help keep me on track!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disgruntled One

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a freshman this year. ive taken a year of gen chem I and II w/ labs, 2 bios w/ labs, Calc I and II, plus other core requirements for my college. i'll end this year with anywhere between a 3.3 and a 3.7 (im assuming im ok still, i had a shaky first semester, but ive gotten my act together, at least more than before). and by the way i dont go to a grade inflated school, so my gpa isnt bad compared to other students, especially in sciences.

over the summer i'm taking genetics, and next year im taking mol bio, cell bio, orgo I and II, physics I and II (calc based), maybe calc III (might put that off til the summer) and again more core requirements. i plan on double majoring in cell/mol bio and biological chemistry.

so i have a few questions...
when should i take the mcat? summer after sophomore year? thats the closest to when i finish my premed classes. what do med schools think about taking it multiple times?

i am attempting to get a job/internship doing research over the summer, but nothing has happened yet. i will be doing research at my university's med school during next school year. and i will be volunteering some at a hospital over the summer.

i havent had any extracurricular activities during this year. ive been a lazy bum not studying or doing much else. so what else besides what ive mentioned above do i need to do to get on track? any suggestions are welcome. thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

This may sound really stupid. If it's not for you, I apologize, it's just my opinion. (That and a dollar will buy you a 20 oz Coke)

Lay off the classes. You have lots of time. Find some hobbies and extracurriculars you are really passionate about. EC's aren't just resume builders. They're also a way to blow off steam from classes. This is a marathon, not a sprint, as I'm sure you are aware.

As an example, I absolutely love SCUBA diving and amateur astronomy. I'm willing to spend a lot of time studying, but I absolutely make time for my hobbies. No excuses to miss a clear, good weather night. I'm already burnt out, but I promise you I would be beyond repair if I didn't make time for these things I enjoy outside my chosen profession.

This may sound really stupid. If it's not for you, I apologize, it's just my opinion. (That and a dollar will buy you a 20 oz Coke)

hmmm...

It'll also buy you a 20 minute long distance phone call to anywhere in the U.S.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
7/10

These characters are here to fill my minimum post requirement.

problem is that i think the reason i didnt do as well as i wanted last semester was because i was bored. it happened to me a lot in high school. it wasnt challenging so i just didnt do any of the work and would end up with mostly Bs. so i took 21 hours this semester and ive done better, but i still have a damn hard time making myself study/do homework (should be reading dante right now).

so im loading up partially to keep me from getting bored, partially b/c of the double major, and partially b/c my college has a program that allows me to gain acceptance to med school after sophomore year and another where i go to med school for senior year and get my bs after 1st year in med school. dont know if i still have a shot at those b/c of my gpa last semester, but im still going to try.

another question... how early should i start studying for the mcat? if i take it in the summer i really wouldnt be able to study until after school ends. i could always get a book now or sometime during next winter and start studying, but i that seems silly since i wouldnt have had orgo or physics.

study for it 3-4 mos in advance of when you wanna take it

i took the mcat in august, so i started in may-june when school let out. friends that took it in april took a light semester at school and started dec-jan.

do not plan to study 1 year ahead for the mcat, you won't remember stuff. what you need to do in terms of studying for the mcat is "learn" how to take tests. sounds funny, i know, but the stuff on the test isn't as hard as training yourself to answer and analyze under pressure.

there are people on SDN that have taken the MCAT without finishing the prereqs, namely orgo II, but that will involve alot of self learning. safe bet is to finish up your prereqs then supplement your knowledge with kaplan or aamc practice materials.

The majority first try it in April of their Junior Year. This allows for a second chance in August, and an edge in the admissions process by being able to use the EDP or simply get your app in early.

The stressful part of that is, you have to study for it while you're taking classes. And yes, that does suck. Not only did me and many others have to struggle to get good grades and prepare for the MCAT, but now we're having to deal with all the crap we put off until after the MCAT was over.

[vent]And then, once we're caught up on that, it'll be time for finals. And me, I fly to Germany for my Summer abroad a week after that. Then I get back, and it's time to start Senior year and complete the admissions process. [/vent]

Disgruntled One said:
im a freshman this year. ive taken a year of gen chem I and II w/ labs, 2 bios w/ labs, Calc I and II, plus other core requirements for my college. i'll end this year with anywhere between a 3.3 and a 3.7 (im assuming im ok still, i had a shaky first semester, but ive gotten my act together, at least more than before). and by the way i dont go to a grade inflated school, so my gpa isnt bad compared to other students, especially in sciences.

over the summer i'm taking genetics, and next year im taking mol bio, cell bio, orgo I and II, physics I and II (calc based), maybe calc III (might put that off til the summer) and again more core requirements. i plan on double majoring in cell/mol bio and biological chemistry.

so i have a few questions...
when should i take the mcat? summer after sophomore year? thats the closest to when i finish my premed classes. what do med schools think about taking it multiple times?

i am attempting to get a job/internship doing research over the summer, but nothing has happened yet. i will be doing research at my university's med school during next school year. and i will be volunteering some at a hospital over the summer.

i havent had any extracurricular activities during this year. ive been a lazy bum not studying or doing much else. so what else besides what ive mentioned above do i need to do to get on track? any suggestions are welcome. thanks a lot.

I had a schedule similar to yours, and I would suggest taking the MCAT the summer after your sophomore year. The material will still be fresh in your head, and it's a lot easier to focus on the MCAT when you don't have a normal class load to worry about.

Also, if you feel the need to retake it, you can retake it in the spring of your junior year, and still be on track to apply that summer.

wouldnt august of junior yr be slightly better, giving me more time to study? i know most dont take it until spring of junior yr, but most people dont take physics until then also (at least thats what ive heard).

anyway... does anyone have any answers to my other questions...like recommendations about what ECs i should try and get involved in, how much research should i try and get? etc...

Disgruntled One said:
wouldnt august of junior yr be slightly better, giving me more time to study? i know most dont take it until spring of junior yr, but most people dont take physics until then also (at least thats what ive heard).

anyway... does anyone have any answers to my other questions...like recommendations about what ECs i should try and get involved in, how much research should i try and get? etc...

You can wait until junior year to take the MCAT, and either apply late that summer (not recommended), or wait a year to apply.

You should do extracurriculars in things that interest you. It's definitely a good idea to do ECs involving patient care, so that you can find out if medicine is for you.

Do research if you like it.

BubbleBobble said:
You can wait until junior year to take the MCAT, and either apply late that summer (not recommended), or wait a year to apply.

i'm not trying to apply early or anything (unless i can through those programs i mentioned), i just want to take the mcat at the best time for me, which would seem to be august of junior year which would give me that summer to study etc. then i would possibly take it again in april like everyone else if i needed to and apply at the normal time.

it seems i need to get a book or something to learn how all of this works. recommendations? i didnt know you could apply during the summer.

It seems like you already have the basics. But, if you want, go to www.aamc.org and find the "Medical School Admission Requirements". That is, if you don't already have a copy. It is packed full of information.