help! low gpa (2.4) do I have a chance OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressout

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
.Here’s my shameful, horrible (GPA) undergraduate story. .
.Freshman year: 1.97.
.Sophomore year: 1.77.
.Junior year: 2.05 .
.And was dismissed in spring quarter because of many repeated quarters with low gpa (< 2.0). Took 2 quarters of classes through the university’s extension program, and eventually, they let me back to complete my B.S. In the process, switched major from pure Biology to semi-science BioAnthropology. Literally, I was slaughtered by science classes; Ochem and Physics were brutal!.
.Senior year: 2.88 .
.And phew! Graduated from UCLA, but now with my abysmal 2.49 overall gpa and OT prerequisite gpa 3.9 (although I still need physiology). .
.Do you think I even have a chance with OT schools? Or even any graduate school? What should I do, be a bum forever? Please help, I’ve pretty much hit bottom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..
.Does anyone know any OT school that has low (<2.4, doubt any exist!) gpa requirement or one that looks at last 60 or 90 units? I know San Jose State does. .
.OT is something I really want and dream to do, especially in the pediatric field. Currently, I work with special needed, developmental delay and autistic children; and seeing them, I want to do so much for them to overcome the obstacle of their special need/dependence. Whenever I see their progress or even the slightest improvement, it’s the most amazing feeling ever! I believe OT greatest reward is knowing "it made a difference for that one." (from the starfish story, you guys should read it).

Members don't see this ad.

Did you say OT prerequisite gpa 3.9 ?

Either way... look around for all the schools you can that look at the last 60 to 90cr.
York college in NY likes to say they value the interview over the grades.. wherever you go you have to make it look like you can get through the program. IF you bail or fail half way through, that's one seat that isn't making them money for the rest of the class for years, and that isn't good.

your essay should be spot on, how you work w/ OT's in peds and maybe a letter of recommendation from one. (or all of them :smuggrin:)
Student loans may be harder to get and if you can get them and someone else cant you may gain points. The worst they can say is no.....

Perhaps the schools that want the MAT or GRE would be an angle (if you think you can stand out in them.)

Maybe a COTA spot would be the move.. out a lot sooner, less competitive? Easy to get through w/ a nice 3.5 or better? Just a thought.

Last edited:
You still have a chance, dont worry. You just cant apply to big school names (No NYU's, USC's, or anything with a U in it). There are too many applicants that apply there.
With that being said, there are programs that do NOT get enough applicants! They need to fill 30 seats but only have 23 applications! LOL. Most of these schoos ask the Physical therapy applicants (who dont get into PT) if they want to go to OT school (fact;Ive had so many friends that has that happened to them).

A friend of mine with a 2.7 cum, and 2.7 pre req got in a small college somewhere in the middle of no where. If you are willing to travel to a small college in a small town, chances are application counts are low.
You at least have a 3.9 pre req!
Another person i know got in a small college in Oakland, California, with also a 2.7 gpa cum, and 2.9 pre req.

However you need to have lots of obervation hours and/or health care experience with OT, to show your passion for OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
With that being said, there are programs that do NOT get enough applicants! They need to fill 30 seats but only have 23 applications! LOL. Most of these schoos ask the Physical therapy applicants (who dont get into PT) if they want to go to OT school (fact;Ive had so many friends that has that happened to them).

A friend of mine with a 2.7 cum, and 2.7 pre req got in a small college somewhere in the middle of no where. If you are willing to travel to a small college in a small town, chances are application counts are low.
You at least have a 3.9 pre req!
Another person i know got in a small college in Oakland, California, with also a 2.7 gpa cum, and 2.9 pre req.
Wow! That's really reassuring to me. Do you know the names of any of these programs that do not receive enough applicants? Even though I'm probably going the OTA to OT route, it's nice to know that there are backups.

Also, stressout, I hope all works well for you. I have no advice, but I feel sympathy.

Wow! That's really reassuring to me. Do you know the names of any of these programs that do not receive enough applicants? Even though I'm probably going the OTA to OT route, it's nice to know that there are backups.

Also, stressout, I hope all works well for you. I have no advice, but I feel sympathy.

Samuel Merritt University in Oakland requires a 2.8 cumulative GPA and 2.6 on prerequisites. This year around 180 applicants applied for 36 spots. Your undergraduate GPA is pretty low and that can be a problem. But you must have really good recommendation letters and an excellent personal statement. You must call the schools that you are planning to apply to and ask them questions because they might suggest you better ideas. By the way, have you thought about becoming an Occupational Therapist Assistant? It is easier to get into an OTA program vs. OT program.

