HELP: low undergrad (c/s)GPA, million credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someturd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going to try to keep things short and concise: I'm a pharmacist, in my mid 20's, want to become a physician, mapping my route to get to med school (DO/MD, no matter to me, although I would prefer MD). Problem is, I goofed around in pharmacy school, just barely made it out with a cGPA of 2.90 (208 completed credits).

sGPA: 2.724 (2 semesters of bio, chem, orgo and calc, 1 semester of stats, medical microbio and physics, total of 38 credits in BCMP)
-Planning on taking my second semester of physics next year, after I pay down the rest of my student loans
-Took intro to physics 101, is there a difference between intro to physics and gen physics I/II?

I calculated that in order to get a 3.0 cGPA, I need to get a 3.8 for the next 26 credits that I take if I were to do some sort of DIY postbacc. I realize that I need to do an SMP, but my concern is that many med schools have GPA cutoffs; say I got into a reputable SMP with my 2.90 cGPA and did well there (lets say >3.6, and let's hypothetically say that I did well on the MCAT as well >513), would I still be auto-screened because of my 2.90? Do I have to get my 2.90 to a 3.0 before I apply for SMPs? Or would my SMP GPA be enough for most DO and MD schools?

Also FWIW, I took my science/BCMP classes in 2011-2013, graduated in 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: