ostensibly

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
40
0
Status
Hi, I got an offer to sign out w/ LICH in brooklyn for a prelim year, I hardly know enough about them...no info on scutwork and barely a post here. They are on my list because they are so close to the city. Flushing hosp of queens seems like a tolerable program and I know the residents are happy there but i dont know where I am on their list. I actually called them and explained this situation. They are'nt sure if they can even discuss it with me. What can you tell me about these two programs ???

thanks...
 
OP
O

ostensibly

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
40
0
Status
ostensibly said:
Hi, I got an offer to sign out w/ LICH in brooklyn for a prelim year, I hardly know enough about them...no info on scutwork and barely a post here. They are on my list because they are so close to the city. Flushing hosp of queens seems like a tolerable program and I know the residents are happy there but i dont know where I am on their list. I actually called them and explained this situation. They are'nt sure if they can even discuss it with me. What can you tell me about these two programs ???

thanks...
:smuggrin:
 

yabby

Nephro-IM
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
26
0
Status
Attending Physician
Definitely LICH--more reputed and better place to work.
 
OP
O

ostensibly

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
40
0
Status
yabby said:
Definitely LICH--more reputed and better place to work.
reputed does'nt mean much to me: this is for a prelim. Better place to work, now that's money. What is "better" about it? attending relations? night float? electives? work hours? Do you have any of this info.
 

doctor-to-be

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
3
0
Status
I don't think there's that much difference between the programs. Having done rotations at both. I'd lean a little more towards Flushing because the teaching seems like its better-- the only caveat would be that there residency director left to go run another program. In the end, with minimal differences between the programs and the fact that it is a prelim-- would you rather live in Flushing or Brooklyn Heights?



ostensibly said:
reputed does'nt mean much to me: this is for a prelim. Better place to work, now that's money. What is "better" about it? attending relations? night float? electives? work hours? Do you have any of this info.
 

jtw

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
35
0
Status
doctor-to-be said:
I don't think there's that much difference between the programs. Having done rotations at both. I'd lean a little more towards Flushing because the teaching seems like its better-- the only caveat would be that there residency director left to go run another program. In the end, with minimal differences between the programs and the fact that it is a prelim-- would you rather live in Flushing or Brooklyn Heights?

I'm also considering flushing, however, I would really prefer to live in Manhattan. As someone who is not from NYC, is it realistic to commute to Flushing from Manhattan?
 

doctor-to-be

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
3
0
Status
It can be done-- it'll be like 40minutes plus-- depending on where you're coming from. Much more realistic to live in manhattan and go to LICH. This is all by subway. Once you get into flushing, there's like a 10 minute or less bus ride. I'm a native so its natural for me not to think of driving. But having a car in manhattan would be a pain.


jtw said:
I'm also considering flushing, however, I would really prefer to live in Manhattan. As someone who is not from NYC, is it realistic to commute to Flushing from Manhattan?
 

fly27

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
5
0
Status
How to rank these programs based Based on
Reputation alone(the ability to get a PGY-2 position)?????????

primary care programs are not an issue - i will be trying for a neurology PGY-2 position so it doesnt matter...

THANKS so much for your advice!!!

1)Mt Sinai - Queens
2)North Shore at forrest hills
3)Brooklyn Hospital center
4)Flushing
5)Coney Island
6)Brookdale