.And was dismissed in spring quarter because of many repeated quarters with low gpa (< 2.0). Took 2 quarters of classes through the university’s extension program, and eventually, they let me back to complete my B.S. In the process, switched major from pure Biology to semi-science BioAnthropology. Literally, I was slaughtered by science classes; Ochem and Physics were brutal!.
.And phew! Graduated from UCLA, but now with my abysmal 2.49 overall gpa and OT prerequisite gpa 3.9 (although I still need physiology). .
.Do you think I even have a chance with OT schools? Or even any graduate school? What should I do, be a bum forever? Please help, I’ve pretty much hit bottom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance..
.Does anyone know any OT school that has low (<2.4, doubt any exist!) gpa requirement or one that looks at last 60 or 90 units? I know San Jose State does. .
.OT is something I really want and dream to do, especially in the pediatric field. Currently, I work with special needed, developmental delay and autistic children; and seeing them, I want to do so much for them to overcome the obstacle of their special need/dependence. Whenever I see their progress or even the slightest improvement, it’s the most amazing feeling ever! I believe OT greatest reward is knowing "it made a difference for that one." (from the starfish story, you guys should read it).

Samuel Merritt University in Oakland requires a 2.8 cumulative GPA and 2.6 on prerequisites. This year around 180 applicants applied for 36 spots. Your undergraduate GPA is pretty low and that can be a problem. But you must have really good recommendation letters and an excellent personal statement. You must call the schools that you are planning to apply to and ask them questions because they might suggest you better ideas. By the way, have you thought about becoming an Occupational Therapist Assistant? It is easier to get into an OTA program vs. OT program.

sorry... disregard this!

Hi Stressout,
I am in a similar situation now. I saw that you posted a while ago. What did you end up deciding? Maybe we can go through this together because I don't know anyone else who is in the same situation as I am. Thoughts?

Hi Stressout,
I am in a similar situation now. I saw that you posted a while ago. What did you end up deciding? Maybe we can go through this together because I don't know anyone else who is in the same situation as I am. Thoughts?

Hi Hoperemains,

I know it's been awhile but I was wondering how your situation with OT schools are going? I have a low gpa too and applied to 14 schools for Fall 2011. I was denied at 5 for 2010 but I'm still hopeful. Good Luck.

Hi just want to tell you to not loose faith! You still have the ability to be an OT. But it's very important for you to observe OT's left and right. Possibly even work as an OT aide. I would suggest you do this before your apps so you have a good amount done before your apps.

Your overall GPA is very low so yes it will be hard for you to get into schools that look at your overall GPA. But there are many schools out there that look at your last 60 sem. hours and of course it's crucial to have a good pre-req. GPA. So look for schools that look at mainly the last 60 sem. hours.

I agree with all of the posts before me, especially the ones that say you HAVE to write a kick ass personal statement. You need to direct every ounce of your passion for OT in that so they can read it and be like damn she wants it more than anything. Also, you should look into the smaller named schools, schools like USC, UIC, UW-Madison won't be reassuring. But at the same time do also apply to some good schools that are not so low key.

Personally, my GPA and GRE is straight up borderline. My overall GPA is 3.06 and my GRE was 1000 flat. So that already doesn't make me all that competitive against 100's of other people applying. But I observed in almost all OT settings with many OT's. I observed a lot of my hours at Rush Medical Center which also happens to have a school, Rush University, associated with it. So that made it "look" good because the school saw that I have had experience with their facility. I also work as a rehabilitation technician and work with PT and OT patients. So I get complete hands on training. Try looking into schools that also have a hospital (with OT) associated with it.

I hope this helps a bit, just don't loose hope yet!

OH and it's so important to be on top of all your apps. Don't wait until last minute or even if it says you should send in your apps before Oct to be considered for early admission, you should send it in ASAP. So if you are planning on applying for 2012, send in your apps by the end of August. It helps so much because let me tell you, there will be problems with some things not being sent in on time.

Good luck to you!!

I'm no the same boat! This is actually my second year around in applying to schoosl. This year I've already applied to 10 schools. I'm so stressd out but I know that I am very passionate about OT so I'm hoping that I will get in somewhere. I was already denied to 2 schools and when I contacted them to ask questions and why it was because of my low GPA and just so many other applicants that were just as qualified. Though I have lots of hours ot experience in OT with excellent letter of recommendations. Though I know that OT is such a growing field and it gets harder and harder each year. I don't know what to do but I'm staying optimisic aobut it all because all I can believe is that everything happens for a reason and I will get in somewhere.

