HELP!!! Low mcat, good GPA (Canadian applicant)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmann11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
I am confused whether to go for Caribbean (SGU or SABA) this september or apply to DO school this cycle and wait for it. My stats are : 3.93 AACOMAS gpa.. 3.89 sGPA. but a low mcat score of 24+ (6V,10,8). Coz of my low mcat i thought of applying to Caribbean schools. I have about 150 hours shadowing an MD physician, I was a VP for a charity club at my university for two years, I participated and acted as a dancer/choreographer for various clubs at uni and have over 2000 hours in it, also mentored/tutored for almost 800 hours, tutor for children with special needs (200 hours) , volunteered at pharmacy for about 320 hours, and other ECs. I want an honest opinion as if i stand any chance at getting into DO schools? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good GPA and good EC's. MCAT is low but not too low that it will hurt you from getting in somewhere. Apply DO (you will likely get in as is), and consider retaking the MCAT. Honestly, you don't need to think about going to the carib.

You have a good GPA and good EC's. MCAT is low but not too low that it will hurt you from getting in somewhere. Apply DO (you will likely get in as is), and consider retaking the MCAT. Honestly, you don't need to think about going to the carib.

Thanks a lot for addressing my question. I wasnt too sure if i could apply to DO schools. Dont wanna do the MCAT again..its such an hassle. Trying to find a DO to shadow in my area..but its so hard to find any here. Any suggestions for which DO schools to apply? Thank you

Retake your mcat and apply to Canadian schools. Study for it properly and get a 30+ to have more options US MD and Canadian schools.