I had a similar experience with NBME 2 and 3 (although I scored around 240 in both, but was v disappointed with this). NBME 4 and UWSA are definitely most reflective of the exam and most accurate predictors. Cover your weaknesses, take NBME 4. Then delve further into your weak areas and take UWSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar experience with NBME 2 and 3 (although I scored around 240 in both, but was v disappointed with this). NBME 4 and UWSA are definitely most reflective of the exam and most accurate predictors. Cover your weaknesses, take NBME 4. Then delve further into your weak areas and take UWSA.

I mean... a 240 is not the same as a 186. So I don't know how you think we have a similar experience but sure. I'm just surprised that a 245 scorer on step 1 is now a 186 scorer apparently.

I mean... a 240 is not the same as a 186. So I don't know how you think we have a similar experience but sure. I'm just surprised that a 245 scorer on step 1 is now a 186 scorer apparently.

This may sound harsh, but the first problem is that you seem to be resting on your Step 1 laurels. A good Step 1 score doesn't always translate into a good Step 2 score.

Secondly, you need to drop the defeatist attitude. Tips from strangers on internet forums will only get you so far. You can choose to get caught up in this defeatist attitude due to your 186, or you can dust yourself off and strive forward.

You need to sit down and ask yourself questions - what was the reason for this failing? Has your attitude been positive? Did you put the necessary dedication and enthusiasm into your work?

Bottom line - if you want to replicate the 245 you got in Step 1, you're nowhere near ready for this exam. Someone aiming for a score like that shouldn't be scoring 186 within 2 months of their exam date. I'm not ruling out a prospect of a massive jump within a number of weeks, but the reality is that you have a big mountain to climb.

You can learn from it and move on - I can suggest further sources that might help you boost your score, or you can opt to respond to this post with further cynicism, continue to live in la-la land about your Step 1 score and fall short of your ambition in Step 2.

Reactions: 1 user
This may sound harsh, but the first problem is that you seem to be resting on your Step 1 laurels. A good Step 1 score doesn't always translate into a good Step 2 score.

Secondly, you need to drop the defeatist attitude. Tips from strangers on internet forums will only get you so far. You can choose to get caught up in this defeatist attitude due to your 186, or you can dust yourself off and strive forward.

You need to sit down and ask yourself questions - what was the reason for this failing? Has your attitude been positive? Did you put the necessary dedication and enthusiasm into your work?

Bottom line - if you want to replicate the 245 you got in Step 1, you're nowhere near ready for this exam. Someone aiming for a score like that shouldn't be scoring 186 within 2 months of their exam date. I'm not ruling out a prospect of a massive jump within a number of weeks, but the reality is that you have a big mountain to climb.

You can learn from it and move on - I can suggest further sources that might help you boost your score, or you can opt to respond to this post with further cynicism, continue to live in la-la land about your Step 1 score and fall short of your ambition in Step 2.

Your help is appreciated I just don't see how you scoring a 240 on nbme 2 is the same as me scoring a 186 on it. And I know I'm not ready for it, thats why I asked for help. I just don't know why it went that way....anyways of course I'm gonna dust off and move forward, my 245 for step 1 didn't come easy and I know the same is true for step 2.

Should I continue my second pass on uworld and 2nd pass on mtb2? I was planing on doing MTB3 for non IM things. But I mean a 186 after a first pass is saying that I am missing major knowledge or lack good clinical judgement.
I suggest doing UW a second time. This time, instead of focusing on getting the question right focus on how and why they arrived at the correct answer and equally important is why the other choices are wrong. Understanding the differential is far more important than getting the question right on UW. In-fact, at this stage, the more questions you get wrong on UW the more you will learn. Then look up your weak topics in MTBs, FA, SUS2 etc or even Uptodate, Medscape and Wikipedia. I followed this strategy and managed to get 250+ in NBME 2 & UWSA.
Remember, UW is the best available resource for Step 2 CK. Every time I do it I always find something new to learn.
Hope this helps.

Update: So a month ago I bombed NBME 2. I restarted uworld and actually bagn taking real notes and studying hard core.

Just took NBME 4. I am 1 month out now. Predicted score 221. WTF. :mad::mad:Why can't I push through to AT LEAST my step 1 score. I don't get it. I'm 50% done uworld on my second (and more serious pass). Is there any chance I can go up another 20 points or so in a month? I still have UWSA left. I'm saving that fo two weeks from now.

Advice appreciated.

Update: So a month ago I bombed NBME 2. I restarted uworld and actually bagn taking real notes and studying hard core.

Just took NBME 4. I am 1 month out now. Predicted score 221. WTF. :mad::mad:Why can't I push through to AT LEAST my step 1 score. I don't get it. I'm 50% done uworld on my second (and more serious pass). Is there any chance I can go up another 20 points or so in a month? I still have UWSA left. I'm saving that fo two weeks from now.

Advice appreciated.
Don't worry, you are doing great. You progressed from 186 to 221. That's huge progress and you still have to go through the rest of 50% UW. The progress on UW is exponential not linear since each question and it's explanation prepares you better for next question/topic..
IMHO you are on the right track and will easily gain another 20 points by the end of UW as long as you keep reading the explanations and analyzing them. Don't forget to simultaneously keep reviewing your notes.
While reviewing the questions I made it a habit of asking myself "what else can they ask on this particular topic" and how am I going to figure it out.
Hope this helps.