I'm no the same boat! This is actually my second year around in applying to schoosl. This year I've already applied to 10 schools. I'm so stressd out but I know that I am very passionate about OT so I'm hoping that I will get in somewhere. I was already denied to 2 schools and when I contacted them to ask questions and why it was because of my low GPA and just so many other applicants that were just as qualified. Though I have lots of hours ot experience in OT with excellent letter of recommendations. Though I know that OT is such a growing field and it gets harder and harder each year. I don't know what to do but I'm staying optimisic aobut it all because all I can believe is that everything happens for a reason and I will get in somewhere.
I'm in the same boat. What are your stats? Are you applying to smaller schools or the popular ones like NYU and Columbia?

Last year I applied to some of the bigger named schools, USC and NYU but was not granted acceptance. This year I'm applying to some of the smaller schools. I'm really discourage because I know I do not have the GPA stats to get in. I'm actually kind of embarrassed to share with you my GPA though it is below a 3.0 and almost every school required minimum GPA is a 3.0! And to make matters worse, the OTCAS calculations they factor in classes that I retook so my GPA's are all messed up and lower than stated on the actual transcripts.

I'm so passionate about OT I'm thinking of retaking a bunch of class, but it is a risk bc I don't know if I'm even going to get all A's you know? I've heard back so far from 3 schools and was denied acceptances. Waiting for like 5 other schools, Dominican, Touro, Midwestern Arizona, Pittsburgh, and Puget Sound, some of the schools are long shots but I'm sticking to it. Hoping that if its meant to be it will be... I've done just about everything I could at this point. OT was something I really want to do but my GPA holds me back, I have excellent letters of rec, I did over 80hours and I work in a medical clinic. All I can do is volunteer more places and retake class... I'm just so discouraged! :( I don't have a back up plan, I'm lost because with a psychology BA theres not much you can do. I haven't seen anything else that I'm this passionate about. I don't know what to do or think right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, I even considered doing the OTA program, but I just think its so pointless... I already have a Bachelors degree! And I looked into the one closest to me and there's a year and a half wait just to get in, on top of the program being 2 years. Where I prob could've got into a masters program you know? I don't know what to do... anyone have any advice they can give me? Do Schools even look at other things because GPA because so far my 3 rejections are bc of GPA, I even asked them why and that was their responses! Is it hopeless as this point?

Hey LakerLover, do you mind stating what your gpa is?.. is it like the person who started the thread @ 2.4?.. Cause what I would recommend is to apply to OTA and that will allow you easier access to the OT program once your done But I understand about how frustrating it appears with the all the extra years but hey, its process but that's the price you have to pay.The question is how bad do you want it? If not retake courses and achieve A's

My GPA was little bit higher than that but not by much it is a 2.67. Yeah, thats what a figured, I'm sure everything happens for a reason. If I don't get into any of the schools I have yet to hear from I'm most likely going to end up retaking classes and re-applying a 3rd time while having my name on the wait list to an OTA program. I guess its not too bad a year goes by really quick, I'm just very hopeful that everything will work out. Still crossing my fingers that any 1 of the other 5 schools will grant me acceptance based on all my other stats that out weigh the GPA. However, wishful thinking, I know that most grad programs use that as the deciding factor whether one will be able to achieve success in their program. If I do get acceptance I'm going to do everything I possibly can to show them I will be successful!

Have you taken the GRE? Maybe if you do well on the GRE, it might balance out the low GPA factor.

My GPA was little bit higher than that but not by much it is a 2.67. Yeah, thats what a figured, I'm sure everything happens for a reason. If I don't get into any of the schools I have yet to hear from I'm most likely going to end up retaking classes and re-applying a 3rd time while having my name on the wait list to an OTA program. I guess its not too bad a year goes by really quick, I'm just very hopeful that everything will work out. Still crossing my fingers that any 1 of the other 5 schools will grant me acceptance based on all my other stats that out weigh the GPA. However, wishful thinking, I know that most grad programs use that as the deciding factor whether one will be able to achieve success in their program. If I do get acceptance I'm going to do everything I possibly can to show them I will be successful!

Have you considered doing the dual degree option BS/MS occupational therapy programs? The typical entry level OT programs are about 2 1/2 years and the dual degree options are 3years for those with a Bachelors degree already.

