Help making school list: 3.75 gpa; 510 MCAT; URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CDB123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an African-American traditional applicant from the South (and a first time poster on sdn; sorry in advance if my formatting is off)

3.75 cGPA; 3.45 sGPA
Yet to get official MCAT results back, but FLs were consistently around 510 (126/130/127/127)
Public state undergrad
30 hrs clinical volunteering
200 hrs non-clinical volunteering
400 hrs research
500-600 hours shadowing multiple specialties
Part-time job on campus since freshman year

Not sure what else to put, but I'm mainly wanting to know what schools are completely out of reach and would be a waste of time and money to apply to. Thanks for the help guys

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical experience is extremely low. Instead of all that shadowing, you should have done more clinical volunteering. I would suggest getting more hours before applying.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your MCAT score is at least 500 you should be competitive for U Mississippi. Post your actual score here when available and I will recommend additional schools depending on what your score is.

As long as your MCAT score is at least 500 you should be competitive for U Mississippi. Post your actual score here when available and I will recommend additional schools depending on what your score is.
I've just received my actual score. I made a 514. I've also used the last month to get more clinical volunteering hours so I'm up to 140 total. What would be a realistic list now?

I've just received my actual score. I made a 514. I've also used the last month to get more clinical volunteering hours so I'm up to 140 total. What would be a realistic list now?
I suggest these schools with your MCAT of 514
U Mississippi
Boston University
Tufts
Brown
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Jefferson
Georgetown
UVA
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Miami
Case Western
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
U Michigan
Tulane
St. Louis
USC Keck

Start with WashU and radiate outwards. Any school is yours. Be sure to include the HBCs (including UCLa/Drew) and U MS

I am an African-American traditional applicant from the South (and a first time poster on sdn; sorry in advance if my formatting is off)

3.75 cGPA; 3.45 sGPA
Yet to get official MCAT results back, but FLs were consistently around 510 (126/130/127/127)
Public state undergrad
30 hrs clinical volunteering
200 hrs non-clinical volunteering
400 hrs research
500-600 hours shadowing multiple specialties
Part-time job on campus since freshman year

Not sure what else to put, but I'm mainly wanting to know what schools are completely out of reach and would be a waste of time and money to apply to. Thanks for the help guys
I would definitely include Howard and Morehouse

@Goro: you are very sanguine about the prospects of URM applicants; @LizzyM claimed it was worth five to eight LizzyM points - which means that OP would be treated about like a non-URM applicant with a 3.8/520 or similar, if he was lucky. I think OP needs more midtiers.

@Goro: you are very sanguine about the prospects of URM applicants; @LizzyM claimed it was worth five to eight LizzyM points - which means that OP would be treated about like a non-URM applicant with a 3.8/520 or similar, if he was lucky. I think OP needs more midtiers.
Fana's list has plenty of Keck/Emory class schools.

Do not underestimate the need for URM doctors in this country.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I am an URM and future doctor. Faha's lists for strong URM applicants are, as a general rule, less sanguine than yours, Goro - and I happen to agree with Faha.