HELP KCOM vs. UHSCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXAnksXx

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH SOME ADVICE :confused:

I am trying to decide whether to go to KCOM or UHS COM? Where should I go? I loved both campuses UHS is new KCOM is a lil bit older they have more technology ( DO YOU ACTUALLY BRING LAPTOPS TO LECTURE at KCOM????)

I cant pay $2000 to hold seats, so someone please help me decide!

Thanks.

(some students at KCOM scared me in the sense that they said the school is really hard, i'd have to study all day long...) The very first DO school, so they need to keep high standards? :(

Will what medicaal school I attend affect my chances when applying for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly believe you have to go with your gut feeling. I interviewed with several schools and I knew from the moment I stepped foot on campus that UHS was the school for me. If you don't have a feeling one way or another, then look at what is important to you. For me, rotations was also an important consideration. I wanted a lot of flexibility with rotations and I didn't want to get stuck living in KC for 4 years (although now that I am here, it doesn't seem to be such a bad thing). Take a good look at board scores. Some of the schools I interviewed at had passing board scores, but they failed to mention that students were barely passing the boards. I know UHS has above standard board scores (passing and overall scores), and I have to believe that KCOM is the same, so you need other factors to narrow down your choice.
If you still can't narrow it down then ask the schools if you can e-mail their ambassadors to ask them specific questions about the school. The ambassadors should be able to give you a good idea if you will be happy at whichever school you decide upon.
Good luck, either school will give you a superb education.

Yup. I agree.

Go with the school that you KNOW you liked better. You know which one it is!

M.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

I'm with the others - go with your gut feeling. But for the record, I very much doubt that our curriculum is "harder" than UHS. If you were bright enough to be accepted at both, you will do fine at either school. They are quite comparable when applying for residency as well.

Take care,
Andrea

UHS:
easier for spouse to find job
more recreational things to do
probably more opportunities for electives/experiences (forensics,
autopsies, Lifeflight, trauma ride-alongs, sports med)
stronger path dep't
newer buildings
great ventilation in anat lab
more weights and treadmills in gym
combined MBA (if you are in to that)
ability to stay in same city all 4yrs (69 spots?)
i think UHS has more regions to do 3rd yr in (Florida, OK,
Dallas,Kansas,etc). if you want to be near home, check the
rotation sites.
Wichita for rotations. a solid site but noone wants to live there
= easy pickin's when lottery time comes!

very difficult to get involved in research
only about 10 Ohio spots
"You're a med student?. So you're at KU, right?"-Every KC resident

KCOM:
stronger basic science (fewer partners in anat., dedicated BS building, etc)
$5,000 cheaper/yr = about $35,000 less in repayment
bigger,nicer library? - i haven't seen the new one
better student lounge
windows in anat lab (but horrible vent.)
basketball court and hot tub in gym
combined MPH (if you are in to that)
more research/publications
really cheap housing on campus if you can get it
might have more Ohio slots (a good thing)
acknowledgement/appreciation that you are a med student by
"townsfolk"

difficult/impossible for spouse to find job
2 hr from airport (in KC)
terrible housing options

xXAnksXx,

Analyze things like student/faculty ratio and rotation sites. Also, look at the OPTI programs at KCOM and UHS. I don't know if UHS has an OPTI program so you'll have to find that out. KCOM's OPTI program is quite good already, with a few more sites being added next year. In case you don't know, OPTI stands for Osteopathic Postdocural Training Institute. Basically, it consists of a network of teaching hospitals for internship and residency years. There are spots at each site that are specifically held of KCOM grads - if they want them. The quality of any given school's OPTI program basically comes down to "connections" and "wheeling and dealing" between the school and the given health system. KCOM has great OPTI sites (I think the most of any COM) and they are quality. The most recent is the University of Kansas Medical Center - very nice. Rumor has it, Mayo may be on the horizon. Also, Southern Ill. University Medical, and other Allopathic programs (plus plenty of Osteo). I personally like the fact that KCOM is actively networking with Allo. programs.

UHS has MEDCON, which I believe is similar to OPTI, I am not familiar with OPTI, so I can't say for sure. MEDCON is a list of affiliated medical sites all over the country which is exclusive to UHS. There are several rotation sites here in KC, and I know several UHS students end up doing residencies here as well, including Children's Mercy and KU.
Personally, the one thing that appealed to me with UHS was the fact that you can do almost all of your 4th year rotations anywhere you want. I wanted that flexibility because where you rotate in your 4th year can have a major impact on where you do your residency, meaning if they like you enough you have a very good chance of matching with that site (along with good board scores, of course! :D ).