I'm sorry to hear that LakerLover. It's so crazy that you find something your so passionate about but its just too late even tho your extremely motivated to change. But your GPA is extremely low for the MS program. If you had somewhere in the upper 2.9 area you would be way better off & have a better chance but the competition is so tough. Yea, maybe thats best. Apply to the OTA & retake courses @ the same x just to be sure. & just apply to all small schools. Nothing with a university in it. & Bizfuture, I'm not sure she would be able to apply to the BS/MS program because she already possesses a Bachelors. Is that possible? & yeaa I would say take the GRE as well & and do very well so it can make you look alot better. But best of luck!

I'm sorry to hear that LakerLover. It's so crazy that you find something your so passionate about but its just too late even tho your extremely motivated to change. But your GPA is extremely low for the MS program. If you had somewhere in the upper 2.9 area you would be way better off & have a better chance but the competition is so tough. Yea, maybe thats best. Apply to the OTA & retake courses @ the same x just to be sure. & just apply to all small schools. Nothing with a university in it. & Bizfuture, I'm not sure she would be able to apply to the BS/MS program because she already possesses a Bachelors. Is that possible? & yeaa I would say take the GRE as well & and do very well so it can make you look alot better. But best of luck!

Just wanted to answer the question of whether you can apply for a BS/MS program if you already have a bachelors degree- you can.

Last edited:
Just wanted to answer the question of whether you can apply for a BS/MS program if you already have a bachelors degree- you can. I am in a combined program, and there are several people here who have previously earned a bachelor's degree. The only thing different is financial aid- I'm not sure how that would work out if you have already completed a degree.
If you are a second degree student you would only be eligible for loans.

Hey Laker Lover,

It's comforting to know someone else re-applying. If I don't get in this round I plan on quitting my job and volunteering full time and maybe taking more classes like chem with a lab to expand my options. Which OTA program are you on the wait list for? that's another option I may have to explore if I don't hear any good news from schools If you don't mind me asking which schools did not grant you an acceptance. I know it's tough but know that you are not alone! stay strong! passion is everything.

I'm not on the waitlist yet, its the COTA program at Santa Ana College. So far, I was not granted acceptances to CSUD... but they already started a couple of weeks ago and also Loma Linda. What schools have you applied to?? So, I'm waiting to hear back from 5 more schools my next first choice is Dominican University, I'm hopefully but at the same time really scared and not sure if i'll get in anywhere. :( But keeping my head up high and knowing that everything happens for a reason. I'm sure everything will work out for you too... Just keep on going like you're doing because that all we can do!

is it true that a person would have a better chance of acceptance based on their gender and race?

I think they are trying to get more males into the OT profession, so a guy with the same stats as a female might have an edge with the admissions committee.

I am on the Wait list for USC and I was accepted to University of St Augustine for the MOT program and I have very similar stats as you. I am a male and have thousands of volunteer hours for various things including ot hours. This us a major career shift for me but it is what I want to do. Stick with it and you can do it!

"Diversity" is THE clarion call at every college and university on the planet. And all one needs to do to figure out that it is a major element to admission decisions is look at all the WASPy women in virtually every program. One'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind to not realize that the playing field is not level. There simply are not many persons of maleness, ethnicity, and/or color wanting in the game. Yet.

I thought I'd jump in here... I also applied for and was accepted to a BS-to-MS program about 7 years ago, even though I already had a bachelors degree (in Psychology.) My undergrad GPA was fine, too. The only thing I really lacked were the A&P I/II requirements (and some others which some schools wants, though most schools don't, like gross anatomy with cadaver lab.) At the same time that I applied to that program, I also applied to and got into an unrelated masters program, and ended up doing that.

The combined BS/MS program really didn't make sense for me, at all... I was just at a point in my life where I either had to be working full-time, or in school full-time and supported by loans - I couldn't work part-time and finish my prereqs part-time, and I didn't feel comfortable working full-time while taking A&P. In the end, I realized it was stupid to pay so much for another bachelors degree.

That said, if you REALLY want to be an OT and you're sure no grad program will accept you, the combined program could be a route into the profession. The loan thing can be an issue, though. I don't know what the rules are now, but in general, you can take out much less in Stafford loans for undergrad than for grad school. I know whether you're an independent student is factored in, and whether you are working on a second bachelors degree might also factor in. But you might find that you can't take out as much in government loans as you could for grad school, and you'll have to take out a lot more in private loans to fund the undergrad portion of the program (assuming you can't pay out of pocket.) If you can avoid the heavy debt, that would be good. Just the 2.5 years of an OT masters program is expensive enough and something like $20,000 per year can be taken out as a Stafford loan. (I don't remember the exact limit... for years and years and years the limit was $18,500 and then only just changed it the year after I graduated with my masters.)

