HELP!! LICH vs Flushing prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ostensibly

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got an offer to sign out w/ LICH in brooklyn for a prelim year, I hardly know enough about them...no info on scutwork and barely a post here. They are on my list because they are so close to the city. Flushing hosp of queens seems like a tolerable program and I know the residents are happy there but i dont know where I am on their list. I actually called them and explained this situation. They are'nt sure if they can even discuss it with me. What can you tell me about these two programs ???

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

ostensibly said:
Hi, I got an offer to sign out w/ LICH in brooklyn for a prelim year, I hardly know enough about them...no info on scutwork and barely a post here. They are on my list because they are so close to the city. Flushing hosp of queens seems like a tolerable program and I know the residents are happy there but i dont know where I am on their list. I actually called them and explained this situation. They are'nt sure if they can even discuss it with me. What can you tell me about these two programs ???

thanks...

:smuggrin:

Definitely LICH--more reputed and better place to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
yabby said:
Definitely LICH--more reputed and better place to work.

reputed does'nt mean much to me: this is for a prelim. Better place to work, now that's money. What is "better" about it? attending relations? night float? electives? work hours? Do you have any of this info.

I don't think there's that much difference between the programs. Having done rotations at both. I'd lean a little more towards Flushing because the teaching seems like its better-- the only caveat would be that there residency director left to go run another program. In the end, with minimal differences between the programs and the fact that it is a prelim-- would you rather live in Flushing or Brooklyn Heights?

ostensibly said:
reputed does'nt mean much to me: this is for a prelim. Better place to work, now that's money. What is "better" about it? attending relations? night float? electives? work hours? Do you have any of this info.

doctor-to-be said:
I don't think there's that much difference between the programs. Having done rotations at both. I'd lean a little more towards Flushing because the teaching seems like its better-- the only caveat would be that there residency director left to go run another program. In the end, with minimal differences between the programs and the fact that it is a prelim-- would you rather live in Flushing or Brooklyn Heights?

I'm also considering flushing, however, I would really prefer to live in Manhattan. As someone who is not from NYC, is it realistic to commute to Flushing from Manhattan?

It can be done-- it'll be like 40minutes plus-- depending on where you're coming from. Much more realistic to live in manhattan and go to LICH. This is all by subway. Once you get into flushing, there's like a 10 minute or less bus ride. I'm a native so its natural for me not to think of driving. But having a car in manhattan would be a pain.

jtw said:
I'm also considering flushing, however, I would really prefer to live in Manhattan. As someone who is not from NYC, is it realistic to commute to Flushing from Manhattan?

How to rank these programs based Based on
Reputation alone(the ability to get a PGY-2 position)?????????

primary care programs are not an issue - i will be trying for a neurology PGY-2 position so it doesnt matter...

THANKS so much for your advice!!!

1)Mt Sinai - Queens
2)North Shore at forrest hills
3)Brooklyn Hospital center
4)Flushing
5)Coney Island
6)Brookdale