Whistlepig is also correct, as "un-PC" as it is to say.

OP - I do have one question. What are the OT prereqs in which you have a 3.9? You mentioned you haven't done physiology yet. Are any of the prereqs you have done science classes, or are they all psych? How'd you do in stats? I'm asking to sort of try to get a handle on your abilities. Do you think you'll do well in physiology? It's great for us to be cheerleaders, but on the other hand, sometimes it's actually doing someone a disservice to encourage them... a desire to be in a certain profession does not mean they have the abilities for it. I'm not at ALL saying you DON'T have the abilities for it... it's just hard to know. Just take a hard look at yourself, once you've finished physiology, and then make a decision.

What about something like special ed? I think you would have a real shot at a MAT or MEd degree program.

Last edited:
"Diversity" is THE clarion call at every college and university on the planet. And all one needs to do to figure out that it is a major element to admission decisions is look at all the WASPy women in virtually every program. One'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind to not realize that the playing field is not level. There simply are not many persons of maleness, ethnicity, and/or color wanting in the game. Yet.

I respectfully disagree. We have a very small class and yet, I am amazed at how diverse it really is. Like nursing, OT has been largely female-dominated in the past, but the trends are changing and there are more males entering the profession. We have five males in our small class and two male OTs as professors.

As far as ethnicity is concerned, I think a lot of that has to do with the area in which the school is located. NY, where my school is located, is a melting pot in and of itself.

Hi everyone. I decided to jump in because I am in a similar situation, although my GPA is not as low as yours. I have a cum GPA of 3.06 and prereq GPA of 3.2. I applied to 4 smaller schools because I knew my chances of getting were very slim this year. So far, I have been rejected to 2 schools and I'm losing hope. Both rejection letters stated that I wasn't competitive enough with the number of applicants they got this year. I am VERY passionate about being an OT but I am slowly realizing the reality of it and I think I am going to go for an OTA program then apply for a bridging program that will let me allow to be an OT. I know this is a long and roundabout way, but I don't want to keep taking classes over and wait around for an answer. Maybe this is an option for you? There are a lot of OTA programs and they're relatively cheap.

I respectfully disagree. We have a very small class and yet, I am amazed at how diverse it really is. Like nursing, OT has been largely female-dominated in the past, but the trends are changing and there are more males entering the profession. We have five males in our small class and two male OTs as professors.

As far as ethnicity is concerned, I think a lot of that has to do with the area in which the school is located. NY, where my school is located, is a melting pot in and of itself.
I'm unclear on what your disagreement is? Just look @ class photos in any of the programs. You'll find, despite what you portray as a "diverse" group w/ 5 males in class (of how many? 20? 30?40? more? In any case, even 5 is miniscule, even if more than most.

Let me repeat. Diversity is being mandated in virtually every program. What that means is if all things are even ... and even if they're not ... diversity is priority and candidates, even of lesser qualification, will receive that spot vs. a WASP female. Just offering what I believe is the ultimate in realities in higher education for decades, and it is naive and delu sional to think that OT progams somehow escape this scrutiny and PC pressure to conform. In fact, figure that the pressure on OT programs to "diversify" will escalate for programs that are so narrow in gender and color. Just responding to the question, and you can take this one to the bank.

Mandated? Highly doubtful. Encouraged? Absolutely. Could it also possibly be that the applicant pools have become more diverse with more males and minorities aka the lesser qualified applicants? I don't think there is pressure from anyone to diversify OT, I think it is just a self imposed goal, of both the school and the AOTA. You are sounding as if programs are reluctant to diversify, well maybe they are doing what is best for the diverse patients we work with. I guess your thinking was skewed towards what sounded more negative.

But what you're saying basically backs up Whistlepig's claim... OT schools WANT to diversify the field, hence admitting as many men as possible.

As for racial diversity... it's well known that pretty much every academic program practices affirmative action.

I know exactly what you are going through... my undergrad GPA was pathetic and i was looking at most schools requirements and was like i guess i should continue working my mediocre job especially after I went to see an admission adviser at temple who told me to forget about OT and stuff pretty messed up now that I think about it
But I still got in to 3 schools
Dunno if that helps you a little or not

Anyways your pre-req looks good just try doing good and physiology
I took all my pre-reqs at community college cuz they were easier and did good all A;s one B
And I see you are already working in a related field that should help you a lot as well
I on the other hand was working in a pharmaceutical company so no correlation

You didnt mention anything about the GRE;s so my advice would be to KICK ASS in the GRE
I took off 3 weeks from work without pay just so I could study for them and ended up with a 1420 in the end---- that helped me a lot
Also you need to find a good excuse for your low grades and how now you have overcome that... I used having 2 jobs and stuff which even though i had didnt effect my studying: obviously you cant say that you were partying it up.
Other thing is apply everywhere and anywhere: I know it cost a lot of money but what's there to lose.
I also tried keeping in touch with schools admission people and academic adviser to get their idea and let them know about me and my situation so they guided me accordingly

But yeah just do well on GRE, personal statement and use your current work to help your cause. They need you to explain to them why/how stuff went bad and how you can assure them that you aint a screw up--- thats what I did and my work helped out a lot cuz I was also teaching part time at temple university so I kinda assured them that I can be serious when I need to

Good luck man

Thanks Vsssh! You've given a 1st hand, real life testimony that could really benefit especially those who've figured out relatively late in this game that while it's nice being nice, that's not the name of this game.

You've done a terrific job in recovering from your deficiencies, and not simply tried to game the system searching for "safety schools" that some suggest (w/o any evidence beyond their say-so) go wanting for students with mediocre records, no or mediocre test scores, some volunteerism, etc. btw, I've a friend who quit job and literally did not leave the house for an entire month, studying for GRE. Did well on it, but it was agony, for sure.

The reality is much closer to what you've shown and that is that like every other academic program in colleges and universities, OT programs have become and will for the foreseeable future become more so ... highly competitive.

Why? 2 major factors:

1. Supply and demand - Relatively few institutions providing a small number of spaces and a huge, growing demand. For several reasons ...

a. Many see it as "soft" to get into. Can you imagine PTs or MDs talking the same way many on this forum talk? It would be laughable. And OT is becoming far more like those highly competitive fields than they are like the old OT.

b. The government employment reports have for several seasons now portrayed OT as a "hot" field. Lots of jobs, great bennies and pay. EVERYONE reads and alot even believe those reports. Period.

c. OTCAS has made it increasingly easy to apply with the common application process. Wanna apply to 2, lots of start-up work necessary. Wanna apply to 10 or 15? Well, if you or dad has the cash, push a button. Totally different than just a year ago. And as we're seeing ...many, make that MANY are learning that this is often necessary, even for top-shelf students, let alone those with the "I'm a 2.5 until my junior year when I 'got it.' "

2. With the "convergence" of these factors, academic programs see opportunity. Not to become softer ...but to become much more, well, academic. They are looking for legitimacy, and the way that comes about in academe? To drive up all traditional, measureable assessments ...GPAs, GREs, class rankings, prerequisites and performance in those growing number of courses, etc. Any and all things that can and will enhance both the academic and professional prowess of their programs. Faculty will be expected and required to do more research and less instruction. Publication will be undeniable, and a major factor in how programs generate revenue to pay Ph.Ds. And increasingly, Ph.Ds, not OTDs will be scrutinized and expected in hiring faculty. Diversity will increasingly play into this as THAT is where alot of the $$ is. As one said ... affirmative action, equal opportunity, etc. But to get those grants and other funds that will enhance "research", generate publications and publicity, programs will need to have class photos with more gender, racial, ethnic diversity. Count on it. Not THE issue, but will increasingly become AN ISSUE of growing import. Access. So many spots that are now available to all, will become available to specific groups.

One final issue in this. While many colleges and universities are watching this phenomenon, and salivating because they see enrollment, prestige opportunities ... there is a very significant cost, big barrier to entry into market-entry. It is relatively expensive, altho not quite so much as in PT or nursing or PA. But still costly. Furthermore ... there is a slow window to accreditation. So to get into the money and student OT game, will require time, money, reallocation of shrinking resources. (Anyone seen what's going on w/ federal and state allocations to higher education?)

Now ... many will say I'm painting a "mean" picture ... or I've somehow got an "attitude" issue. And in doing so, they'll likely be in major denial, wanting to think good intentions and being "nice" and simply having a heart for hurting people are central to finding admission. They'll want to suggest there are all these spots out there going wanting for lack of applicants willing to pay to play. This is mythology, fairy tale thinking. For the absolute truth is that increasingly, OT will become MORE, not less competitive for the forseeable future. And that's THE GUARANTEED TRUTH. Absent some real substantive factors (like GREs noted by Vsssh), it cannot and will not happen for students coming late to the high performance party.

One final, disparate but inot insignificant fact. Currently there are but 4 accredited OTD programs. Anyone wanna wager which direction masters programs are headed? Right. Not to be come better masters programs. One more major barrier to entry for institutions, i.e. not to merely start masters programs, but rather to develop doctoral programs, i.e. more money! Count on it.

Lastly, as painful as a reality-check like this can be, imo it is more "helpful" than patronizing and back-patting of good people who'll have plenty of problem absent making some major, very challenging changes in their personal and professional profiles. Call it tough love, being mean, attitude, what you will. But know it is closer to the truth than a whole bunch of pablum being spooned out here.

Last edited:
I'm unclear on what your disagreement is? Just look @ class photos in any of the programs. You'll find, despite what you portray as a "diverse" group w/ 5 males in class (of how many? 20? 30?40? more? In any case, even 5 is miniscule, even if more than most.

Let me repeat. Diversity is being mandated in virtually every program. What that means is if all things are even ... and even if they're not ... diversity is priority and candidates, even of lesser qualification, will receive that spot vs. a WASP female. Just offering what I believe is the ultimate in realities in higher education for decades, and it is naive and delu sional to think that OT progams somehow escape this scrutiny and PC pressure to conform. In fact, figure that the pressure on OT programs to "diversify" will escalate for programs that are so narrow in gender and color. Just responding to the question, and you can take this one to the bank.

5 is not many, but it is a sign of changing trends. I am wary about giving too much personal information over the internet, so I'd rather not share the name of the OT program where I am a student, but of my small class of about 25 people, several cultural groups are represented. We have made it through some rigorous classes together and lost a few classmates along the way, and I don't believe for a second that any one of them were chosen for their ethnicity and not the fact that they have what it takes to make it through the program. However, considering we are in a very diverse area of the country, I doubt that affirmative action is as big an issue here as it is elsewhere. There are brilliant people from all walks here.

I am not looking at photos; I am looking at my classmates and other OT students from other schools whom I have had the opportunity to work with on fieldwork rotations. My 2 cents as an OT student.

And you'll also find once you get to OT school, that OT is a relatively new profession and what we do is not entirely clear to many people. There is a huge push for evidence-based practice (as there should be) as a means for legitimizing our profession. No matter what your gender or background is, one of the most important aspects of the admissions process is knowing what the profession is all about and being able to articulate your reasons for going into it ("I heard about it in the news" just isn't going to fly). So what I'm saying is, if this is what you really want to do and you can explain why you want to do it in a way that will ring true to the values of the profession, work hard in your classes and you'll be in good shape. GPA, GRE etc. is only part of it.

My take on the number of spots available for so many applicants is this: OT is trying to protect the profession. Take nursing, for example. We went from "nursing shortage" and "get a job anywhere in the country" to widespread unemployment among RNs. Combined with health care cuts in general and a sinking economy in which people are not retiring, the fact that there are MANY nursing schools graduating many new nurses every year and putting them out in the job market to compete is not helping their situation.

I just want to jump in to comment on the affirmative action issue. I know it's not politically correct to point out how prevalent it is, but it is prevalent, even in locations to which is is not difficult to attract minorities. I've worked in higher education for close to 15 years and have read the Chronicle of Higher Education on a regular basis and kept abreast of issues in admissions. When I was admitted to law school in a former life, there was a website - I believe it may have even been an ABA website - which gave stats for those admitted to several major law schools, and there was a DRAMATIC drop in average GPA and LSAT score for minorities who were admitted. This is not just a law school-specific thing - this happens all over the place, and I find it discouraging because if the real goal of affirmative action is to increase "diversity" admissions committees should realize that skin color is not the best indicator of a "diverse" background. My elite liberal arts college, for instance, touted how "diverse" they were when the majority of African-American students there were wealthy and had attended elite private secondary schools. That's not a whole lot different from the background of most of the whites. And if the goal is to somehow right past wrongs, again, admitting someone who already has every advantage doesn't make much sense.

In any case, it's certainly not in the schools' best interest to admit students who simply cannot be successful in the program and successful as a clinician. So, although affirmative action can at times result in admitting someone who is not ready for the rigors of the program, that's not what I am claiming here. I'm saying that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, the minority (ethnicity-wise, gender-wise, etc.) will tend to be admitted over the majority. (Except when it comes to Asians... there's an interesting new study out about that.)

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about this or anything like that. But, it's simply a known fact and denying it doesn't make much sense.

I just want to jump in to comment on the affirmative action issue. I know it's not politically correct to point out how prevalent it is, but it is prevalent, even in locations to which is is not difficult to attract minorities. I've worked in higher education for close to 15 years and have read the Chronicle of Higher Education on a regular basis and kept abreast of issues in admissions. When I was admitted to law school in a former life, there was a website - I believe it may have even been an ABA website - which gave stats for those admitted to several major law schools, and there was a DRAMATIC drop in average GPA and LSAT score for minorities who were admitted. This is not just a law school-specific thing - this happens all over the place, and I find it discouraging because if the real goal of affirmative action is to increase "diversity" admissions committees should realize that skin color is not the best indicator of a "diverse" background. My elite liberal arts college, for instance, touted how "diverse" they were when the majority of African-American students there were wealthy and had attended elite private secondary schools. That's not a whole lot different from the background of most of the whites. And if the goal is to somehow right past wrongs, again, admitting someone who already has every advantage doesn't make much sense.

In any case, it's certainly not in the schools' best interest to admit students who simply cannot be successful in the program and successful as a clinician. So, although affirmative action can at times result in admitting someone who is not ready for the rigors of the program, that's not what I am claiming here. I'm saying that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, the minority (ethnicity-wise, gender-wise, etc.) will tend to be admitted over the majority. (Except when it comes to Asians... there's an interesting new study out about that.)

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about this or anything like that. But, it's simply a known fact and denying it doesn't make much sense.
Ditto on all points. Altho even the Asian population will become a simplistic, available (they do well academically as a population.). And the Hispanic groupNot much sense in trying to argue or fight city hall on this. It is what it is ... for now. The pendelum will swing back, but for OT especially, being so WASPY white women in composition, and a "hot" rising job market, will become an ever-major target for PC proponents in higher education and its federal gov't. proponents. Watch and weep.:(

I'm saying that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, the minority (ethnicity-wise, gender-wise, etc.) will tend to be admitted over the majority. (Except when it comes to Asians... there's an interesting new study out about that.)

This is a very good point.

To be honest, you would need at least a 3.0 to get accepted into most, if any, masters in OT program.......Call up the admissions counselors for the programs that you're interested in and tell them about your situation. Maybe they can help you somehow.....Good luck! :luck:

Agreed. Get a reality check from several program counselors. Speculating, the news'll be painful. You've dug a deep hole relative to the OT admission process.

You should explore what many deficient med school applicants do to right their boats. Go and do an interim graduate program/degree/course of study. You come out of those with A's, it shows, unlike your undergrad performance, your academic ability realized, and your motivation to do what is necessary.

Like many others, I'm curious to know whether or not I would have a chance at getting accepted into an OT masters program. I've seen the benefit that OT has had for the individuals I support and would love to pursue it. Also, is it easier for guys to get into OT Programs because of the shortage of men in the profession?

Undergrad GPA: 2.97. I haven't taken any of the prereqs yet, so I would likely be able to get my cumulative GPA up to a 3.1 or 3.2 if I did well in them.

Work experience: I've been working with an org that provides support to individuals with developmental disabilities in a residential setting for about 10 months. I support individuals with a range of diagnosis (Prader Willi, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, traumatic brain injuries, spinal, spinal muscular atrophy, etc). Many of the people I support have OT's and I have been responsible for implementing the therapy programs set forth by the OTs. I have received training from OTs regarding proper therapy techniques.

I plan to start volunteering with an OT in the next couple months. I hope to do about 5-10 hours a week for the next year.

What are my chances? Is it worth spending the time and money fulfilling the prerequisite course material?

Thanks!

what about the students that have above a 3.0 cum GPA but less than 3.0 prereq. GPA. do they still have a chance?

Check with individual schools and see if they consider and read all applications. If all your pre-reqs are completed, it helps as well. My pre-req GPA for my top choice is below 3.0 because of one C, but I got B's in all other pre-reqs. For most other schools, my gpa is 3.0 or above. I just applied this week, so obviously I haven't heard from anywhere, but I hope all applicants have a chance. I am probably not going to apply there, but check out the University of Illinois-Chicago ot website. They encourage all applicants and state that although the average gpa is 3.7, the gpas for their class of about 40 students ranges from 2.83 to 4.0.

what about the students that have above a 3.0 cum GPA but less than 3.0 prereq. GPA. do they still have a chance?
Miracles happen. Nothing's hopeless. Still, yours is trying to get a sip from a fire hose. Very tough in light of the bed you've already made. Chickens do come home to roost.:(

Make a point if you haven't had to repeat any classes. Most schools only consider the highest grade. if you have no d or f's or w's in required classes it helps, especially for statistics, anatomy, and physiology.

I know it's been awhile since you posted the question but I wanted to check how things are doing and which route you decide to take. Hopefully you answer with good news!

I would like to know how things turned out as well! :)